Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2023, 09:40 PM   #1
LuckyBoy

Cool First time EVER Saying hello

Hello everyone. I am Michael from Atlantic City NJ. I just purchased a 2006 Keystone z241. I have NEVER STEPPED INTO A TRAILER UNTIL NOW. My dog Lucky and I are ready to head west to visit Our Countries National Parks and meet people like Y'All (Hopefully) But I could really use so advice on operating my new trailer. I figured out a few things. I have it leveled. Connected the electric and managed to get the slider out. But HOW DO I OPERATED THE HEATER CHECK BATTERY ETC,? I am excited about beginning this new adventure. So hello to you. I am so thankful I stumbled across this site/Forum. Your experience I'm sure will be helpful to a rookie like me. Happy Thanksgiving and Safe Travels.
LuckyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:54 PM   #2
LuckyBoy

Cool First time EVER Saying hello

Wow, I can't believe I actually own a travel trailer. Hello everyone. I am Michael, from Atlantic City NJ, A proud and confused ne travel trailer owner . I just purchased a 2006 Keystone Z241 Trailer and I have no idea what I am doing. My dream of traveling the country is finally here. I fell in love with our National Parks long ago. As soo as I figure out how to operate this trailer Lucky (my dog) and I are heading west to meet awesome people like y'all and chill out where ever we end up. I have NEVER even stepped into a trailer until right now. HELP.....I know nothing, In the next couple of days I will be asking alot of questions. Please feel free to pass along your experience and stories of your travels. Any advice you have or information about the function of the Z241 trailer will be a HUGE help. I look forward to meeting y'all
LuckyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:52 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBoy View Post
Wow, I can't believe I actually own a travel trailer. Hello everyone. I am Michael, from Atlantic City NJ, A proud and confused ne travel trailer owner . I just purchased a 2006 Keystone Z241 Trailer and I have no idea what I am doing. My dream of traveling the country is finally here. I fell in love with our National Parks long ago. As soo as I figure out how to operate this trailer Lucky (my dog) and I are heading west to meet awesome people like y'all and chill out where ever we end up. I have NEVER even stepped into a trailer until right now. HELP.....I know nothing, In the next couple of days I will be asking alot of questions. Please feel free to pass along your experience and stories of your travels. Any advice you have or information about the function of the Z241 trailer will be a HUGE help. I look forward to meeting y'all
Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here that will be glad to help you with any questions you have. You should take a moment to fill out a user 'signature' by following the 'User CP' link along the top link bar. Include your full trailer year, make and model as well as the year, make and model of your TV (tow vehicle). Be sure to scroll down and hit 'save' when done.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your new camper. I hope you get things figured out to become initially functional. It's not rocket science, it's mostly just common sense stuff. Take your time, and figure things out, one-at-a-time. All of us were brand new to RVing, and it IS a life-long learning experience. It never stops.

Here is a link to a set of Youtube videos for your year and model of trailer. They are all pretty general, but you may be able to pick up some helpful things by watching them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+Keystone+Z241

In addition to learning the logistics of your new camper, you'll also need to learn how to deal with booking campground reservations, traveling on the road, and camping under various conditions (with electric hook-up, without electricity, with and without water, and with and without dump stations, electric power management, water conservation, how very limited your water really is in a camper, and the constant struggle to make sure you can dump your holding tanks in a proper location.)

The very, very best thing you can do is book a few campground reservations near where you live for week-end outings... arrive Friday night, leave Sunday whenever check-out is. Do this a few times to get familiar with your camper, towing, and campground etiquette (yes, there is an etiquette for camping, expected rules that are not written down anywhere but are very much a part of the culture and experience).

All of these things take some time to figure out. It's easiest to break into this life-style by taking those short week-end excursions close to home, at least a few times, before hitting the road for long distance and long time travel.

Also, plan ahead now for repairs. Things break in all campers. 99% of breaks and failures we owners, fix ourselves.

