Squeeky stair - Keystone Alpine 3650RL
We purchased a 2021Keystone Alpine 3650RL in June 2023. It had been used for one summer season. The stairs to the bedroom were extremely squeeky. If you went up or down at night, anyone sleeping would be awakened. It looks like the prior owner tried to eliminate the squeeks using talcum powder.
So, I dismantled the two steps and rebuilt them. I know photos would have helped but I really didn't know how this would turn out. The stairs are totally silent now.
I discovered that while there are sufficient supports, screwed securely to vertical walls and aluminum tube, the treads are stapled to the supports.
So, I first removed the two wooden grates on the two risers. (Before reinstalling them when the steps were silenced, I stapled wire screen to the back to keep Asian beetles and geckos out.)
You will need a stubby Robertson #2 screwdriver. (The Robertson has a square tip?)
I removed the cosmetic trim on the two risers as well as the aluminum stair nose on the edge of the landing. I also removed the l-shaped trim on the left side of each of the two steps.
Then I worked through the openings on the risers, and removed all the screws holding the step supports. Doing this allowed me to pull the supports away from the underside of the step. Then I was able to pull up each step from the left side, with no damage to the wall.
Then, I glued each support to the floor and walls using PL-200 construction adhesive. (A few of the supports had a vinyl covering on one side so I turned those around so that wood was the surface that got glue applied.) I reinstalled all of the screws holding the supports. I also glued the front supports which are the ones that have the grate mounted on the front.
I made sure there was lots of glue on the top of each support and along the entire top of the front support and then I replaced the tread. Before the glue had a chance to set I put a screw through the top of each tread into each of the supports with three in the front support in each case.
The total job took me about 3 hours and required one tube of adhesive which I applied using a caulking gun.