Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
cjelliott81

Venting, or How I may sell my house so I can keep my camper

My latest aggravation is the busy body neighbor who calls code enforcement whenever I bring my camper home to load/unload and maintain it.

HOA by-laws say I can have at my residence for up to 48 hours. The grumpy old man two doors down, dissatisfied with that, called the sheriff's office, who told me while I was technically blocking the sidewalk, it a) isn't stored there permanently, b) is obviously backed into the driveway as far as it will go, and c) pedestrians can get around on the driveway apron, they had no issue.

The next day, code enforcement stops by while I am on a ladder with the buffer in my hands. Apparently he does not share the Sheriff's office sentiments, as upon my informing him of their position, and that I would be returning it to storage the following day he answered with threats of fines if he saw it in my driveway again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10517563_10152188312622124_486363288339641738_n.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	7723
cjelliott81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Just my opinion

What the HOA code enforcer considers a violation may differ from the LEO, due to the fact that the scope of the officers duties are much broader than that of the code enforcer.

It certainly is your right to sell your house. Are you in violation of the HOA rules? I don't have a copy of them so I can't comment, but your right to impede pedestrian traffic ends with the right of any person to walk on the sidewalk without obstructions.... look close at the picture you posted. Maybe your neighbor is a "Busy body", but as long as he also pays his HOA dues, he has the right to ask that the rules be enforced.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
Steve S

I'm not too sure what these dues and rules are that you're talking about but by looking at the pic it's common sense that a person in a wheelchair or with a walker would have trouble getting by there.
I spent 9 long months in a wheelchair and that would p*** me off if I lived by it as well.
Maybe the old guy is the only one on the block that will get on the phone and complain on behalf of all the elderly in the hood.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
bsmith0404

I'm going to make some assumptions, but may be way off. Maybe the best approach is to talk to the old guy and explain to him that this is an important part of your families life and you are making great memories when you go out camping. You understand that it overhangs the sidewalk a bit, but will only have the camper there for the minimum amount of time needed to prepare it for trips and maintain it after. Hopefully the catch more flies with honey approach may work with him. If it doesn't, maybe you can ask him for suggestions on how he would take care of it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

You need to post or at least know yourself what the HOA rules say, every word.
For any one to say you will be fined knows. A, the HOA rules real well. B, is full of BS. If B is the answer ask for fines, cites, or what ever he seems he can do, than go to the HOA meeting and advise them of the law suit you are going to have your lawyer file. Yes, hire one get it done right. Stand up for your rights if they are wrong.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
ImTravis

When I had to deal with HOAs, the enforcement of the sidewalk depends on the location.. If it's HOA property completely, then they can allow it, but if not then local enforcement can decide. I'd look at the HOA bylaws, and even reach out to the HOA president and validate whether you are or aren't breaking the local area law (again, I believe some are defined by HOA, others by local law).. Also as mentioned by a previous post, talk to the neighbor. You might reach an understanding as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 AM   #7
cjelliott81

It's a bit of a catch 22, The HOA rules allow it for it to be in the driveway for 48 hours, but is silent on blocking the sidewalk, presumably because the sidewalk is considered county easement.

I do not argue that the camper does not partially block the sidewalk, I also do not argue that county ordinance says you can't block the sidewalk. I'm mainly just venting my aggravation that I don't have a whole lot of options as far as bringing my camper home for maintenance and loading/unloading. Unfortunately the decision to buy in an HOA neighborhood, predated the decision to buy a camper.

You guys are cheaper than a therapist.
cjelliott81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 AM   #8
slow

A shorter TT would put in compliance would it not?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #9
GaryWT

Is it possible to park in the front lawn to get it out of the sidewalk? Also a couple of cones might be good and finally a sign stating yes I understand and my 48 hours are up at xxxxx. Good luck
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjelliott81 View Post
It's a bit of a catch 22.... Unfortunately the decision to buy in an HOA neighborhood, predated the decision to buy a trailer
Sounds to me more like poor decision making. We bought our house years before my commuter got totaled. Knowing a replacement needed to fit inside on the shorter side of the garage, we measured that length and then went looking.

Did you not know the HOA rules when you bought your RV?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #11
Desert185

In all fairness, we don't know exactly what the HOA rules state. Having done CC&R's for a development and having lived in a condo complex with restrictive rules, there is a difference between having protective rules and restrictive rules. Gray areas are pushed by some, but this guy should be able to at least load and unload his trailer in his driveway.

Are there really any wheelchair types actually being inconvenienced, or are we playing what if? I learned a long time ago that grumpy neighbors with HOA rules, restrictive CC&R's and easements for agenda ammo are not for me. As that infamous philosopher, Rodney King, once said: "Can't we all get along?"
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #12
BirchyBoy

Living in an HOA myself, it is both good and bad. My HOA has rules about no work trucks (large logos, commercial racks, buckets, etc.), no trailers over 24 hours, no storage sheds, etc. We purchased our house BECAUSE we didn't want any of this stuff. We bought a travel trailer with the knowledge that we had to store it elsewhere for another $50/month. I have left it at my house for a few days before without any complaints, but I'm prepared for when they do come.

My HOA board and management company has been very, very lax on the commercial truck parking. Whenever it is brought up in a meeting, the boards comments are that peoples lifestyles are changing and more "working class" people are buying in our community. The same could be said for RV ownership (increased sales over the past year or so) and storage sheds (more motorcycles, riding mowers, etc.)

That's all well and good, but the board shouldn't be picking and choosing which covenants to enforce. It's all or nothing unless they can get the votes to lift the ban.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

It appears to me that you will have to deal with both the city/county and the HOA. I'm sure there is an easement for the street. Where it ends is how far the city/county jurisdiction goes. After that; the driveway, is where the HOA rules would be enforced. The HOA does not trump the city/county ordinances.

Your street easement may go back 10-20' into your yard. Where I live it is 10ft. (we already have a very wide street). When we built our house that easement was measured and the driveway/apron was poured with a seam on the easement line. That was so the city could widen the street in the future without tearing out the driveway..as it was explained to me. It appears you have a seam under the front of your trailer. Would that possibly be the end of the street easement?

Also, if the HOA allows you to have it there for 48hrs what is the enforcement person doing threatening you with fines on the first day? I think you need to dig into some of those issues to know exactly where you, and they, stand. I do know some HOAs can be a real pain in the you know what. My little brother had his yard landscaped and flowers placed. He didn't know there was a restriction on the types of plants and locations they could be....he had to dig them all up. An HOA can be good for a homeowner and they can certainly be bad.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #14
{tpc}

I typed up a long post this morning, and it ended up logging my out of the forum before it posted so I lost it.

The gist of it was, I would back it into the driveway on an angle so as not to encroach on the sidewalk. If that won't work then I would make sure every piece of it was on my property, even if that meant driving over my lawn and placing blocks under the jack stand on the lawn.

I doubt there is anything in the bylaws that say you can't do this, and it probably has the added bonus effect of looking less aesthetically pleasing than it would encroaching on the sidewalk, and anger the neighbors more, with nothing they can do about it.

While the explanation of wheelchair access, those who walk on the sidewalk or even children riding bikes is a valid concern given it is in the sidewalk, I sincerely doubt that is why the sheriff and code enforcer was called. Someone, or multiple people don't like the way it looks when you have it there. Or maybe they can't afford their own and are jealous and don't want to be reminded of it, I don't know. Thats the feeling I get.

So make it fit within the rules of the hoa, don't block any public access, and to me that should be good enough. I would bet someone still complains however.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Instead of backing in the TT leaving the hitch blocking a good portion of the sidewalk, could you pull the TT forward enough so that your truck ends up in the garage? This might be enough to get the TT forward enough so that almost all of the sidewalk is open.

Unless the garage has another door enabling you to get out, your truck would have to remain hitched to the TT and therefore not usable. If you can manage without a truck for a short time allowing you to load up or unload, it might be a solution to your problem.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #16
larry337

This entire thread illustrates perfectly what you are dealing with. Some people can't stand it if you break a rule. If you can break a rule then why can't they? Which rules are followed and which ones are not? This isn't about your trailer hanging over the sidewalk. It's about rules. That's why I would never live with a HOA. My suggestion is to move. I have 4 acres, I don't worry about other people's business and they don't worry about mine. I have enough rules in my life that I don't need my neighbors added to the list of people telling me what to do.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
This entire thread illustrates perfectly what you are dealing with. Some people can't stand it if you break a rule. If you can break a rule then why can't they? Which rules are followed and which ones are not? This isn't about your trailer hanging over the sidewalk. It's about rules. That's why I would never live with a HOA. My suggestion is to move. I have 4 acres, I don't worry about other people's business and they don't worry about mine. I have enough rules in my life that I don't need my neighbors added to the list of people telling me what to do.
Precisely the reason we gave up the "benefits and accessibility" of the "big city" and moved to the woods in northern Michigan. Even now, we've got "too many rules" with the building restrictions, taxes, zoning restrictions and the host of other "government infringements" but at least we don't have neighbors calling the "HOA Police" if we happen to do something they "think" might be inappropriate..... For me, it was better to give up the "fast cable internet" and the "Pizza delivery service" and be able to sit in my back yard and "swat skeeters by the fire" to my hearts content.... And if I might happen to want an adult beverage, and even if I walk around to the front of my house with it in an open container, I'm not "imposing on someone's idea of "civility" LOL Give me my privacy on my own little bit of heaven and I'll leave yours alone. My only concern with where I park the Cougar is whether or not I have to drive over the septic system field lines, otherwise, it's my choice to park it anywhere on the property.

We might be further from the "civilized conveniences" than some who live in an HOA, but then again, I haven't heard a siren, day or night, in the past 4 years. Something to be said about having to go to the pizza place to pick up your own.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #18
GmaPaTime

Amen John......
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
Amen John......
You stole my response! [emoji1]

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #20
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
The gist of it was, I would back it into the driveway on an angle so as not to encroach on the sidewalk. If that won't work then I would make sure every piece of it was on my property, even if that meant driving over my lawn and placing blocks under the jack stand on the lawn.

So make it fit within the rules of the hoa, don't block any public access, and to me that should be good enough. I would bet someone still complains however.
This is my thought as well. Park it so it is fully on your land and not blocking the sidewalk. Overhanging the sidewalk is asking for a child or someone not paying attention to hit the hitch and fall. No good will come of that happening.

But, JRTJH also has it right. Moving and living where your nearest neighbor is 20-200 acres away is great, more would be better. And, for the carry-out pizza, I have discovered the heated seats in vehicles can keep a pizza warm for at least a 1/2 hour...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote