Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
theallde

DISH ANYWHERE comments

Situation:
Wife would like to watch and record TV shows while we are RVing.

Problem:
The portable DISH satellite receiver only records one channel at a time - you cannot watch one channel while recording another channel.

Solution:
Using your iPad, access the free DISH ANYWHERE (after sign-in you can access your “HOME DVR”).

Now you can “transfer” (download) any show that you have on your DVR to your iPad. NOTE: You can also manipulate the DVR just like you do at home (add, delete, etc.).

You now can view your recorded (transferred) shows on your iPad.

But Wait – Don’t want to watch shows on the iPad, just connect a HDMI cable to the TV and then to your iPad using an Apple adapter (purchase at Best Buy, etc.).

But Wait there is more – Don’t want the HDMI cable on the floor between your recliner and the TV, just connect an IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT Wireless 3D Digital Kit with full 1080P and 5.1 Channel Digital Audio ($200) and now you can control your iPad from the comfort of your recliner PLUS you can view your email, photos or anything else on your iPad and it displays on the TV.

Results:
One very happy wife.

NOTES
Transfer (download) during non-busy “Wi-Fi” times – transferring does not work via cellular. Transfer times depend on the length of the show and your connection speed but for me a 30 minute show took 3-4 minutes to transfer.

It took me approximately 5-10 minutes to connect the IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT Wireless 3D Digital Kit.

Contact me via PM for a copy of the DISH ANYWHERE instructions I wrote for my wife (a non-computer individual).
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:04 AM   #2
glenalt

subscribed
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

We have a newish Hopper and love it. We can only transfer to an iPad when at home, in the same network as the Hopper. Maybe they've changed it? I used Dish Anywhere to watch football last weekend while working on my condo. No cable or internet yet, but used XFinity's WiFi to connect with.

All in all, it's a great system.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
theallde

According to the DISH Anywhere web site, you have to have a Hopper with SLING to access outside your "own" Wi-Fi network.

We are off on a road trip in several weeks and I'll post the results of Wi-Fi access.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallde View Post
According to the DISH Anywhere web site, you have to have a Hopper with SLING to access outside your "own" Wi-Fi network.

We are off on a road trip in several weeks and I'll post the results of Wi-Fi access.
Yes...You do have to have the Sling. I use my cellphone as a hot spot and will connect with my wi-fi tablet. I used it to watch the Monday and Thursday night football games at work. I have an extra TV in the garage and just connect my phone with HDMI and catch the college/pro football games on Saturdays/Sundays while working in the garage. No cables or extra boxes to pay for to connect to that TV.

We tried to use it while travelling this summer, but you will need a strong wi-fi signal if you do not have a large data plan. Most wi-fi at RV parks are pretty poor and you can hardly even cruze the internet let alone stream video. Using the Sling we downloaded a bunch of TV shows onto the tablet for the kids to watch while driving. There also were times on the 10 hour drives I would turn my phone into a hot spot so they could watch live TV on a few occasions. With a strong internet signal the Dish Anywhere works fine. If not it can pretty buggy or not work at all.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote