Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #21
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
By the way, I just ordered a pair of Andersen Levelers from Jet.com.
V
With their new user discount I paid $35.68 each delivered...cheapest I've found them.

https://jet.com/product/Andersen-Mfg...351a8d99ef112a
Dittos on the Andersen levelers. They work great.

I've bought a few things through Jet.com and have been completely satisfied. Good price, free shipping on many items and quick delivery. They also followup in the mail with 10-15% off coupons.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #22
UsTwo

bill-e,, I only use two of them.. when I got them they said to run them the same way the frame runs, but I use one in front and one in back under the metal bumper.. most of the time I really only need the one under the rear bumper. My Sig. other walks on her heels and not the balls of her feet..She can really get that camper moving..lmao.. I just use a couple 3/4 in plywood, cut about 4 x 4. and set them on the ground under the feet, haven't had them sink in the ground yet...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #23
gregrc75

I use have the Steady Fast on my scissor jacks and use the Anderson Levelers. The combination works so well I rarely use my x-chocks anymore.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #24
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The best way to remove most of the the bounce is to get the frame up off the suspension. The electric stabilizer jacks aren't strong enough or designed to "lift" the trailer, so here's a step by step that may work for you.

1) set your side to side level using whatever you use under the tires. Set your X chocks.

2) unhitch and lower the nose about 1" below level. Set the rear jacks firmly on the ground.

3) using tongue jack, lift the nose about 1" high. set the front jacks firmly on the ground and then lower tongue jack to set on the jacks and tongue jack.

Depending on how much spring travel you have, you may be able to get away with 1 1/2 -2 inches of lift.
Just for other folks reading this post, I tried this and it bent my rear levelers so try it at your own risk.

My X-Lite trailer must have Extra Light levelers

Bill

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #25
silverbullet18

I also use the universal stabilizers if you want to got the cheaper route. I use three. One under the tongue, one under the rear bumper and one under the center as close to the axle as I can. I also use two sav a step stabilizers under the steps and its pretty solid

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #26
collins590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any luck stabilizing this type of jack

I just installed the BAL lock arm bars on these stabilizers. Took away litterally 90% of the movement in our 31ft sprinter. I could fell the trailer rocking when someone was brushing their teeth before so it was pretty bad. The only movement at all now is when someone heavy is coming up the step but I plan on supporting that this weekend. And I honestly can't believe that someone said to lift the trailer with the tongue jack after you put your rear jacks down, these are stabilizers and not levellers, and are designed to trip out before you put too much weight on them.
collins590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
Mike484

We love our BAL Lock Arms. Only took me about 30 minutes to install a set and it made a huge difference. They are always there, just run the stabilizers down and lock them in place, then unlock them and run the stabilizers up. Very simple, very easy to use, and at $73, they can't be beat.

The SteadyFast and JT Strong Arm are the same but sold as a complete system for about $250, but even at that, I see people buying chocks, then blocks, then other stabilizer systems, and in the end, spend much more money than what they would have spent just adding a set of stabilizer bars and also have a lot more work to install and put away each time they go camping. When I'm at a park, I look around to see how many are using stabilizer bars and surprisingly see very few. Stabilizing bars are cheap, easy, and they work, I wouldnt' use anything else.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #28
larryi

I was looking at the BAL stabilizers for my Passport too but i've had concerns on where to mount the attaching brackets since the belly sheathing they put on the trailers now prevents you from see where you are installing on the frame. Did you have problems? Any concerns on getting too close to lines, etc? Can you send a picture of how you mounted on your trailer? Thanks
larryi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #29
bill-e

I installed the Steadyfast and with my first use which was on asphalt they worked great. It is not rock solid, there's just too much flex in the levelers themselves but it is much, much better than without. The real test will be with my wife along over the 4th on grass.

Installation took a little longer because I had to change my installation because of that damn gas line running down the right side of the trailer.

I did have to notch the underbelly at a couple of installation points so that the clamp sat flush on the I-Beam and had to use the included clamp for one of the point installations which was by the gas pipe...there was just no way to avoid it.

I also used for the first time the ReVo leveler and a pair of Andersen Levelers, both of which worked great.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #30
Mike484

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryi View Post
I was looking at the BAL stabilizers for my Passport too but i've had concerns on where to mount the attaching brackets since the belly sheathing they put on the trailers now prevents you from see where you are installing on the frame. Did you have problems? Any concerns on getting too close to lines, etc? Can you send a picture of how you mounted on your trailer? Thanks
I removed a couple screws and felt the backside of the channel, there was nothing there, then I realized, they installed the cover with screws, so how would adding a couple more screws do any damage?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	10671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	10672  

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 06-13-2016, 03:45 AM   #31
bill-e

Here's some quick shots I took with my phone. I just got home from a shooting weekend, my knees are killing me so setup was quick.

The SteadyFast stabilizing system attaches to two of the stabilizers, one front and one rear. The front stabilizer has two bars attached to form front to back, side to side, and up and down stability. On the rear you only attach one bar which gives you side to side and up/down.

There are three clamping points in the system. Two for the front and one for the back. No tools are needed once the system is installed.

Here's a shot of the front stabilizer and SteadyFast foot and bars...the clamps are not shown.

Here you can see the first clamp which I placed under the stairs. It is easy to reach. This side of the camper has the gas line running down the frame I-Beam which partially covers the mounting surface. I had to use one of the included clamps which allowed only two screws in the I-Beam and a clamp for the rest. Worked well.

This next shot is again the front stabilizer but taken from the left side of the camper, basically right under the storage compartment which also has the stabilizer up/down switches.

Lastly, here's a shot of the rear stabilizer and the SteadyFast pad and bar.

The kit comes with everything you need including the drill bit. I had to drill a total of 14 holes including the holes in my pads to mount the SteadyFast feet. He also supplies some stickers reminding you to loosen the clamps before raising or lowering the levelers. I put one on my tongue jack and the open hatch where my remote leveler switches are.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 06-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #32
Desert185

The SteadyFast system works really well for me, and I also use the Andersen levelers along with a Fastway Onestep chock on the opposite side.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #33
Mike484

Great job, nice installation.

Really nice to see someone using the stabilizer bars, I see people spend a lot of money and a lot of work on trying to stabilize their trailer when all it would take is a set of stabilizer bars and a little time to eliminate probably at least 80% of their trouble.

I too was in the same boat. When we first used our trailer, we immediatly knew that we had to do something. I looked at many styles of chocks and many types of stabilizers. Most of these help, but not near as much as a set of stabilizing bars. We went with one set (2) of the BAL Lock Arms at $73. Took about 30 minutes to install, most of the time was spent running to Home Depot to get a couple longer bolts for the foot plate. They are always there, just lock them after running down the stabilizers and unlock them before running the stabilizers back up. No haveing to install, remove, and take up storage space each time you move the trailer. Probably the best investment we have made on our trailer. We use the One Step chocks but have a set of the cheap plastic ones in case we set up where we cant use the One Step for some reason (also use the cheap plastic ones while in storage in case they decide to walk away). I have since then purchased another set of the BAL Lock Arms but have not installed them yet, no hurry because the first set made such a huge difference. The only complaint I have is getting to the locking bolt but have welded on a short bar to the head of the bolt so I can lock/unlock by hand rather than having to use a wrench.

SteadyFast about $250
JT Strong Arm about $250
BAL Lock Arm about $75 a pair (you would need 3 pairs to be comparable to the other brands, plus you dont get the foot plate, so they are all relatively the same cost)

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #34
collins590

I installed mine right over the underbelly. It just squat tight to the frame when I was tightening it up, no need to cut it.
collins590 is offline   Reply With Quote