Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
RvWife96

Outback 341rd

My husband and I just purchased our 2nd RV and we got the 2021 Outback 341RD. We absolutely love this camper. We have a couple issues we are running into. One is the sewer drain outlets outside. On this TT they put two outlets, that’s not a problem, a little different than our last one. We’re trying to get the hang of it still, but they put the outlet for the black and one gray tank at 45 degrees facing towards the ground. This makes it very difficult to drain our black tank and it still make it through the hoses without lifting up the hoses. Is there anything anyone else has done to fix this issue? The other issue we’re having is our leveling system keeps putting our TT leaning forward. It says it’s level but it’s just staying more towards the front? Can this be fixed or is this something we’re gonna have to deal with? Thanks for the help!
RvWife96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
MarkEHansen

On the sewer connections, you can get 45-degree adapters to make it better. I always have to lift my drain hose to help the drainage, so perhaps I'm not the best one to answer that.

As to the auto level, there is a procedure to "set" the level position for the trailer. You basically use manual mode to level the trailer and then perform this "set" operation.
The exact steps are listed in the manual for your specific auto level product. It's likely manufactured by Lippert and the manuals are available on their site.

One word of caution: When doing the manual adjustments, adjust the front/rear up/down or the left/right up/down - but do not adjust individual level legs, as this may twist the frame beyond limits.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
RvWife96

Thank you so much! We've had the idea of a 45 instead of a 90 but just haven’t tried it yet to see how it does.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
ajlight

I did this to adjust our level and it worked great.

We had our first Outback with the BAL 7.1 level system in the shop and could not find any information on how to set the zero point. Luckily we got the answer from a Tech at Norco industries. It is much easier than changing the position of the box inside the compartment. first hit manual mode twice and manually level your coach with a level on the floor or where ever you desire to level from. Then hold the battery (voltage) button down until the keypad screen appears. We went back into the home screen to do this. Not sure if that is necessary but it worked. Then punch in 9588 or 3759 according to the tech. We used 9588 and it worked. screen should now have a set button. Push the set button. You should get a beep and level point should now be set. We of course stored all the jacks and tested the system to make sure it worked. And it did. Hope this helps someone out.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:03 AM   #5
RvWife96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlight View Post
I did this to adjust our level and it worked great.

We had our first Outback with the BAL 7.1 level system in the shop and could not find any information on how to set the zero point. Luckily we got the answer from a Tech at Norco industries. It is much easier than changing the position of the box inside the compartment. first hit manual mode twice and manually level your coach with a level on the floor or where ever you desire to level from. Then hold the battery (voltage) button down until the keypad screen appears. We went back into the home screen to do this. Not sure if that is necessary but it worked. Then punch in 9588 or 3759 according to the tech. We used 9588 and it worked. screen should now have a set button. Push the set button. You should get a beep and level point should now be set. We of course stored all the jacks and tested the system to make sure it worked. And it did. Hope this helps someone out.
Thank you for that!
Old 03-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
RVDad89

We just bought the same TT and love it as well! We used the drain hose support, slinky type thing, and had no issues with the black tank draining, worked great!!

As for the auto level, we didn't have any issues BUT the dealer did say upon pickup, if it's not 1st done on a level surface it will not work correctly. Some good suggestions here but maybe take it somewhere with a flat/level surface and try to calibrate it there, just a thought!

Good luck!!
Old 03-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
MarkEHansen

If not first done on a level surface? This makes no sense to me. The point of the auto-level is to level the trailer regardless of the surface (within it's limits, of course). In fact, if you want to "calibrate" it (set it's zero or level point), you can do that anywhere as well (again, within the limits of the system).

Incidentally, wouldn't the dealer have tested the auto-level system as part of the PDI? Wouldn't their surface have been reasonably level? Did the dealer mean the first use of auto-level after it left their lot??? - Something just doesn't seem right.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #8
RvWife96

So after having the 45 on our black tank portion, it works a lot better than it did before. We also have an appointment with our dealer tomorrow to get all of our warranty stuff taken care of. So hopefully they can fix all of our issues we’ve had with our leveling system and everything else. Thanks for the input y’all! Been super helpful!
Old 03-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
RvWife96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
If not first done on a level surface? This makes no sense to me. The point of the auto-level is to level the trailer regardless of the surface (within it's limits, of course). In fact, if you want to "calibrate" it (set it's zero or level point), you can do that anywhere as well (again, within the limits of the system).

Incidentally, wouldn't the dealer have tested the auto-level system as part of the PDI? Wouldn't their surface have been reasonably level? Did the dealer mean the first use of auto-level after it left their lot??? - Something just doesn't seem right.
As a matter of fact when we looked at the rv the first time we didn’t notice that it was not level but upon getting it home and the several rv parks we’ve been to, it’s been unlevel and it’s super noticeable. Even on pavement or gravel. We’re getting it fixed tomorrow thankfully!
Old 03-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvWife96 View Post
As a matter of fact when we looked at the rv the first time we didn’t notice that it was not level but upon getting it home and the several rv parks we’ve been to, it’s been unlevel and it’s super noticeable. Even on pavement or gravel. We’re getting it fixed tomorrow thankfully!

