Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
jbruere

Water leaking from outside water heater compartment

Hi all. New to owning a camper and this is our second time out. We purchased a 2012 Hideout 27DBS last Thursday and camped all weekend with no problems. Last night we took the camper back out to the campground and noticed one problem. We filled our fresh water tank (we don't have city water hookup), turned the pump on, let the lines clear out and the water heater fill up and turned on the electric switch for the water heater. Thought all was well and then noticed while we were eating supper that we have a slow leak coming from the outside water heater "compartment." The only thing we did different this time was put some teflon tape around the threads of the anode for the water heater. It does not look like the water is coming from the pressure relief valve or through the anode threads. I turned the pump off for the night and the water leak stopped. This morning I turned the pum back on for a shower and noticed the water was leaking again.

Any thoughts or help from all of you veteran campers?? I think we may have to drop it off at the dealer on our way home this weekend

Any help is much appreciated!!! Other than this, I LOVE my camper. Definitely beats the tent we've used for the past 4+ years!
jbruere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
DocData757

With the pump off, open the water heater compartment cover and dry everything out as best your can. Open up a valve inside and turn on the pump. Leaving the valve open should make the pump run continuously. Then, use a paper towel and keep wiping around the water heater compartment until you notice a wet spot on the paper towel. Then double check (turn of the pump, dry everything good and redo the test).

Good luck!
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

DOCDATA HAS THE RIGHT IDEA BUT YOU MAY WANT TO ADD SOME FOOD COLORING TO THE WATER. IT HELPEED ME FIND A LEAK THE CLEAR WATER WAS HARD TO SEE INTHE BRIGHT SUN BUT THAT LITTLE TRACE OF RED WORKED GREAT. JUST MAKE SURE YOU TELL THE DW BEFORE SHE TURNS THE FAUCET ON!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Roberson4

I would guess the anode is not tightened enough.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

I'd tend to agree with Roberson4...... If you have an anode/drain valve combination, it may need to be tightened up a bit. Try doing this, bit by bit, until the dripping stops. Sometimes, it will leak more when the water is being heated or when your pump is on. I am assuming that the water is dripping from that anode/drain valve location.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
jbruere

Thanks everyone. As soon as I can get out of work I'm heading back out. I will try to tighten that anode a bit more. I'm hoping that's the fix. Darn work getting in the way of play again!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
DocData757

Yes, it could be that the anode is leaking but DO NOT tighten it until you have confirmed that is the leak! If it is not the leak you could damage the water heater. Find the leak and then correct the leak. Don't guess.

BTW, the idea of the food dye is an excellent idea!!!! We did that in the shipyard when reactivating water systems after overhaul (although it wasn't food dye). We used different colors for different systems so when they called in a leak, we had a starting place of where to look.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Ron

As you mentioned before the relief valve on the WH you said was not leaking, but sometimes they do drip a little then stop. An RV has a closed system, when you use hot water and as it heats up again it expands with no where to go except out the relief valve, also thats why when you turn on a faucet/shower and for just a moment you will have alot of pressure then it will go back to the pump or city water pressure, that hot water is just looking for somewhere to excape to. Happy Campin.............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

As Ron said it may be the tank is pressurizing. That also means you need
to get an air bubble in the tank.

Allow the tank to cool off, Turn off the water supply if city or turn off the pump,
open a faucet or 2, then go outside and open the pressure/thermial relief valve
until it stops dripping. Go back inside and close the faucets. Then turn on the water
city or pump, whichever way you are working it.
The system isn't designed for it to be 'under pressure' all of the time. The only
pressure should be from the city water system (with a regulater 40 -50
psi), or from the pump.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
jbruere

Great news!!! We got the correct size socket and tightened the anode a little and the leaking stopped!!! I'm so happy that there isn't something else wrong. Thanks everyone for all of the support. I've learned so much in so little time already!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Roberson4

Glad to hear it was that simple!!

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote