Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
Nick & Gia's Trailer

Hot water Heater

Fellow RV'ers, I can use some help or suggestions with my water heater. I currently have a Suburban 6 gallon duel heat, steel tank. My problem is that even after flushing several times before a trip, I can see that the water still has a brown tint in it.

I flush the tank with a water heater flush rod or whatever it's called and after several flushing water is clear. Don't understand what I'm not doing correctly.

Any suggestions would be grateful. I would hate to buy a new not steel heater.
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you have flushed out and drained your tank several times and the water still looks brownish, it could be that the steel lining of the tank is rusting out. Do you get any sediment in the water or does it just appear brownish? The next time you flush and drain it, collect some water in a clear glass, let it sit and watch for any sediment.

Your unit is only a couple of years old and your tank shouldn't be rusting out at this early date but .........

There is also a YouTube video on flushing out a Suburban water heater which you might want to check out.

Check back with us and keep us informed.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
GaryWT

How is the rest of the water. If you are running just cold is the water clear. If you put the hot water in by pass is the water still clear? Just curious if it is just the tank or if it is something else.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Nick & Gia's Trailer

water Heater

to answer some questions cold water is clear, when water by-passed water is clear. When water is flushed it's clear, but after heated water is brown, have noticed any sediment in the water. This may just be spring start-up gremlins. I will check out the video....
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
jkohler70

Does this occur regardless of the water source? If the water coming in is campground well water, it may have suspended sediment. You may not notice this in running water, but water sits in your heater, allowing the sediment to settle. If there is sediment in the water, after a few days, you likely have an accumulation at the bottom of the tank.
As someone else suggested, fill a large glass with cold water and allow it to sit for a day. If there is sediment at the bottom, it's in your incoming water.