Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
Cougar 4 us

Campsite length vs trailer length

Hi everyone!

We just moved from a 23' TT to a 32' TT. We no longer fit into many of our old stomping grounds.

We are a bit perplexed, when looking for camp sites do we need the site length to fit the trailer? Or do we measure truck and trailer to figure out length of site needed?

Thank you for any wisdom you can share.
Cougar 4 us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar 4 us View Post
Hi everyone!

We just moved from a 23' TT to a 32' TT. We no longer fit into many of our old stomping grounds.

We are a bit perplexed, when looking for camp sites do we need the site length to fit the trailer? Or do we measure truck and trailer to figure out length of site needed?

Thank you for any wisdom you can share.
Usually when I call for a reservation I state the size of the actual rig and not with the truck. If they say we have site for you I then ask pull through or back in and actual length of site. I have measured the entire length of both just so I know if they both will fit on the site or do I park the truck somewhere else. Usually if we just stay overnight we do not unhitch so knowing you total length in this case is more important. With a longer length may also have to the question can I still maneuver into the camp site.

By the way to the Forum From Western PA.

Congrats on your upgrade! ENJOY

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
Way Of Life

From my experience working in KOA parks and also state run campgrounds site lengths are based upon the length of the camping unit. Most often there will be room to park once you are disconnected and set up. There have been rare cases that parks will comment that your entire rig needs to fit on the site but this is not the norm. If you are unsure I would recommend a call in reservation is best so you can discuss site details.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 AM   #4
Javi

Around here it is hit and miss, some parks will include the entire rig length in the calculation and others will not. But from experience a 40' site may be exactly that 40' total length. Although we recently stayed in a 50' pull-thru site that I could have parked two of our trailers in with room for my CCLB pickup.. At another park a 50' site was just that with a big curve that made it impossible to have the landing gear and the rear stabilizer jacks on the pad at the same time.. put the landing gear on the pad and blocked up the rear jacks and used a step stool under the steps cause they hung out over the pad too..

But as a note... with greater length often comes wider footprint.. Many sites that might accommodate our added length WILL NOT accommodate our opposing slides...
Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #5
GaryWT

I just go with the total trailer length and tell them that my trailer is 35 feet (including tongue) and have not had an issue. A friend of mine has a 30 foot trailer with a 26 box and always asks for a 26 foot trailer lot. Most of the time he is fine but once in awhile he is given a spot too small, not sure why he refused to call is trailer 30 feet.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
C130

I have normally put in 40 feet for my 35 1/2 foot 5th wheel so I have dome extra room for my truck and tear patio. Problem lately where we camp a lot is not many spots show up that will accommodate my size trailer. Evidently someone has changed the website and pad lengths on the Texas State Park we frequent a lot. So, I start at 40 feet and then go down to 35 if nothing's available. Problem is, I'm still getting little availability compared to less than a year ago. I'll check the site lengths and they'll show 45-55 feet in some of them but not let me select them if I enter either 35 feet or 40 feet. Heck, I put in 25 feet and several didn't show up until I just entered truck or tent and the slots were over 35-40 feet with full hookups and several I've stayed in with no issues.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Cougar 4 us

Thank you for the info!

I guess there is not a straight forward answer. I am just trying to make sure we have enough room, but also not taking larger sites so those of you with bigger rigs can have a space too!

Thanks again!
Cougar 4 us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

You're on the right track. I always call ahead and 90% of the time they will ask the length of the rig. I tell them (37') and they always have something. Now, I've had to pull into a swooping site barely big enough for the trailer - the full timer in front had to move his potted plants, chairs etc that had migrated into the slot then park off site. I've had others where the vehicle would not fit in the pull thru. More importantly as was mentioned in a previous post, you really need to ask about width if you have opposing slides. I ended up in one with my dining/living room slide, and all the windows, about 4" from the other guys big windows - not comfortable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar 4 us View Post
Thank you for the info!

I guess there is not a straight forward answer. I am just trying to make sure we have enough room, but also not taking larger sites so those of you with bigger rigs can have a space too!

Thanks again!
The Texas State Park we visit frequently and currently staying at this week went to a site specific reservation system about a year ago. Initially I liked it but every time we are here there are numerous premium spots on the lake that go unused. People book them about 11 months in advance then they do not show up or cancel. You have to cancel three days in advance or you you pay the full amount. My guess is people forget or decide they aren't going then figure if they have to pay anyways then why cancel. I don't know what the answer is but there are also numerous tent campers in the 40-65 foot, full hookup, lakefront sites also. Everyone pays the same amount so I guess the tent campers have the same right as anyone else but really makes getting a spot for an RV hard. Plus, the tent campers usually camp for one or two nights it seems. I'm all for a minimum 3-4 night stay on the large, full hookup sites. What I do know is the current system with the site specific reservations seems to have issues but it's nice knowing your spot in advance also and knowing you'll fit in he spot when you get there.

How do the other parks you guys visit handle the reservations?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Hansel

When I'm booking a camp site and they ask the size of my camper I always go longer, I'm actually 33ft but I will book for a camper that is 35ft or longer. It's nice having extra space for my truck, the van, etc.. I hate trying too back into a space that's just big enough.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
wahoonc

crap shoot... everybody uses different numbers. I have put a 31' Airstream in a site that was listed as 25' and I have had a 26' Popup that wouldn't fit in a 35' site. Best bet is to call if at all possible, I prefer the websites that show pictures. You can add a couple of feet to your over all trailer length for some cushion. Make sure you know the overall length of your total towing rig just in case.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
Pmedic4

Site Length

Have a relative that manages a State Park, and the story they were telling me is a lot of people were complaining the sites weren't long enough for their trailers when the site map says a site is 35', and they have a 32' trailer. They said most of the time, the people don't back in all the way to the stop block, and then wonder why their RV won't fit into the site with a vehicle attached.

Here the State Parks are fairly strict that you can't park on the grass - at least 2 wheels must be on the gravel/paved area, and of course not sticking out into the roadway. Now if we could just get them to pave the roads better!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote