Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Shoey

Connecting two Generators in Parallel

I got to believe this was asked before, but I can't find it so.... I just bought my second Yamaha 2000 generator and the parallel cable to connect both togeather. The parallel cable has a black and red wire with banana plug going to each generator, and of course, the ground wire. Does it matter if which plug is black or red, and does it matter if they are crossed between generators? Normally on a shore line, the neutral is tied to the ground back at the panel.

I'm assuming since there are no labels or warnings it does not matter, probably because the output of both generators is floating and the ground reference is not picked up until the RV is pluged in.

Before I try it, I'd though I'd ask to avoid damaging a generator or appliance in the RV.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Shoey, According to the statement below from Yamaha, the plugs are polarized.

Parallel Power Cables
These Parallel Power Cables are the fast, safe, and easy way to combine the power of two Yamaha EF2400iS or two Yamaha EF2000iS Inverter generators. Cable features include polarized IP30 banana plugs, quick connection to parallel jacks on both generators, color-coded wire leads, exclusive flexible tip construction that resists breakage, compatibility with a standard 30A RV cord, rugged over-braided cable design, and a handy Velcro® mounting system.

Have you tried to connect them???? Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Shoey

The generator has two female jacks, and the cables have two male connectors. That is the definition of "polarized". The manual of the generator refers you to the manual for the cables. The manual for the cables refers you to the manual for the generators.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

By polarized , I would think that + will only connect to + and - to - and are different in size or shape and color coded. Again I ask the question ... Have you tried to connect them????
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Shoey

I've tried connecting them. Both plugs fit into both holes. You can connect them any which way you want. I did notice, one plug (the red one) has a "R" and the other (the black one) has an "L". However the generator is not labeled in any way. If I must guess, I'll plug the R in the jack on the right (looking at the front of the gen), and the L into the jack on the left. If it matters, I would have expected a corresponding label on the generator, or a "keyed" connector making it impossible to hook up the wrong way. That would have been my definition of "polarized" as the marketing information advertises. Since these generators are common in the RV world, I would have though someone else was using them already. Note: The same cable can be used with the Honda 2000 as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't been able to find the operating instructions for the parallel cable, but the instructions for using the cable in the generator manual are very vague.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the owner's manual, it appears that the output to the 115 volt 15Amp plug is the same output that is tapped for the parallel cable supply. If that is the case (and it appears it is) then the generator is supplying a digitized 115 VAC to the left side of the 115 volt plug and a return (neutral) on the other side of the plug. That would mean the parallel cable is also tapped as a supply and return. Both generators should be wired the same which would indicate (electronically at least) that the parallel cable "should" be connected with the right connector on one generator connected to the right connector on the second and the left connected to the left...

In household wiring, if you cross wire a switch or an outlet, it will still work, but if you turn off the switch, the light fixture or the appliance connected to the outlet may well still be "hot", since the return (rather than the hot wire) is being interrupted by the switch.

So, my thoughts (for what they are worth) is that to maintain "polarity" ie: hot wire and neutral return wire in the same phase on both generators, the parallel cable "should" be connected with the same wire plugged into the same connector on both generators. It shouldnt make any difference in the output of the generator, you will still read 115 VAC with a voltmeter, but inside the RV (or where the output is being used) may well be "crosswired" if the parallel plug is reversed on one of the generators.

As I said, these are my thoughts and others may not agree, but if I were to connect two generators, I'd go the extra step to mark the parallel cable so it is connected in "parallel" ie: the same side to the same connector (which is the definition of parallel) .

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I've tried connecting them. Both plugs fit into both holes. You can connect them any which way you want. I did notice, one plug (the red one) has a "R" and the other (the black one) has an "L". However the generator is not labeled in any way. If I must guess, I'll plug the R in the jack on the right (looking at the front of the gen), and the L into the jack on the left. If it matters, I would have expected a corresponding label on the generator, or a "keyed" connector making it impossible to hook up the wrong way. That would have been my definition of "polarized" as the marketing information advertises. Since these generators are common in the RV world, I would have though someone else was using them already. Note: The same cable can be used with the Honda 2000 as well.
Shoey, The only image I can find showing the black and red wires connected is below. As you mentioned ... the red is on the right and the black is on the left. But I cannot find anything written on this subject. If it was my $2000 investment I would follow the "L" left and "R" right on both generators.
Like you I have never seen anyone ask this question before even though they are very commonly in use along with the Hondas. Maybe some of our Honda owners can comment.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

So looking at hank's picture and jrtjt's post that is the same thought i had. i would put some red paint on the right plug and the right cable so you do not get confused like i would kinda seems a little crazy that the plugs are interchangable but i think you will be just fine with what has been posted happy camping.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote