Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
geobet

What preps are you taking for Irma

By now everyone knows that the probability of Irma slamming Florida is potentially very real. This thread is primarily directed to us Florida residents prepping for the storm.

I've been through Charlie, Jean and Francis and a few earlier big blows. Most all have just CROSSED the state. I can't recall one that ever tracked from the keys and south Florida to the north. In my mind, a storm of this mammoth potential paralleling the state is as problematic as the eye running over land.

I'm sure we all know that the east side of the storm has the most wind. So, an eye skirting off shore in the gulf will likely cause more damage along the gulf coast and inland areas (like where I live). Conversely, if the eye rides the Atlantic coast, the effects of wind to the east coast would not be as great. Won't even mention the scenario of the eye riding the entire length of Florida. All the outcomes are less than desirable.

Even though a narrowly defined track hasn't been established, and given that Gov. Scott declared a state of emergency yesterday, what preparations are you taking to mitigate damage to your rig? Are you planning to evacuate? What would be the circumstance for you to pull the trigger and evacuate? And, would you load up the RV and "get out of dodge" or simply leave it and head out without it? Would really be interesting to hear what all us Florida folks are
thinking. All the best to each of you and . . . stay safe!!!

George

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Skippy38

I am in E Central FL, Melbourne area, and it got pretty bad last year during Matthew, about 90 mph gusts. My 5er stayed parked in the driveway and didn't move an inch. However this looks somewhat worse. While we are staying, I think I will move the 5er in between mine and my neighbors house in order to block some of the wind on the long bearing sides of it, and leave it hooked to the truck. If we get enough wind to blow that rig over, the concern over my trailer will be secondary. That's what insurance is for....
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
gearhead

I'm not in Florida, but near Houston and similar circumstances.
To the OP...I'm not clear if you full time in the RV.
Just me...I would be prepping to leave. Especially if you are retired, and nothing to really keep you home. I would be boarding up, emptying the refig & freezer, etc. Then leave in the middle of the night well ahead of other evauations.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Just spoke to a good friend that lives where we stay in the FL panhandle between Levy and Dickerson bays S of Tallahassee. They are leaving to go to central GA to ride it out. They said the other full time residents were all weighing what to do but seemed to be leaning toward leaving as well. I suggested that they hit the road now (retired) and miss the chaos that's sure to come at the last minute. Hopefully it will swing more to the E but it never hurts to be prepared.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I am in E Central FL, Melbourne area, and it got pretty bad last year during Matthew, about 90 mph gusts. My 5er stayed parked in the driveway and didn't move an inch. However this looks somewhat worse. While we are staying, I think I will move the 5er in between mine and my neighbors house in order to block some of the wind on the long bearing sides of it, and leave it hooked to the truck. If we get enough wind to blow that rig over, the concern over my trailer will be secondary. That's what insurance is for....

I saw pictures of 5ers connected to trucks overturned by the winds/storms of Harvey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote