Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #21
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
I was speaking about an a 1/2 ton not a F250/F350 that is built and intended to carry a load. Of course they are going to recommend max pressure. And I did state that filling to 80psi cold for a long trip could be dangerous.

But running tires at max pressure is recommended if you are running a heavy load... no matter what truck they are one.

Running tires at 80 psi cold for a long trip is just fine, and not dangerous at all, if the tires are rated for it.

Running at max pressure and max load poses no danger at all. (Assuming the truck isn't overweight.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
jkohler70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenhank View Post
Are you increasing the pressure in all four tires or just the rears?

I inflate all 4. I assume I am distributing increased weight to the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
John,
I agree with everything you have stated with exception to point one. I never stated there was a difference in the actual tire on an F150 vs F250/F350. The conversation you noted was based on the door sticker on an F250/350 is noted at 80psi vs a F150 that is rated below on the psi. Thanks for the good conversation always like to hear other people's opinions. You have a great summer and keep the shiny side up.
John S.
Carrottop,
The purpose of my posts is NOT to argue with you. The purpose is to refute your inaccurate information so that readers who might not know the facts do not put themselves at risk by following inaccurate advice.

The specific posts that you made are not accurate:
"Loading 80psi in a LT tire cold could be dangerous."
"No manufacturer would recommend running their tires at max psi for an extended road trip under load."
"Loading 80psi in a LT tire cold could be dangerous."

Those statements are false. They could cause someone without experience to make bad choices and put their equipment and family at risk.

The SOLE purpose of my posting in this thread is to attempt to prevent someone from using inaccurate information to make choices that might cause them problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Adding fuel to the fire. My checks show that on my truck with a heavy truck camper in bed ie, as I recall 7200lbs rear axle wt. Rear tire had better start at 80psi. Then rechecks I have really done show that in over 100 degree outside air airs and over a mt. range the tires were as high as 96 psi. I did ask the tire shop at next rotation, SO take this was anyway anyone wants. He said the tire maker made the tire knowing that it will get hot and PSI will raise. He said my the big trucks ei 1 tons heavy load he did not think 96 psi was any problem. We did that trip yearly in july, PDX to San Fan So far after about 15 years it has not been a problem. Rubber valve stems have been a problem. They split apart from the heat and load.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I've opted not to be a part of this conversation, but, as John pointed out, each of us are stewards of what is said on the forum and what inexperienced folks are guided in.

As one person said, his "knowledgeable guy", with 40 years dealing with tires said, "you never air up to recommended sidewall pressure" because they heat up. As has been explained, this is just plain wrong and "old woman" hearsay from decades ago.

I read this post earlier and just went down and talked to "my" guy, whose family has been running the local tire store for 50+ years - his words, "the max psi on the side of the tire is cold pressure. It will rise but that is what Michelin (what we were discussing) builds into their tire pressures". It goes for all tires best I know from everyone I've talked to in the past years including DT.

Not trying to have an argument but I think all knowledgeable folks understand that the psi on the side of the tire is for cold pressure inflation and that it will rise.....it's built in and there is no concern.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:02 AM   #26
jkohler70

I think we've all encountered people who professed expertise in a particular field who proved to be less knowledgeable than they presented. Why wouldn't you trust someone who has "worked with tires for 40 years"? Unfortunately, people like that can be dangerous.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #27
canesfan

Quote:
You are correct, however that is the MAX the manufacturer is recommending that is really used for extreme loads and shot distance. No manufacturer would recommend running their tires at max psi for an extended road trip under load. Even if you look at your door sticker and assuming you have the factory tires on your truck the sticker will show a lower psi than the max on the side of the tire. There is a reason for that. Again not wanting to debate and in my opinion you need to inflate to what feels right to you when driving.

Just my thoughts on it.
I'm no "expert" on tires, there are some on here who are, and most things seem to have been addressed so far, but one comment that stood out to me that hasn't is " in my opinion you need to inflate to what feels right to you when driving." So what if I think 65 psi "feels right" to me, or 85 psi? At 65 my tires will be overloaded and at 85 the tires will be over inflated. Yes, I know better, but some don't and this kind of advice shouldn't just be thrown out there without some qualifiers and consideration.

