Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreene View Post
I may have spoken to soon?? I know I haven’t add them and didn’t realize they were putting these on new units from the factory. I will definitely check that tomorrow and update!!
The EZ Lube system is not an "add on". The "bearing buddy" system (typically used on boat trailers is an "add on". The EZ Lube system is a "machined in part of the spindle/hub construction and is incorporated in the spindle/hub design during manufacturing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #22
mgreene

Ok, thanks for the info. I was thinking it would be something similar to the buddy bearing we use to add. I’ve done a little searching and saw a fair amount of controversy in using them. Mostly looked like issues with folks putting way to much grease in them but I will search some more before deciding on using them or manually packing the bearings. Need to pull the hubs anyway to check for grease on the shoes!
Old 11-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #23
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I don't know about the Chevy brake controller, but the Ford one does not send any voltage to the trailer brakes unless you are going at least 5 mph. I thought mine was broken until I read about this on one of the forums.
I noticed that with my 2014 F150 ecob, on a slight downward grade while going very slow and truck in neutral, pinching the controller seemed to do nothing! Very confusing when you get more of a reaction when significantly rolling. How can that be a good thing?
Old 11-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #24
skids

Something else might be noteworthy. I previously had a Jayco 195RB that had one Dexter 3500 lb axle. Dexter reportedly claimed that the brakes were not capable of lockup on dry pavement. My Keystone Bullet has two of those axles.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #25
LewisB

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info. I was thinking it would be something similar to the buddy bearing we use to add. I’ve done a little searching and saw a fair amount of controversy in using them. Mostly looked like issues with folks putting way to much grease in them but I will search some more before deciding on using them or manually packing the bearings. Need to pull the hubs anyway to check for grease on the shoes!
While you are checking, see if you have the "forward brake adjusters" on your brakes (log on the the e-Trailer site and you can see the difference in appearance of the non vs auto adjusted setup).

Then check the brake adjustment. If this is a brand new trailer, the brakes may need to be manually adjusted (or some time for the auto-adjusters to do their thing).
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Due the crappy factory grease seals it's almost a given if you, or anyone else, pumps ANY grease into those zerks it'll find it's way into the drums.
There's a handful of folks that swear by the EZ lube system, but the majority swear at it, I'm in the 2nd group, will never use it.
Unless you travel a significant amount of miles every year an annual, or every other year, hand packing should be plenty & gives the opportunity to inspect the entire system.
I wouldn't pump any grease through the EZ lube any more often than you'd hand pack them, but some believe they need a couple shots of grease every time they take off, THEY DO NOT!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #27
owen4it

I’ve got the same truck and I’ve never skidded the tires on my fifth wheel! I pull out of the driveway and while rolling I’ll hit the manual trailer brakes to feel them just grab, I keep it adjusted to about 5. You don’t want them to skid because if you panick stop or make a quick maneuver, the trailer could come out around you.
owen4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #28
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I noticed that with my 2014 F150 ecob, on a slight downward grade while going very slow and truck in neutral, pinching the controller seemed to do nothing! Very confusing when you get more of a reaction when significantly rolling. How can that be a good thing?
I guess Ford thinks the tow vehicle brakes are sufficient at speeds less than 5 mph. Pinching the controller below 5 mph on mine does nothing.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I guess Ford thinks the tow vehicle brakes are sufficient at speeds less than 5 mph. Pinching the controller below 5 mph on mine does nothing.
The reason for that feature is to help reduce the "chucking" in fifth wheel trailer towing in "slow moving stop and go traffic".... For me, it's a very welcome feature any time I'm on an interstate and there's an accident 4 or 5 miles ahead and all the traffic is "stop and go for miles and miles"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 AM   #30
jimborokz

Have you tried pulling the breakaway switch and see if you can pull the trailer forward. That way you know the trailer brakes are adjusted properly and the issues is with the controller.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #31
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Have you tried pulling the breakaway switch and see if you can pull the trailer forward. That way you know the trailer brakes are adjusted properly and the issues is with the controller.
I haven't done the skid test. I do have mine set until I can feel the trailer actually showing signs of pull on the truck, and it is quite easy to stop. I run mine at about 4.5 on the integrated controller. If I'm on a long trip I might set it at 5 due to extra cargo.
I would definitely check out Jim's thought (good call) anyway to ensure the breakaway switch is working.
It could be your brakes might need slight adjustment even though it's new.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:10 AM   #32
mgreene

I am going to pull the hubs and check the brakes and check adjustments before taking any trips towards the hills. It does stop very well, but that is with my gain set to 10 so I’m hoping it’s just an adjustment issue!