Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
flying duchman

how big do you go for 2 people

We have heard only a few comments regarding size of campers most of them saying they would like smaller since larger 5th wheel rigs have difficulty getting into service stations and some national Park sites. We don't know that yet.
Looking at the smallest Xlite cougar we can find 27 feet?? Don' t know if that is too big to haul around the country. They look great inside and spacious with bump outs. Were looking to buy a ford 150 with a 5 foot box for 5th wheel.. Share any thoughts...thanks

(Note: This post has been moved from the "New Member Check In" to this section. Moderator)
flying duchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Flyguy

27 feet certainly isn't too big, in fact 35 feet isn't either, the problem as I see it is finding a 1/2 ton towable 5ver that an F-150 with a 5' bed can pull, my TV has a 5' 8" bed and is considered the smallest that a Pullrite Superglide 12K auto slider hitch can be mounted in and work correctly so I don't know about a 5' bed. You may be restricted to a TTer instead of a 5ver.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

In one of your other posts, you indicated that you were looking at a Ford as a tow vehicle with a 5 1/2 ft box and in this post you mention "a Ford 150 with a 5 ft box for a 5th wheel". I am not sure what available size of box are available with a Ford 150, but in both cases - 5 ft or 5 1/2 ft - I think you will find it difficult, to say the least, to tow a 5th wheel. You should be looking at either the standard short box or regular long box for NA tow trucks to pull a 5th wheel.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying duchman View Post
We have heard only a few comments regarding size of campers most of them saying they would like smaller since larger 5th wheel rigs have difficulty getting into service stations and some national Park sites. We don't know that yet.
Looking at the smallest Xlite cougar we can find 27 feet?? Don' t know if that is too big to haul around the country. They look great inside and spacious with bump outs. Were looking to buy a ford 150 with a 5 foot box for 5th wheel.. Share any thoughts...thanks

(Note: This post has been moved from the "New Member Check In" to this section. Moderator)
Hi, You have not bought the tow vehicle yet? If you have not bought one yet, I would really consider a 3/4 ton truck as the minimum size tow vehicle. This will give you more options for pulling a 5er. You will be able to pull in the mountains easier with a larger truck that is a Heavy Duty truck and is set up to pull a camper. Another item to consider is the engine, I know some will tell you that a gaser will pull just like a diesel but.. I would look into buying a diesel engine truck with either a Automatic or standard transmission with 3:73 or 4:10 gears. This arrangement will give you more options and you will be happier when pulling across country with your 5er.

I have pulled a 5er with both a 6.0L gas and a 6.7L diesel engines in a 3/4 truck. I will never pull a 5er with a gas engine again. As an example I was pulling this summer in the Appalachian mountains with my 5er and was not run over by the semi-trucks on the road. If I had my gas engine truck I would have been in the slow lane with the flasher on and worrying about being run over by the semi's on the road.
Just my $0.02
Jim
P.S. My wife and I our the only ones in the 318SAB most of the time. We are planning on doing the western US next year. Just the two of us.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Seann
Permanent User Ban

You will find that box is too short... at some point you will make a sharp turn and take out the back window of the truck or worse do body damage.. Get more truck than you think you will need.. it will save you money in the long run.

I wanted a shorter trailer than I have but to get the layout I wanted had to go with a 33'. too long too much to heat...
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
toml-nm

toml-nm

We recently purchased a Cougar High Country 299RKS, I have 6'6" bed on a 2500 HD Chevy, had to have a slider hitch installed to maneuver this trailer.
Previously we had a 28' TT and this fiver is about the same length. We have had no difficulties at Nat. Parks with the TT though the fiver has a little more height will have to be aware of that. I also agree the the 3/4 ton towing unit will be much to your advantage.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
jimzdat

It really needs to be what your personal desires and likes are - and if you plan on ever having anyone join you (even for a visit).

We started out with an 18' toyhauler (Tahoe 18TB) - a couple trips and we determined it was way too small (I couldn't even stand upright in it).

We upgraded to a 28' toyhauler (Puma 28TBU) (TT, not 5th wheel), which was better; but we took a trip to the drag races in Norwalk this year, and a friend went with us (along with the 2 dogs) - we always felt like we were walking on top of each other.

We decided that we really wanted a rig with slideouts to give us the extra room, and that's what prompted us to get our latest rig - a Fuzion 360. Probably overkill for just the 2 of us, but comfort is much higher.

But I tow with a '03 Chevy 1 ton diesel dually - might be more than the average person wants to drive around
jimzdat is offline   Reply With Quote