Give it some time, enjoy the excitement, take it one-step-at-a-time, and relax! Have fun! Happy camping!
Old 11-24-2023, 08:01 AM   #5
cougar23

Welcome from middle Tenn. You have come to the right place for help on all aspects of camping trailers.
I suggest you start by learning all you can about batteries. Your battery is the heart beat of your camper. Not all batteries are created equal and require different methods of maintenance.
Again, Welcome and enjoy.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:20 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Couple suggestions; the signature one is first as has already been noted. Make sure you include Zeppelin in your unit description as few will know what model line you own. Second, go to youtube and look at the videos regarding sealing your roof. With a 2006 model, the roof DOES likely need resealing. Last, ask your questions in the proper forum area one at a time as shotgun questions seldom answer all the things that you have in mind.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
Camping family

Welcome n enjoy. Just ask any questions you have and someone will answer them. Everyone was new at one time and most are still learning something I know I am.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
Gary R.

Hello Michael, and welcome!

Congrats on your new to you Z21! Once you have everything figured out, you'll be ready for some fun times!

And, as mentioned, there are many quite knowledgeable folks here who are happy to help with any issues that crop up. Helped me more than once!

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:37 AM   #9
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:14 AM   #10
Glamper63
Gone Traveling

I'm also new to Rving and found u-tube and goggle to help immensely. There's a lot to learn from towing and proper set up to operating everything. It's not that difficult until things don't work. That's when you ask questions here to problem solve. I've learned a lot from here by searching different topics but the hands on u-tube videos are a great source of information. Good luck getting to know your trailer.
Glamper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:44 AM   #11
CBears

Welcome from Kansas. I was in your shoes a couple of years ago but with a Jayco. They have a forum just like this that helped me out a TON. I joined this one after trading the Jayco for a Cougar Half-Ton.

YouTube is your friend. I watched HOURS of videos when I first got started. Make sure and watch multiple ones on each topic though because there is also a lot of bad advice out there. This forum is a great tool for you.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Gasser
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:29 PM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

Howdy Michael and welcome.
It will really help if you set up your user signature as suggested.
I had a Zepline at one time and really liked it. Though I did have to rebuild the floor as it was used and the roof had leaked. Listen to Wiredgeorge about your roof.
And as dutchmensport noted
"Also, plan ahead now for repairs. Things break in all campers. 99% of breaks and failures we owners, fix ourselves."
I would only add that I think that number is closer to 99.8%

But folks here have been there and done that so reach out if you need help.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #13
Folkie

Welcome from South Jersey! As has been stated there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site willing to help out. The search tool is also helpful.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:20 PM   #14
LHaven

If I were giving advice to someone who had never been RVing, about to buy his first, it would be to have a pro [LINK] inspect the rig stem to stern... ideally before buying it, but since that horse has already flown, right now is second-best. Nothing is more demoralizing than having a major livability problem (no heat, leak, fridge dies, no brakes) manifest itself when you are 2,000 miles away from home. Most auto mechanics, even the good ones, don't have the experience to inspect the "residential" features in an RV.

The website shows a pro in Shiloh, under an hour away from you. If you're confident in your ability to hook up safely and properly and drive 50 miles, you could combine an inspection with your first shakedown trip. Or possibly the inspector is willing to come out to you. If you can watch the inspection process, it will also be a great educational experience to learn about things you will need to check routinely and where they are located on your rig.

The thing is, the factory QC on RVs is nothing like it is on cars. Ironically, you may actually encounter fewer sample defects on an RV of 2006 vintage (assuming the previous owner knew how to maintain it properly and already took care of the obvious factory whoopses) than a showroom unit today.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:44 AM   #15
Mountain guy

Hello

Welcome, enjoy your trailer. Remember to check all the allowable weights etc. Before actually hitting the highway!
Mountain guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:05 AM   #16
firestation12

Imagine if he had purchased an airplane, managed to get it airborne and now needed landing instructions. I can recommend watching RV (Robin Williams) 2006, Lost in America 1985. Great not to do tips.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote