Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
hankaye

VIN search

Howdy All;

I have a question for y'all.

The State of N.M. requires a VIN verification when transferring Title
from another State. The primary is a sticker on the side of the 5th wheel,
Where on the Frame is the VIN Stamped into the metal?

Thanks for the thoughts ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

I have a question for y'all.

The State of N.M. requires a VIN verification when transferring Title
from another State. The primary is a sticker on the side of the 5th wheel,
Where on the Frame is the VIN Stamped into the metal?

Thanks for the thoughts ...

hankaye
hankaye -
As you know we have the identical unit and if you have a look at your pin box there is a metal plate which is riveted to the box with the VIN stamped into the plate. The plate is located on the driver's side of the pin box.
While not actually stamped into the metal frame, the VIN is "attached" to it via the plate.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

When I was a Det. in auto theft, I went to several advanced VIN training. All modern vehicles are supposed to have numbers applied somewhere that the public will not know where. Some call them secret locations. The legal term is secondary locations. Either the state DMV or state police (highway patrol) will inspect and check those places when needed, outside of the public view. I found that MOST RVs have labels or stickers hidden with the VIN, not numbers imbedded in the frame or body as with autos. In Oregon when a vehicle comes from out of state. The DMV looks at the documents and public VIN locations, if any problems, doubts or possible theft. The vehicle is required to go to a state police office where a trained VIN inspector looks at all the VINs. In most cases than signs off DMV documents allowing it to be licensed. Here that state police inspection is done without charge and may take a few minutes to several hours.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
When I was a Det. in auto theft, I went to several advanced VIN training. All modern vehicles are supposed to have numbers applied somewhere that the public will not know where. Some call them secret locations. The legal term is secondary locations. Either the state DMV or state police (highway patrol) will inspect and check those places when needed, outside of the public view. I found that MOST RVs have labels or stickers hidden with the VIN, not numbers imbedded in the frame or body as with autos. .
Ken -
In addition to the metal plate on our pin box there is also a sticker attached to the driver's side of the RV with a variety of specs on it including the VIN. It is in plain view and able to be seen very easily by anybody. It certainly isn't in any "secret location" or hidden from the public.

Rather than being an exception, I think having the VIN on a sticker which can be seen by everyone is the norm. Our car also has a metal plate with a VIN mounted on the driver's side upper dashboard - right at the edge where the window meets the dash. Again - it's in plain sight for all to see. It's a 2006 - not that old.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
hankaye

Festus2 & Ken / Claudia, Howdy;

Festus2, I was under the impression that the "secondary" VIN was
supposed to be on a non removable part of the vehicle. I have seen
the number stamped into the 'A' frame of TTs. Which in turn started
wheels turning in my wee bitty gray cells so, thought I'd ask the 'collective'
to see what shakes out.

Ken / Claudia, I've been aware that there are several places on motor
vehicles where trained LEOs/MVD personnel can find the VIN or at least
the serial # part of it. The door post and dashboard corner are very well
known to just about everyone.

Thank you both for the responces, hopefully we'll get some more
suggestions.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Festus what your seeing is the public VIN. The secondary places are suppose to be hidden from the public. The tag on the frame is like a dash VIN in a car. The sticker is named Federal standards sticker and is also for public viewing. On a car it is near or on the drivers door.
Hankaye, You may see a stamped or welded number on a frame but, stickers or labels are the norm. If your just looking for public locations of the VIN, the frame tag and Fed sticker may be all there is. No one should tell you where the secondary numbers are. Without saying anything I cannot say, the axles have tags/stickers or stamped numbers that can be traced back to get the VIN. All other places are what the police VIN inspectors look at by going under/into/maybe remove items to see the secondary(hidden) places. And your right it is normally a major part of the vehicle but, really could be anywhere. By the way do you need a check done?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
hankaye

Ken / Claudia, Howdy;

Well, ... I will when I decide to reg. this RV in N.M.
As a fulltimer and long term resident at this Park it will take a wee bit to up
root this 'Home' for a road trip.
N.M. does require a VIN check and they don't have the Co. Sheriff nor are
the State Police empowered to do so or their time is to valuable. That
has led to a third party system and that can be costly. Nearest 3rd party is
in Las Cruces, (120 mile round trip), so no doubt there will be a surcharge
for travel in addition to a >$100.00 fee ...
When I did the Pick-up They just looked at the 2 'Public' VINs to ensure
they matched ... easy peazy. May be just a simple for the RV but dang,
that a lot of money for such a simple process.
Thanks for the thoughts.

hankaye

Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Sorry to here about the problem. Here I and other troops would and do go out to a home site and do VINs under conditions that you mentioned. I have a idea that may help. Do you have insurance on the RV. If so, contact your agent and ask them to contact their NICB agent ( they know what that is) and see if he has a police contact that will go out to your home and do it. The VIN police inspectors and NICB agents work together. Maybe one asking the other for a favor might help. (Something else I did many times)
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
hankaye

Ken / Claudia, Howdy;

Thanks for the suggestion, something that will get some serious thought
when the time comes.

hankaye