Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
vantage32fls

Installation of Mor/ Ryde shackle kit CRE/3000

Just ordered the upgrade Mor/ Ryde heavy duty shackle kit for the CRE/3000 tandem axle. The upgrade kit is for the SRE/4000 so Dyers RV tells me, price of $88.47 with shipping. To bad that Keystone didn't install the wet bolts when they built our Vantage with the Mor/Ryde. My question is the Vantage has a light weight frame by Norco which is huck fastened. How do I jack the trailer up with a light weight frame without any damage? Or do I have to raise tires off ground for the installation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Since the kit you bought is made for your trailer ... I would wait and follow the directions that comes with the kit. But if it is like the Dexter kit you will have to jack the frame and the axles to position the bolts. If it makes you comfortable place a piece of 2x between the jack head and the frame to spread the weight and only lift the axle by the spring mount.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Desert185

Do one side at a time with all stabilizers extended. Ensure opposite side tires are chocked.

Support the frame with jack stands forward and aft of the axles on the side you are working.

Jack under the ubolts near the tire enough to remove the tire. Remove jack.

Repeat on the other tire.

Replace the equalizer (if that is what you are doing) and then do one wet bolt at a time, consider whether you want the zerk fitting on the inside or outside for lubing convenience when the tires are mounted.

Clock the wetbolts so that the lube hole in them is at 9 or 3 o'clock. Read the instructions.

If you have more questions, PM me and I'll give you my cell number.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
slow

This thread may provide some of the insights you are looking for: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=24991
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage32fls View Post
Just ordered the upgrade Mor/ Ryde heavy duty shackle kit for the CRE/3000 tandem axle. The upgrade kit is for the SRE/4000 so Dyers RV tells me, price of $88.47 with shipping. To bad that Keystone didn't install the wet bolts when they built our Vantage with the Mor/Ryde. My question is the Vantage has a light weight frame by Norco which is huck fastened. How do I jack the trailer up with a light weight frame without any damage? Or do I have to raise tires off ground for the installation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I was wondering why they were installing the hardware for the 4000 system when you had the 3000 as do I. Looked at the MorRyde web page and the kits are the same. I want to do the same thing so trying to figure out what was happening.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
rhagfo

Something to think about with installing the bronze bushings in the equalizer, I got some dry Ice, placed the placed on the bottom of a paper bag, placed the bushings on top of the dry ice, then put the bag in the freezer over night.

This made pressing the bushings into the equalizer much easier, I used my bench vice for this process.

BE SURE, to ware nice leather gloves when handling the frozen bushings!!!!

Slow, where did you get the jack stands with the built in jack, those look slick!!

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

Slow, where did you get the jack stands with the built in jack, those look slick!!

I purchased mine a few years back at a local auto supply store in Canada on sale. Here is a review I posted previously: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hlight=unijack

Here are a couple of US based source, there are probably others: https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Power...ALL620471.html
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-62.../dp/B00GJJZ5NI
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
Jeepshots

Pepboys has them. If you new to their online ordering, they'll give you a 25% off promotional code, so that's a $15 savings on each one, dropping it to $45. Two for $90.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
mfifield01

I've been thinking about doing this upgrade. Does anyone have a propane line in the way of the frame? On the curb side (right) of the trailer, I have propane line that runs all way to the back for the grill. When I jacked that side up before, I had to jack on the axle where the u-bolt is mounted.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I've been thinking about doing this upgrade. Does anyone have a propane line in the way of the frame? On the curb side (right) of the trailer, I have propane line that runs all way to the back for the grill. When I jacked that side up before, I had to jack on the axle where the u-bolt is mounted.
Post #4 (Part 4) in this thread shows how I dealt with the propane line that I also have: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=24991

I jack on the axle under the spring as you do and support the frame using a 3/4" x 1 1/2" hardwood block along with a 1/8" aluminum shim to avoid the propane line.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
mfifield01

Thanks. I was worried that the area next to the propane line wouldn't be wide enough to get support.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 AM   #12
Dave W

Missed this thread .........

Seems that several here have done the wet bolt mod on theirs. I've just replaced our 5er's along with new springs. Surprisingly, the bronze bushings that I installed about 15,000 miles back, and well greased, are mostly shot, i.e. look as bad as the original nylon pieces did after 4-5000 miles. I'll do a write up later, but am curious if anyone has used the Lippert Never Fail bushing instead of the bronze with a wet bolt mod.

In doing your wet bolt mod, have the shackles reversed(CRE3000 suspension) when jacking the trailer off the ground, that is, point down instead of up? Last time I manually yanked them back, but I really doubt that I'm the only one this happened too. What have you done? Or just let them go back in place while towing?
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
vantage32fls

Thanks everyone for the information, just finished up the wet bolt installation. Had no problems except Dexter gave me wrong seal number had to wait a week before I could get back to Dexter dealer to get right ones. I had to use floor jacks as I have a 4" drop axle. Brakes adjusted, repack bearings, tires rotated and now ready for the 5hr drive to Bend OR. this week.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote