Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
GrumpyG

Solo Camping

How difficult is camping solo with a TT? I am giving up my Class C that I camp solo in, pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Never had any issues with that setup, but I was blessed with BigFoot levelers. I understand how to level a TT, but seems like it is better done with 2 people.

I'm thinking that leveling a TT by yourself would just be a pain, going from TV to the TT and back, placing blocks or whatever, but not impossible.

Any solo campers out their have any advice?
GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Solo Camping

Side to side is the only difficult part. You can raise/lower the tongue for front to back.

There are products on the market that you can mount on the front with BIG levels so you can see using mirror or looking out the back window. I only get out once to set my Lynx levelers, since the DW is holding 3 cats in carriers. She isn't part of the leveling process so I might as well say I am doing it solo.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
bg71361

I do it solo all the time no big deal, nice to have help but if you don't it's only a few extra steps... Don't sweat it!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
BirchyBoy

This is my second season with our camper. My wife hasn't helped level once. Not because she hasn't offered; it's just pretty easy. I pull onto the lot and check side to side. Add the appropriate leveling blocks to the wheels and pull on. Then do front to back with the jack as chuckster said. Then put the stabilizers down.

Done and dusted.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
theeyres

While I don't camp solo my wife has never helped in the leveling part of set-up. I think you will do just fine. It is very easy to do by yourself.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
GrumpyG

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!!
GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
Lholestine

I have a family of 5, but my set up process is solo. For me, It works better that way. Even if i had help i would have to go back and check everything done anyway. After 16 years of marriage my wife knows that when it comes to packing a car, setting up/tearing down a tent (pre rv days) and setting up the camper it's better to just let me do my thing.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Lholestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
Javi

Solo leveling.... ???

Under the tire is not where my DW would put the board if I asked her to help with leveling...
Old 06-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Like everyone else leveling was a solo thing for me for years. Now my wife helps but I still go back and look at the level to determine how much of what to put under the tires for side to side level. She places them so I can drive up on them while I go back to the truck. I then check when on the blocks. Finally gave in....she just kept saying she wanted to help
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote