Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
CRUZIN 2

Alpine bedroom door

We have an Alpine 3640RL and was getting tired of the bedroom door hitting us in the behind side, so we know the reason that Keystone don't put the door this way. It could get crushed by the slide if left open, it will be on our check list to make sure the door is closed.

But the DW and I can't believe the difference it made, it seems like allot more room, kind of a job but so worth it!!

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
geo

3640RL Bedroom Door

You forgot to mention that the shower door and the bedroom door collide if both open at the same time! I pulled the bedroom door and plastic frame off ours and replaced it with a self-built frame and an nice accordian door from CW. My only problem was staining the new frame a little dark! But we are very happy with the modification!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
CRUZIN 2

Bedroom door

Just getting rid of the door, will eliminate extra weight, and give you more room, I would like to see some pic's.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
mikell

We have been cursing the door but haven't made a plan on what to do yet. the reversing it looks good but then it would be in the way in the bedroom. Were full timers and have learned to live with it but i have thought about removing it completely
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
geo

Thumbs up Alpine 3640RL Bedroom Door Mod

Because of the position of the bedroom door, I truly believe that Keystone designed that area of the Alpine 3640RL on April 1st! How else could you explain a door strategically positioned to goose your backside anytime you stand near the shower or lavatory? And just hit the timing correctly, and that door colliding with the shower door early in the morning is a definite wake-up call! I have to admit, I never thought about turning the door around, but then again you are correct, it would only be a matter of time before it would catch the slide somehow, or bang constantly against the slide as one traveled down the road. I also realize from different threads in this forum that there are several members who do not like accordion doors. However, a quality accordion door does work quite well and leaves one's derriere untouched.

We chose to replace the bathroom door with a custom accordion door ordered from Camping World. WARNING, the accordion door was not cheap! But it was ordered to custom fit the opening.

Getting the Keystone "surprise" door off along with the plastic door jamb was no problem – a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of lineman's pliers made quick work of that! But that left an unfinished opening – bare 2x4 white pine, paneling edges, brad holes . . . ugly! A quick visit to Home Depot yielded a sheet of quarter inch hardwood birch plywood which HD nicely cut three strips 2 3/8" wide at no extra charge! I measured the strips on the door frame, marked the lengths, then cut and beveled the edges. On the longer side strips, the bottom was left straight, but the top was beveled at 45 degrees. The top strip was beveled at 45 degrees on both sides. That way the three strips fit exactly together and gave a nice square jamb lining.

While at HD, I purchased some Minwax stain/poly finish – in way too dark of a stain color! I'm using color-blindness as a defense for this poor choice! I also purchased the cheap foam-core trim in Dark Oak which is too light for the too-dark birch plywood "jamb liner" and too light for the press-cardboard trim used by Keystone. Obviously I'm not going to "win" this remodel contest. However, the choice of accordion door color is a winner!

Once all was stained (and criticisms received), I easily attached the plywood to the inner door jamb with wire brads, cut the foam-core oak trim to fit, and installed it with wire brads. Following the instructions for the accordion door installation was a snap, and the door itself was installed in less than 10 minutes! The plus is that once the accordion door was installed, the dark stain on the plywood became less noticeable! (Yes!!!!! ) As the accordion door was custom ordered from CW, it fits exactly and is not too big when folded back. When the DW tested the door, she gave it high approval! Winner!!!!

So, now the only question to answer is, "Who was the rocket scientist at Keystone that thought that door design up?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B_door_closed.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	320   Click image for larger version

Name:	B_door_open.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	321  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
KanTC

Great topic everyone, and kudos on the mod Ron - even if (you say) you're color-blind . We don't have an Alpine, but appreciate the info & photos.

And BTW, that *rocket scientist* makes occasional visits to ALL of the Keystone design dept's! <LOL>

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote