Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Dave W

Waste(d) movement = macerators

We are using our 5er at a seasonal site as 'home base' for our trips as we have for the past couple of years. Over their closed period, the CG owners installed a sewer system to our site instead of having a honey wagon make a weekly stop. Unfortunately, where the dump point is located is not very convenient for us to use a normal 3" blue or green 'slinky'. We are 20 or more feet away and it's kinda uphill made worse by the fact that we park backwards on the site for a better view from our living room. I purchased a Valterra Sewer Solutions kit and have extended the supplied 10' hose via the suggested pvc piping. Yes, it works well and as advertised. Unfortunately, it is extremely slow and worse, since it works on a water jet principle to break up the black stuff, wastes one heluva lot of water. Even though we are on the shore of a very large lake, the CG still has to purchase local town water, something we seasonals have been advised is not cheap.

OK - with that bit of back ground, I've been considering an electric macerator system. All of them appear to use a similar pump - Flojet or ShurFlo regardless of brand. Reviews all seem to say that motor prolems with the FloJet are common along with breaking of the attaching ears on all of them.

I know AMAZON reviews are usually biased so am enlisting you fine folks aid. I do prefer 120 VAC over the usual 12VDC but can be swayed. Is there a reliable RV macerator available, reasonably priced? Has anyone built their own? And no, a home disposall is not in my 5ers future as a black water tank cleaner outer.

Thanks
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Dave, We use our toilet while traveling and never felt comfortable taking the time to thoroughly clean out my waste tank at truck-stop dump stations. I purchased the FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit (12v dc) and a 75ft. 1" hose that I run to a clean-out fitting at my house. It works well and now I can take my time to make sure the tank is clean and empty. We have been doing this for a few years and there has been no problems at all. We even used it once when we had company and needed the extra sleeping space of the Cougar. You do need to run fresh water as well but no where near what you need with the water jet ones. (I use one of them when camping with hook-ups.) Most of the complaints I have heard about them seem to be long hair gets stuck in the blades and binds the motor. That has not been a problem for us. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #3
Dave W

Hank, I am leaning towards the FloJet. It is mostly the possibility of the attaching ears breaking off that bothers me as the replacement housing is $60+. Motors failing ie, and it's a guess only, the fault mostly of the owners with cavitation and a poor voltage source -amps as well as volts and poor wiring practices.

Just to take my wondering further - FloJet (and maybe others) make a pump that hooks up with a short 'slinky' then pumps through a 3/4-1 inch hose as a DIY arrangement ........

What I'm hoping for is, of course, reliability at a reasonable price - and something that seems to be in short supply in so very many aftermarket items for RVers (and that's a subject for another thread someday)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
miker/t

The replacement adapter for when you break the ears is available at www.kleen-ritecorp.com for $44.70. I broke mine on the first try last week! Filed out the openings a little for an easier fit with the replacement.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Dave, I have not had any problems with the ears breaking ... perhaps because I lubricate the seals and ears with silicone grease even on my "slinky" hose. The Flo-Jet connects with only two garden hoses (fresh water in and waste out) .... no slinky
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:28 AM   #6
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker/t View Post
The replacement adapter for when you break the ears is available at www.kleen-ritecorp.com for $44.70. I broke mine on the first try last week! Filed out the openings a little for an easier fit with the replacement.
Gotta ask - and this is a question/response I found relative to breaking those ears on a new unit from my 'research'. Did you try to use that second and spare O-ring (seal)? I don't know where I saw that, but the answer, if I recall, was from the manufacturer or a distributor.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Dave, I have not had any problems with the ears breaking ... perhaps because I lubricate the seals and ears with silicone grease even on my "slinky" hose. The Flo-Jet connects with only two garden hoses (fresh water in and waste out) .... no slinky
Hank - I've been using grease on the clear extension and the slinky for years. I just use whatever I have - usually chassis or wheel bearing.

Looks like I'll be ordering the Flo-Jet within the next week or so as it appears to be the best of a mediocre few geared at RVs while there seem to be many for boaters.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
mikell

I had a Flo Jet for several years with no issues. Just don't leave it hooked up. I was told they lock up after a while if you leave them in place. I never left it hooked up anyway because where we were for a few months you left NOTHING outside without being locked up and that wasn't a guarantee that it would be there the next day or week.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
TexasKevin

Sewer Solutions

Purchase a Sewer Solutions and you can install up to 60' of discharge hose. I have had mine several years and love it.....
TexasKevin is offline   Reply With Quote