Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Comptech

Leveling 5th Wheel for Towing With Air Bags?

Hi,
I think I know the answer to this but I would like the here from the pros...
I have recently installed an Air Lift 5000 air bag system. Before my TV and 5er ran mostly level because I adjusted the hitch to its highest level to take up the sag. I had only moved the hitch one bolt, from the third set of holes to the fourth...
Now I am thinking that I need to lower the hitch in the truck back to where it was and level the 5er using the air bag system.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
Javi

On a level surface...

I'd let the pressure in the air bags down to the prescribed minimum then measure the height of the rear wheel well before the 5'er is on the hitch.

Then hitch up and with the full weight of the 5'er pin on the truck I'd measure the wheel well again... inflate the air bags until the pre-hitched height is achieved.

If the 5'er isn't level, level it using either the hitch or pin box adjusting holes... Remember you want at least 5" of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Comptech

Right, But I do not get how to level properly, and still be able to adjust the air bags for the proper ride. I do not know what air pressure I will need to put in the bags while towing to get a good ride... I guess as long as I get it close to level, maybe with just a slight sag and then use the air bags to level it up... I am thinking I will want about 50lbs of air in the bags... maybe a bit more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
On a level surface...

I'd let the pressure in the air bags down to the prescribed minimum then measure the height of the rear wheel well before the 5'er is on the hitch.

Then hitch up and with the full weight of the 5'er pin on the truck I'd measure the wheel well again... inflate the air bags until the pre-hitched height is achieved.

If the 5'er isn't level, level it using either the hitch or pin box adjusting holes... Remember you want at least 5" of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails..

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
Right, But I do not get how to level properly, and still be able to adjust the air bags for the proper ride. I do not know what air pressure I will need to put in the bags while towing to get a good ride... I guess as long as I get it close to level, maybe with just a slight sag and then use the air bags to level it up... I am thinking I will want about 50lbs of air in the bags... maybe a bit more...
Air bags are for adjusting the level of the truck, not how the truck rides. Although usually there is an improvement in ride quality associated with them.

It is however, permissible to vary the pressure a couple of pounds either way if you think it helps the ride. But again the primary function of the apparatus is to level the truck.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Comptech

Okay gotcha ...thanks...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350