Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
poochy

towing with generator running

hey guys i'm confused keystone says dont do it cuz generator is a combussable machine ,but all the forums generally say everybody does it with no problems . is there anyone out there that has personally done this with no problems , some say u cant because of air flow at high speeds but motor homes do all the time, some say just make sure u keep fuel tank above half for sloshing reasons 2 weeks headed to wy from ne, ks its hot please help thanks butch
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Did it all the time when I had a toy hauler.

Nice arriving at a campsite with a cool camper when is Nicaragua hot outside.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
BMcCutcheon

Wink

I still do it all the time with no problem. I just made sure that the exhaust from the Generator extends out from the side of my unit by 4 inches to prevent Carbon Monixide from getting into my unit. I have probably put 500 hours of time rolling down the road at different times with no issues.

As far as the wind issue, I believe that is bogus. My Onan RV QG 5500 LP has a huge intake fan which pulls Air to cool the unit underneath. My unit has never overheated.

Bill
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

Just remember that lawyers wright the owners manual now. Keystone says no you should not do it. that way if you do and something happens well then it's your problem. they said no! But i agree that as long as the fuel doesn't spill your good. the fan will pull in all the air it needs to stay cool. the exhaust idea is good one. and with the unit going down thehighway there is no way the underside will get too hot. if your gen is propane fueled your even better no fuel to slosh. good luck.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Benrubid

This may be a dumb question but I would assume that you still hook up to the TV so that the break lights and trailer brake work. Do you turn the battery connect to the off position, or is that okay as well. I just don't want to short anything out

2012 Fuzion 322
2012 F350 Dually
Benrubid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrubid View Post
This may be a dumb question but I would assume that you still hook up to the TV so that the break lights and trailer brake work. Do you turn the battery connect to the off position, or is that okay as well. I just don't want to short anything out
Just hook up the truck like usual. No changes.

Also, most likely don't want to use your battery disconnect. Your breakaway switch will not work.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrubid View Post
If you tow with the battery OFF, your breakaway is disabled. That is a BAD thing.

The brake lights and turn signals, clearance lights, and normal trailer brake operation have nothing to do with the generator or anything that is powered by the generator.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
sonuvabum

Battery hookup...

It still concerns me that with the generator running and the 7 pin plugged into the truck while it's running, that you are trying to charge batteries from two separate points. This cannot be good.
Agreed, you definitely want the batteries connected for the break away switch, but I'm concerned that the system will not isolate the two charging systems properly.
Gary
sonuvabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
Bushman512000

Gen.Running going down the road ?

I have been doing it for Years winter and summer .Nice to have the elect. heat on and have a break in a warm trailer.Mine is a Honda 3000 mounted on the back see the pic.also fill the fuel up every night about 2-1/2 gallons running all day in econo.mode...Bushman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1818  
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
christopherglenn

towing with a generator running is no different then hooking up and pluggin the pigtail in with the shore power still attached as far as charging is concerned.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote