Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #21
chris199

We tolerated out RV mattresses. Bought a queen sleep number thinking our Cougar bed was queen....because our Passport bed was shorter we assumed the Passport bed was a short queen. Turns out our Cougar was a short queen...I still dont know what size bed was in our Passport.

Im 6'4" and needed more length. Made mistake opening the queen sleep number...couldnt return it.

Have a short queen sleep number now. Love it.

FYI...both are for sale. PM me if interested.

Queen sleep number....never used.

Short queen used for a total of 15 nights.

Upgrading camper and getting a king bed.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #22
ColoradoSooner

So today I decided to head to the dealer and lie down on the bed. You know how sometimes when you're looking for a mattress, you try it out in the store and think, "This should be fine"? Only to get it home and realize it was a big mistake?

That is not going to happen with me because as soon as I laid down on it, I knew there was no way in hades that I was going to sleep a single night on that...what did JRTJH call it?..."spring steel lump." Wow, I was honestly surprised at how bad it was.

I even had a friend with me who tried it out and echoed my sentiments exactly. Really, really terrible.

So the search for a new, hopefully non-bank-breaking mattress is on!

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate it.
ColoradoSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #23
jkohler70

I think it depends on how much time you spend in it, your physical condition, and personal preference.
Ours was just bearable until we added a nice topper to it. Now we sleep just fine. We only use ours for weekend and occasional week-long trips. If I spent more time in it, I might upgrade.
The true test is DW. Her back sometimes gives her fits, but she's never complained, and sometimes sleeps through breakfast.
Toilets have to pass my 20 YO son's "clog test", and mattresses have to meet the approval of the DW.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #24
HappyCamperMN

Ours is "tolerable" for a couple nights or maybe three. As we are planning a week-long trip this year, it's going to cross over into the intolerable category. We're going to start with a foam mattress topper and see how that goes. Longer term I see a new mattress in our future.

Caveat... part of what makes our mattress only tolerable is that it's a short-queen and not a full 80" queen. At least for me, I would be more comfortable on our "tolerable" mattress if it were a little longer (I'm 6 ft tall and with the sloped "headboard" being comfortable all night can be challenging.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #25
Andymon

We thought we wouldn't like ours but actually it is pretty comfortable. We have a heated mattress pad and that makes it even better!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #26
mcsearch1

One weekend on the original was enough for us. We got a great deal on a memory foam mattress from Overstock.com. They carry various styles and price ranges and shipping is usually free. They carry the short queen if you need that size.
2 dogs
No sleep
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #27
neveser

We haven't had a chance to try ours out yet. It doesn't seem like it's going to be great though. Wife put a foam mattress cover on it. We'll see soon enough if it will pass the test.

2014 19FBPR Bullet Premier
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 4x4
neveser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #28
rbev2308

I will be honest, I hate mine...They can call it a Cloud Nine or whatever it is but I have had multiple surgeries and 30 yrs in the Navy pounding up and down ladders (steps) and the surfaces we slept on have done me in. I had good success with Sleep Number for a while but now in Latex mattresses and found a great company out in Arizona that really worked with me tweaking my bed at home. Now I am working with them to somewhat resemble that in the 70x80. What I really need to do is pop the drawer out of the nightstand and see how the top of it is mounted whether glue and dowel or screwed from underneath. I may remove it, shave 3 inches off the left side and remount and then no custom size is needed..Key is no one really sleeps on these type of mattresses at home. They may work for a weekend and maybe a week but not all the time...
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
Agram1

Does anyone LOVE the factory bed?

We bought a gel topped memory foam mattress from Sam's Club, had to do some trimming to make it fit. We could only handle one night on the mattress in our 2015 Keystone Hideout... To firm for our liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #30
koko

We love our original mattress.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:30 AM   #31
Hans Jr

Not sure if it was already asked or answered somewhere before. But figured since this is thread about mattresses I might as well ask.

We are getting rid of our condo in June and are putting stuff at the i laws and in storage. We have a queen at home. It's a pretty thick and heavy mattress. My question is, does anyone know the weight limit on mattresses for the bedroom slides? I don't want to over weight it and do damage with that matters but If I can use it I much rather take that then putting it in storage.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
Hans Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #32
randy69

I think ours better than the rock hard matters in the house.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Don't love it - what about memory foam?

This is a little late into this thread but I'll pose the question here instead of starting a new one.

I thought I liked our mattress (do we love the mattress in our RV) in the TT pretty well but I'm now going on our 3rd month of using it and my back is killing me every day. Thinking I need to do something. We are in a remote area in FL but still within 20-30 miles of Tallahassee.

I'm thinking of going to the closest Walmart and getting a 3-4" memory foam topper BUT I'm not sure about that. In my past years I've slept on "foam" mattresses and they make me sweat. I do not sleep when my backside (or some other side) is leaking water (sweat) I've noticed some posts from members that use memory foam toppers and full mattresses. Does the memory foam eliminate that problem or is there something that has to be done to fix it? Just looking for some input for my poor aching back
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #34
Jim Dow

Mattress Fix

It may not be the mattress you dislike so much.
In our case, we added a memory foam topper; and best of all we added a plywood support completely across the bed frame. The original mattress support was totally inadequate.
Oh what a difference the plywood made. The whole mod costs less than $25.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #35
T3/T4 Hybrid

The stock mattress for the TT was not to either mine or the DW's liking so we replaced it out with a 8" memory foam. After the last trip with the TT, I am doing my best to talk the DW into one for the house. We have the topper but the full mattress is a lot better!
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #36
gtsum2

Our king bed in our new fuzion chrome is horrible. Hard as a rock. Put a four inch memory foam top on it and made it better, but still very subpar compared to our bed at home...but that is to be expected
Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #37
dwayneb236

Ours was pretty uncomfortable. We dealt it the first trip and then I ordered a 4 inch topper from Overstock. Made a world of difference. Very comfy now.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #38
Rex1vt

[QUOTE=sourdough;168593]T leaking water (sweat) I've noticed some posts from members that use memory foam toppers and full mattresses.

2014 327
RES Cougar- We bought a full size pillow top at Rooms To Go and set it on a full size piece of 3" foam, so comfortable it is scary.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #39
BirchyBoy

I tried to look at mattresses today at Camping World. Would it be too much to ask for them to have full-size beds that someone can lay on? The little 12" x 12" sample isn't good enough, particularly when it isn't returnable as soon as the box is opened.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #40
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Have to agree, the usual mattresses that come with most RV's are pretty bad. Several TT's ago, the mattress that came with the trailer was just a covered 4" foam pad. We went and bought a new one from a place, "VERLO", that will make the mattress as Firm or Soft as you prefer, and in any size, and it was great. A few years later, we we upgraded our TT to a newer model, we took the mattress from our old TT to the new one - I'm sure the dealer liked that, since they could say the used TT had a 'new' mattress, still in the plastic bag.

In our current FW, we were also planning on doing the same, and getting a new mattress, but noticed the mattress was a good quality mattress, and in talking with the salesman, he said their dealership always upgrades the mattresses on all the better RV's. He said the cost that way was fairly low, and generally appreciated by most customers.
I've spent to much time calling mattress stores. The last one paid off yesterday. The guy said there was a company in Longmont, CO that can custom make them. Turns out is Verlo. Went and laid on 3 of them about 30 times tonight and ordered a V3 Plush. It's being built and will be ready for Memorial Day weekend

Was more than I wanted to spend but it's going to be worth it.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote