Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
rburckhart

Rubber sweeper on to of bedroom slide

I have resolved most of the minor glitches on my Cougar, but one I haven't conquered is the rubber sweeper/seal on the roof of my bedroom slide - it doesn't want to flip when going in and out - it wants to stay in the "in" position and I have to manually dig it out.

I had one of my bright (?) ideas the other day. The bedroom slide has the narrow grit strips on the sides to flip the sweeper/seals as the slide moves. So...since the foof didn't have one of these strips, I went to Lowes and bought some 3/4" wide stair treds and applied them to the slide roof. I have to tell you - it REALLY caused the rubber to flip! But...it also caused the bed platform to jump up about 3 or 4 inches up - not good! Before I put the strips on the roof, I noticed the slide platform would jump a couple of inches when the side rubbers flipped, which kind of concerned me.

For now, I've put some white duct tape over the roof grippers because I don't want to wreck something - I'd rather have them not flip as opposed to ruining something! I think part of the problem is that the roof rubber extends out onto the roof surface quite a way - I would guess the at least 75% of the rubber is out on the roof. It is hard to even flip it by hand. Any ideas or comments out there?
Thanks
Dick
rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
kevin

First I would check to see if the slide is adjusted too high in the opening. Sounds like the sweep doesn't have enough room to start to bend or curl.

I have also hear of using a good silicone caulk. Put a bead on the surface and it will start the sweep to curl under. WARNING This was done on the side of a slide not the rubber roof. Only use recommended stuff on the rubber.

But my guess is the adjustment.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
Jim W

Is the unit new/still under warranty? If it is I would ask your dealer to look at it and resolve your issue. I know I had a few minor issues and the dealer fix them within a week.

Another solution is to put on slide toppers on, I had the dealer install three on my unit. I had them on my 2006, 5er and loved them. Will keep debris and water out of the camper, when the slide is retracted.

Just my $0.02
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote