Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
jumpy

Generator questions

I have a 2014 raptor 377se and was wondering if the generator has a switch that turns it off when you start moving the trailer down the road? I had my generator running and when i stopped it was shut off. never tried it again. Does anybody have any input on this or experienced this and knows how to fix it if it is a problem? THANKS
jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy View Post
I have a 2014 raptor 377se and was wondering if the generator has a switch that turns it off when you start moving the trailer down the road? I had my generator running and when i stopped it was shut off. never tried it again. Does anybody have any input on this or experienced this and knows how to fix it if it is a problem? THANKS
There shouldn't be a switch to turn it off while in motion. It is design to run regardless....

I would suspect a low oil shutoff. Check the oil... And remember that the toeing "attitude" of the trailer can affect oil level.

Any codes?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In additon to the low oil safety cutoff, there is a possibility that cooling air which comes in under the generator is disrupted during towing and the generator overheated.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
jumpy

Thanks I will try to run it again this weekend because since it died on me I did find the oil low and have not tried it again.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
That Girl Racing

If it shut off by itself there will be a code flashing on the generator controls. Your Onan manual will tell you how to retrieve and read the codes.
That Girl Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Butch Fuzion

Fuel?

You didn't mention the level of fuel in your tank. If low fuel may not be getting to gen. Also if low stopping hard or hard acceleration could momentarily cause fuel starvation. Just a thought
Butch Fuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
WR450Guy

I bought a 377 SE in March and have taken it back to the dealer 4 times due to the generator shutting down and flashing the low oil pressure code (2 flashes). Each time I took it in the service writer assured me the problem was fixed. Well, after the 4th trip with the generator shutting down I decided to take it directly to Cummins/Onan to see if they could fix it or replace it. Just got it back last week and I was told that the oil pressure was running at 23-25 psi. The mechanic took the engine completely apart and diagnosed the problem as "Pressure relief seat porous" Not sure what that means but apparently the oil pressure is now 50-52 psi. I would highly recommend taking it directly to Cummins/Onan to have them look at it. Fortunately for me it was just as close as the dealership. Good luck.

Jeff
WR450Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
jumpy

Thanks for the in put. I did fill my oil up and the generator stayed running this time hope that was it. I will keep the oil pressure thing in mind because that could cause engine damage if not fixed properly. My fuel tank was full at the time when it quite. I have a friend of mine that works at cummins in the bay area that does all sizes of gen. if i have further problems I can get him to help me.

Tags
generator