Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
rwmurphy15

Pa camp grounds

Anybody know of some good camp grounds in Pa. that have large sites not jammed together sites. With a lot of things to do. Thanks
rwmurphy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
BobnLee

We have stayed at the KOA in Grove City PA which of course is at the Outlet mall. At the front of the park they have large transient sites drive throughs which mine had to be 100 ft long with hook ups and cable, wifi etc. They have the in ground pool but we use it for a stop over and for the shopping.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
PA5er

My family and camping friends really enjoy Waterside CG in Lewistown PA. Check it out. [URL="http://www.watersidecampground.com/"]. Juniata River to kayak, loaded with small mouth bass. Best sites are the "Lettered" sites A, B, C etc...
Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
rwmurphy15

Pa5er

I check out there website looks nice I'll try it out this spring or summer, thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

We haven't been there in a few years but we always enjoyed staying at Spring Gulch in New Holland, Pa. They do a good job keeping the kids entertained with play grounds, games and fishing and swimming lakes. If you want to swim in the spring time, Pa. is not the place to go. But the scenery and culture of the area is amazing. If you think you have a strong TV ... ask for a site on top of the hill. The sites down below are just as nice and closer to activities but the road to the top is legendary. Plenty to do in the area and lots of good food.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
cabinfever

Here in Erie Sparrow Pond is a nice place to stay. I wouldn't recommend a spot on the hill south of the pond, those spots are new, no trees, and very close together . The spots around the pond and to the north of the pond are better. Lots to do in Erie. I would recommend a trip to Presque Isle State Park. There is also great fishing in the area.... Deer Meadow and Kalyumet at Cook Forrest. Deer Meadow is a few miles closer to the park. We stay there on our summer trip. It is easy to load canoes and tubes and drive to the river. We stay at Kalyumet in the fall. A smaller CG but very wooded and the owners are very friendly. Both have nice facilities and plenty to do around the area. The state CG looks ok. Never stayed there. If you are a wine lover, Red Bandana is about 15 minutes from Cook Forest. Very good wine and atmosphere. We have also stayed at the Mercer KOA. Very close to the outlet mall and lots of great places to eat. Also very close to Mercer Raceway Park. A place close to Mercer is Pymatuning State Park. We have stayed at the Jamestown CG there. Very nice state CG. One more winery recommendation at Jamestown, Lago Winery. Can you tell what we look for near CG,s wine for the DW and Ice cream for me! LOL

http://www.presqueisle.org/

http://sparrowpond.com/

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...rk/cookforest/

http://www.deermeadow.com/

http://www.kalyumet.com/

http://redbandanawinery.com/

http://mercerracewaypark.com/

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...rk/pymatuning/

http://www.lagowinery.com/

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
chris199

PA is a large area. Any specific region (s)?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
rwmurphy15

Thanks, Everyone for the suggestions. No specific areas. We are from lancaster co. Pa. And this is out first summer for camping just looking for places in pa to start out before trying longer distances to travel.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
chris199

In Lancaster area Lake in Wood is nice but heard there is quarry blasting at times. We never encountered it but CG is very nice. Resort level.

White Oak in Quarryville is a throw back CG. Reasonable rates, gospel musicians and singing Sat night. No pool. One of our favorite CG's!

Pequea CG on west side of Lancaster is very nice. Large sites. Very friendly couple runs it. Can tube down stream.

Warwick Woods CG over toward Pottstown on Rt 23 is excellent. Very wooded. If you go there...must stop at St Peter's Village Bakery. Excellent sanwiches. Great desserts. Can sit out on tjeir tall deck, eat, and enjoy the view over extremely large boulders and stream. Dog friendly there. Large pool.

If you are in Lancaster I really recommend VA ....both Skyline Drive area ...close or Blue Ridge..little farther. Montibello ( yes...not Monticello) is nice. Call for directikns. DO NOT use gps to get there. Treacherous turns on route from Rt 81.

Also...head up to Wellsboro...Grand Canyon of PA.

Also recommend Ithaca, NY....head N on Rt81. Closer than you think. Beautiful hiking and waterfalls.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
chris199

Gettysburg is also nice for camping....Granite Hill is our favorite. Recommend you stay awsy from Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. Camping close to one another on large stones with no grass with painted lines on stones is not fun.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
crash

Heck we where just up your way last weekend and stayed at the amish view inn and suits,took a amish buggy tour ,shopped at the bird in the hand farmers market(holy moly got filled up on all of the free samples and shopped in the town of intercoarse,went to ronks and had some cold ones at vics pub .We will be coming back with the camper in a few months and camp at Elizabethtown/hershey Koa and do some more running around.You have some pretty country up there
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
rwmurphy15

Thanks, Chris199

I actually live between Quarryville and the Buck. I will check out a few of your suggestions. We pick up our toy Hauler on Sat. Lake in the woods was on our list as our first place to go.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
chris199

Cool...saw your profile. Looks like you are lterally around the corner from White Oak CG! LOVE the Stasburg area...esp the ice cream place on the corner!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Gettysburg is also nice for camping....Granite Hill is our favorite. Recommend you stay awsy from Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. Camping close to one another on large stones with no grass with painted lines on stones is not fun.
Was considering camping at Gettysburg Battlefield Resort this year, however after reading your description of the CG may have to reconsider. Painted lines on stones have to admit does not give me a good impression.

Thanks
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #15
chris199

If you can get a site along the water...it's better. It didnt strike me as a "resort" level CG at all. Much preferred Granite Hill.