Also, re your other comment above, my door sticker, with the OEM tires, called for 80 psi in the rears. It did not call for something less than the COLD max psi on the tire. I think that was already addressed above though.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #28
Carrottop

Not to get into this debate again as everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. Here is a section on Maximum tire pressure from Kal Tire (National dealer across Canada not sure if they are in the US.)

"
The Maximum

Somewhere on the sidewall of your tire, just below the big, bold letters of the manufacturer, for example, you might have noticed the words ‘Max. Press. 35 PSI.’ That number tells you the maximum cold pressure needed for your tire to carry its maximum load.
We mention ‘cold’ pressure because that means you’re filling up your tires at the ideal time—when they’re cold. First thing in the morning or after sitting for a few hours in the shade is best.
Usually, your tire’s maximum tire pressure is somewhere between 30 and 32 PSI.
What happens if you inflate your tires to the max PSI?
  • The handling characteristics change
    Since tires inflated to the max can’t give as much on the sidewall, you might see superior cornering, but it could be at the risk of your braking threshold. One quick corner and your back end could slide out.
  • The life of your tire decreases. When your tires are inflated too much, the rubber rounds out at the top of the tire when you’re driving, and the center will quickly wear out. You’ll also reduce your traction and you could even cause a blowout. Check out our post on avoiding blowouts.
So, what’s the right tire pressure for your vehicle?
The Optimum

You’ll find the manufacturer’s optimum or recommended tire pressure for your car on a sticker in the door jam, or in your owner’s manual. Some models even place the stickers on the trunk lid, in the console or on the fuel door.
Recommended pressure is usually between 30 and 35 PSI. That number indicates the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support your vehicle’s maximum load-carrying capacity. Any less, and you’ll see poor fuel economy and handling as well as premature wear from too much flexing and tire overloading.
When your tires are inflated to the recommended PSI, you enjoy their optimum life and performance."

I wont post on this thread anymore as clearly everyone is an expert. I just wanted to refute people saying I was giving bad or inaccurate information, in actuality I was giving an opinion which everyone has a right to do. You can choose to listen to it or disregard it.

Happy Camping everyone I hope you have a great Summer.
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:

You’ll find the manufacturer’s optimum or recommended tire pressure for your car on a sticker in the door jam, or in your owner’s manual. Some models even place the stickers on the trunk lid, in the console or on the fuel door.

Recommended pressure is usually between 30 and 35 PSI. That number indicates the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support your vehicle’s maximum load-carrying capacity. Any less, and you’ll see poor fuel economy and handling as well as premature wear from too much flexing and tire overloading.

When your tires are inflated to the recommended PSI, you enjoy their optimum life and performance."

I wont post on this thread anymore as clearly everyone is an expert. I just wanted to refute people saying I was giving bad or inaccurate information, in actuality I was giving an opinion which everyone has a right to do. You can choose to listen to it or disregard it.

Happy Camping everyone I hope you have a great Summer.
Your statement above marked in red is sort of misleading..

Vehicle manufacturers must set recommended tire inflation pressures in accordance with directions outlined in FMVSS standards.

The section of the Maxxis reference you are using in your statement is referring to passenger tires being used on automotive vehicles. Those tires must provide a percentage of load capacity reserves via inflation.

The following is an excerpt from FMVSS 571.110, paragraph S4.2.1.1. "The vehicle maximum load on the tire shall not be greater than the applicable maximum load rating as marked on the sidewall of the tire.

It is followed by by paragraph, S4.2.1.2 The vehicle normal load on the tire shall not be greater than 94 percent of the load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.

All tires fitted to applicable automotive vehicles use that procedure.

All tires fitted to RV trailer axles use a procedure that does not provide any load capacity reserves. That's why you will almost always see tires fritted to trailer axles with recommended inflation pressures equal to the tire's sidewall inflation pressures.

This is an excerpt from FMVSS 571.120, paragraph S5.3.1 " The size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

Remember, the vehicle manufacturer gets to deem what's appropriate, not the tire manufacturer. If they say 65 PSI is appropriate than that's the benchmark for the OE tires and any like sized replacements. Those that fool around with those appropriate recommendations make up the majority of owners with early tire failures. I say early because all tires will fail if used long enough.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing