Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
gearhead

Timing-Yellowstone/Rocky Mtn Parks

Planning a trip. I want to attend USAC races at Belleville Kansas July 30-Aug1. If I'm driving that far, I may as well go somewhere else too.
"in for a dime, in for a dollar"
From Belleville, Yellowstone is a 2 day drive, Rocky Mtn is 1 day. It's been 30 years since we've been to either. May do both, or just one.
That said, I need advice regarding timing. Would the last 2 weeks of July be better than the 1st weeks of August? Concern is mostly crowds. Is there much difference? Much weather difference?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
Western Traveler

As far as Yellowstone goes not much difference the bracket of time you are using is the height of the season. Weather wise it can snow any month of the year but even if it did the weather would change soon enough. That is a great time of year and I would expect warm days. If I was making the trip I would make reservations for a site outside the Park and know I had a place to stay (I favor the town of West Yellowstone but I know that is at the opposite end from your approach) but people are coming and going at the campgrounds every day. There is a phone number the Park Service has that is updated throughout the day for campground availability. Usually full by 2 PM.
It is an enjoyable trip in the right frame of mind knowing you will be going everywhere inside the Park SLOW. If one remembers the first time they saw a herd of buffalo and their reaction to it, it makes it easier when you are blocked on the road the thirtieth time by someone seeing them for the first time. Then of course road repairs and construction takes place in the summer when things aren't frozen.
The speed limit is around 40 but you might not see that much.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Jca3

The weather is great but it is peak season. Make reservations now or you won't get a spot in the parks. We like staying in the Tetons - Signal mountain if you aren't too long. In Yellowstone Mammoth Hot springs campground is pretty nice. We have also stayed at Fishing Bridge and Madison campgrounds but they cram you in like sardines. Not very enjoyable. We like a little space between our slide and the side of the next trailer.