The level system has a procedure to adjust the level position. Have your dealer show you how to do it - you may need to do it again sometime. You can also find the instructions in the manual for the leveling system. I did the process on our trailer - it was super easy.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with Mark. The dealer did not, or didn't know how to, calibrate level with the auto level. I would be there when they did it and ask to watch and have it explained. See if they actually know HOW to do it. If they are fumbling through a manual and searching the internet might be better off doing it yourself.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #12
RvWife96

We just got back with our RV from our appointment, they explained on the new 2021 outback that the leveling system cannot be calibrated because the sensors for the system are on the frame so if the frame says it’s level then it’s level. They told us just stop it before it gets to the stabilizers and adjust the front to come up. So not much we can really do on that anymore. Oh well, it’s not a huge deal to have to lift up the front. I’m just glad they did fix most of our issues we were having.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #13
MarkEHansen

Do you have an auto level system? If so, I think there should be one of two things:
1. It should level the trailer completely; or
2. It should provide a means to adjust the level position so #1 works.

I think the dealer is wrong. You should check with the service manager and then with the General Manager of the dealership. If you get the same responses there, you should check with Keystone directly. Something doesn't seem right.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #14
RvWife96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Do you have an auto level system? If so, I think there should be one of two things:
1. It should level the trailer completely; or
2. It should provide a means to adjust the level position so #1 works.

I think the dealer is wrong. You should check with the service manager and then with the General Manager of the dealership. If you get the same responses there, you should check with Keystone directly. Something doesn't seem right.
I totally agree with you! Something about that just didn’t seem right. But with my husband and I having to leave for Colorado soon we didn’t have a choice to argue with them on it, wasn’t really worth the hassle. We may have someone else look at it and tell us differently but who knows.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:10 AM   #15
RVDad89

Have you tried going into manual mode where you can see the floating level ball? This mode allows you to make small adjustments manually and you can see the level position according to the system. We have the 341RD and on 2 occasions now I've had to make some minor adjustments via this screen, it's super easy!
Old 03-29-2021, 05:15 AM   #16
RvWife96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDad89 View Post
Have you tried going into manual mode where you can see the floating level ball? This mode allows you to make small adjustments manually and you can see the level position according to the system. We have the 341RD and on 2 occasions now I've had to make some minor adjustments via this screen, it's super easy!
We did and it always says it’s like way off even when you can clearly see that it’s level. We’ve just gotten to the point we let the side to side level and then stop it and level it front to back manually and just throw down the stabilizers. It’s unfortunately just been easier or we’ll end up completely unlevel.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:21 AM   #17
RVDad89

Somethings definitely not right there!! I would push the service manager at the dealer and MAKE them fix that!

Good Luck!!
Old 04-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #18
Gunny Mike

We had no problems with our 2019 RD the first year then we started having problems with the leveling system on year two. Some stabilizers stay on the ground and some only go up 3/4 of the way. Took it to the dealer for repair and he said there is nothing wrong. I showed him the picture of the stabilizer not completely up and said that's in the same position I left it here at at. I drove 4 hours round trip and didn't pay on it nor did I pick my trailer up for my vacation next week. I'm getting to old and sitting on the ground moving the motor by hand with a ratchet takes forever. My weekend trips were a pain when trying to leave and see a stabilizer on the ground and didn't budge.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #19
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
We had no problems with our 2019 RD the first year then we started having problems with the leveling system on year two. Some stabilizers stay on the ground and some only go up 3/4 of the way. Took it to the dealer for repair and he said there is nothing wrong. I showed him the picture of the stabilizer not completely up and said that's in the same position I left it here at at. I drove 4 hours round trip and didn't pay on it nor did I pick my trailer up for my vacation next week. I'm getting to old and sitting on the ground moving the motor by hand with a ratchet takes forever. My weekend trips were a pain when trying to leave and see a stabilizer on the ground and didn't budge.

Do you have "Stabilizers" or "Levelers"? Perhaps you can provide a picture?
Old 04-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #20
Gunny Mike

Have both with system but the stabilizers are giving me problems. After being stored for 6 months a front one didn't go up with hitch reconnect. The back one at the same side stays down some times when we reconnect . At times it goes up but not completely like the others. I feel like the system is calibrated as the motor for that stabilizer stops short. Don't know if there is way to have one go up with the controller up front. The only way I know is using a socket and turning the motor screw by hand. Very slow process as it moves 1/4 of an inch at most. Can't use a drill driver either which would help.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback