Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #41
Bill-2020

Having not seen or read this before, I find it comforting that I've been in the habit of feeling the wheel and quickly test-touching the hub through the spokes to make sure nothing is excessively hot while on short stops for bladders and refueling. I'll take the idea of the IR temp gun to heart and get one.

I also watch the TPMS like a hawk for not only PSI but TEMPS too. I know, I know. The temps are not accurate for inner tire air temperature because it's on the stem, but I figure if one is running hot, I'll at least see a higher temp and that'll cause me to pull off and investigate (I use the small TireMinder that shows all four wheels at the same time, all the time).
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:29 AM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

I have the tire minder as well but I like the idea of getting the surface temp. Air is not the best thermal conductor. Typical insulation in a home, whether it's fiberglass, rock wool, or Styrofoam works by "trapping" small pockets of air.

I use a Harbor freight IR gun that cost <$20. It's accurate enough for the task IMO. I have even bent down and shot the rear diff after a long steep pull.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:00 AM   #43
mwemaxxowner

I have always just used my hands to touch my hubs, wheels, and tires when I stopped. I haven't used a temp gun, but I'm not sure why not. I actually have one I use to measure the temps on the brushless motors on my RC cars as I work on dialing in the gearing to tire changes. I could put it in the truck.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
I have always just used my hands to touch my hubs, wheels, and tires when I stopped. I haven't used a temp gun, but I'm not sure why not. I actually have one I use to measure the temps on the brushless motors on my RC cars as I work on dialing in the gearing to tire changes. I could put it in the truck.
I used to check temperature on the tires and the hubs using my hand/fingers. Then one day I felt a tire that "seemed a little warm", thought nothing of it, stuck my hand through the spokes on the wheel to feel the hub and heard a sizzling sound as my fingers were soldered to the hub.... I learned a couple of valuable lessons that day, first, don't stick your hands through tiny holes and second, it hurts to drive with burned/bandaged fingers, not to mention making it impossible to fish (the reason for that trip)…. I've used a thermometer since that day....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #45
mwemaxxowner

Ouch, that sounds awful!
Old 06-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #46
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I used to check temperature on the tires and the hubs using my hand/fingers. Then one day I felt a tire that "seemed a little warm", thought nothing of it, stuck my hand through the spokes on the wheel to feel the hub and heard a sizzling sound as my fingers were soldered to the hub.... I learned a couple of valuable lessons that day, first, don't stick your hands through tiny holes and second, it hurts to drive with burned/bandaged fingers, not to mention making it impossible to fish (the reason for that trip)…. I've used a thermometer since that day....
The "Caution! Some Items May Be Hot" sign had already burnt off I guess!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #47
mwemaxxowner

The camper was parked beside a field and some woods over the winter and some mice moved in and made it home. Try as I might all winter with traps and poison I just couldn't quite shake em.

I'm going through the whole thing today cleaning out all drawers, nooks/crannies, removing EVERYTHING, washing, cleaning, getting ready for our first trip this season next weekend!

I pray the mice won't be a problem here at our new house.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:23 AM   #48
mwemaxxowner

We had a great trip!

The peace of mind knowing that the hubs and bearings were fresh, torqued to spec, etc was very nice.