Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
CincyGus

New 238ML means New Mods

We brought home the 238ML Friday and I spent most of yesterday doing a few things to it for the family.

1) Hung a full length Mirror on the wall behind the toilet. The daughter had already commented the mirror on the medicine cabinet was "kinda small". Was one of those 5$ one normally used on a closet door or wall in a bathroom. 4- 3/4" wall anchors and it's secure.

2) Took some of the small felt circular pads with adhesive and went around everyplace that a cabinet door could bang into a wall and placed then on the walls to protect the cabinets.

3) Drilled a hole through the cabinet behind the TV and ran an indoor XM antenna over the dinette table. Then mounted a 3 outlet 12v power adapter at the front of the same cabinet and plugged into the 12v outlet in the top of that cabinet. Gives me 3 12v adapter spots, one of which I am using for my XM-snap. This setup got me close enough to use the XM snaps FM transmitter to tune to a radio station with the Jensen AM/FM/CD/DVD player and clearly listen to XM radio. Most importantly and the main reason for all this was to be able to use the outdoor speakers with the XM. I'm usually the first one up in the morning and the last one to bed so I can listen to XM while everyone else is in the camper without disturbing them.

4) Hung a key-holder with 4 hooks on it bought from the hardware store on the side of the cabinet as you come in the camper.

5) Bought a cream colored 63" tall curtain panel and 4 over-strength magnets. Two of these were 3" round ones in a chromed steel covering which I mounted at the top of the wall that separates the dinette and the bunk beds. The other, I mounted at the top left corner of the fridge. The other two magnets were smaller, rectangular about 2"L x 1"W x 1/2H. One of each of these was sewn into the top corners of the curtain. Now the daughter has a curtain that can quickly and easily run from the frig to the bunk wall, separating that little area as a dressing room or quickly put back and out of the way so everyone can have use of the bathroom. She loves it.

I'll try to get pics up at some point as I know in most forums the rules are, if there are no pictures of the mods, they didn't happen

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Handysam

Nice, yesterday was a good day weather wise here in Cincy for doing that. Thanks for sharing. I so can't wait to get the season underway.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
CincyGus

Finally got some pictures of the improvements I made. Proudest of the privacy curtain, mainly because my daughter loves it and how easy it is to use.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/...38%20Passport/

Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
f6bits

I like the storage pockets on the bathroom door. Our medicine cabinet isn’t big enough to carry all our toiletries. Is that a shoe holder?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
CincyGus

Yes it is. Bought it at the local walmart. It came with the hooks to hang over the door. I'm likely going to take it down and sew a little velcro on the sides and bottom and then use some of the command strip velcro patches to attach it to the door more securely along the sides and bottom. A little afraid it may swing and bang a little during travel so we'll likely remove it during travel and install once we are setup initially. Certainly add's a lot of pockets for shampoo, conditioners, bar soap and rolled hand towels and face cloth's. Bigger items there, smaller ones in the medicine cabinet is the plan.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
craiglud

Nice set of upgrades you have going there. I have the same 238ML and love it!
and have done the following:

Upgrades I have done:
1. dual 6 volt sealed AGM's relocated to the compartment under the dining bench seat
2. additional propane outlet at front of trailer
3. BBQ mount on the front of the trailer
4. stainless steel no-flair up grill, this thing smokes a lot so mounting on the front works great as the smoke goes up not in the windows and doors.
5. hard start capacitor on AC
6. 12 USB and 2 outlet 12 volt plug outlet in cubby next to radio
7. outside LED flood light
8. folding shower door, keeps that silly curtain off you!
9. rear tow hitch for hauling bike carrier
10 custom spare tire carrier welded to tow hitch bracket so tire rides in the center between the bike carrier and the back of trailer
11. oxygenics shower head

Upgrades Planned / hoped for!
1. setup for XM radio, i like your set up
2. water collector tank, cut down on the pump running
3. replace selected interior lights with led bulbs
4. power air vent upgrade
5. bedside usb chargers to charge those mobile phone devices
6. sewer hose holder
7. replace window blinds with the pull down shades

I guess I should post some photos
craiglud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
f6bits

craiglud, do you have more info on the folding shower door? I’m not a fan of the curtain. Does much water escape past the folding door?

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
craiglud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
craiglud, do you have more info on the folding shower door? I’m not a fan of the curtain. Does much water escape past the folding door?
It is this one just double check the size. It works awesome, best upgrade by far! Water stays in the tub. That curtain is pathetic!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
CincyGus

Thx Craig.

Just bought a VIP Barker 3500 power jack yesterday to install this weekend.
Also a hose to run from a spare propane tank for the Weber Q100 grill I got on sale last week for $108!

Would love to learn more about the hard start capacitor mod. I'm not familar with it other than I know it's supposed to aid in your AC runnig better. Is it hard to do or just a swap out of a part?

Our "TO DO" /planned list is very similar. I want to do all the same ones you do along with putting a max air vent on the bath and a max air fan and vent to replace the one in the main living area.

Please do post photot, hopefully I can copy a few things off ya.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
f6bits

craiglud, was there supposed to be a link in there somewhere?

CincyGus, here is the link for the capacitor. It was very easy, though not all AC units are the same. Read through all the comments on the mod page for additional information.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
craiglud

i will bring it home this weekend for a cleanup and take some photos. I almost got the power jack for the tongue let me know how that goes i'm also interested in that but have some other upgrades before i get there
Old 03-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
CincyGus

Thanks for the link to the Capasitor mod! Much appreciated.