Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
dandjh1958

RV Cover questions

I know where are probably several different types of covers for our new RV but I just wanted to get some input from the more experienced folks on this forum. (Yes I am kissing up to you folks!!)

We are storing at a RV storage company about 5 miles from our house. It is outdoors. We want to get a cover to help protect it.
We live in the Pacific Northwest in the valley- lots of rain and occasional light snow on the valley floor.
Sunbrella? Tyvek? Any particular brand?

We'd rather spend the $$ and get a good quality cover that will last for years with proper care.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
therink

Hi
I currently use a heavy duty silver 20' x 40' square tarp that I purchased at Tractor Supply Store about 5 years ago. This is the second trailer I have used it on. I paid $130 for it. Prior to that I paid $300 for an ADCO custom fit cover for my former 31' TT. The cover lasted one winter, with tears at both rear corners and at the antenna location on the roof. The tarp has no tears after 5 years.
While the tarp is not custom fit, all it takes is a little creativity when tying it down to have a nice tight fit. I use about 150' of 3/16" rope (cost $7) to tie it down. It is as tight as a drum and stands up well to the winter winds here in Western NY. I never experienced moisture or mold problems, as I have vent covers and leave the roof vents open. My rig sits under trees and the tarp also stays very clean even when covered with wet leaves. I cant say this for a tyvek material fabric cover. Also, the plastic grommets on the tarp do not scratch the trailer sides, keeping in mine it is tied down very tightly. It takes me about 2 hours to cover it.
I would not cover it any other way.
Just my 2 cents

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
cathcartww

The fit is the most important thing ...

I think the fit (or at least the way you tie the cover down) is the most important part of getting good results with a cover. The stock covers may or may not fit your rig properly depending on the actual dimensions of the cover compared to your trailer. The first cover we had was the cheapest we could find - an Expedition brand made of a non-woven fake tyvek material. It lasted almost three seasons until the fabric and cheap zippers just fell apart.

We replaced it with a semicustom sunbrella cover by CalMark. Absolutely no comparison in quality. Made to our specific dimensions in the USA from fabric made in the USA. Fit like a glove, and was still in perfect shape when we traded the trailer. Now have a new CalMark for the new trailer.

With the two of use, we can get it on and secured in about a half an hour.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjh1958 View Post
I know where are probably several different types of covers for our new RV but I just wanted to get some input from the more experienced folks on this forum. (Yes I am kissing up to you folks!!)

We are storing at a RV storage company about 5 miles from our house. It is outdoors. We want to get a cover to help protect it.
We live in the Pacific Northwest in the valley- lots of rain and occasional light snow on the valley floor.
Sunbrella? Tyvek? Any particular brand?

We'd rather spend the $$ and get a good quality cover that will last for years with proper care.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
We just purchased an Adco Tyvek for our Alpine fiver. We stopped by the CW at Wilsonville, OR on Sunday and saw the display of the Aquashed and Tyvek covers. In my opinion, the Tyvek was worth the extra expense because of the extra features. For the amount that we spent for our fiver, this is cheap insurance for when we store our rig this winter.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
dandjh1958

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm heading to CW in Wilsonville this week anyway to get some needed supplies for the TT. I'll check out the covers there.
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote