Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Nitrogen in tires?

Anybody running nitrogen in their trailer tires? It would seem to me the benefits of nitrogen (cooler running and less psi loss) would be perfect for the trailer world.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
pbryan

I prefer a custom blend with about 78% nitrogen...
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I have nitrogen in all my tires, only because Costco puts it in when installing. I have not lost any psi in three years (7500mi.) on the trailer. It's hard to tell on the truck because I increase with air for towing and decrease when solo. I was skeptical at first, but in theory and in zero air loss, I'm a believer. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryan View Post
I prefer a custom blend with about 78% nitrogen...
Ahhh yes! With hint of O˛, CO˛ and a dash of NOx and SOx for fragrance.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

EVERY TOP RACE TEAM USES IT! oops sorry for the caps. i even used it when racing go-karts.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
poochy

tires

I took mine off and had tire company put nit and balance wheels apparently keystone cant balance wheels? and so far I love it no blow outs , very very little air pressure diffence hot or cold on our towmax bombs ha ha happy camping butch
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
smiller

If you do the math you will find that there is a negligible difference in any kind of routine application between air (78% nitrogen) and pure nitrogen in terms of pressure loss, pressure change, etc. Nitrogen is used to fill tires in certain unique applications such as high-performance aircraft (to displace the oxygen and reduce the chance of a tire fire) or racing applications (to displace humidity, which is the real cause of tire pressure change vs. temp) but in passenger car tires or an RV it is pretty much snake oil in gaseous form.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
(to displace humidity, which is the real cause of tire pressure change vs. temp) .
Doesn't sound like snake oil to me ..... and you said it. The only place I know to get dry air is from a scuba shop ... so I'll stick with nitrogen.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
smiller

It's not that there is no difference between air and nitrogen in terms of pressure change or loss, just that the difference is too small to be of any practical advantage to a typical RV. If your hot/cold pressure changes 4 psi with air and 3 psi with nitrogen, why do you care? If your pressure loss is 1 psi per month with 78% nitrogen and 0.75 psi per month with 100% nitrogen, why do you care? Again, it's not that the advantage is zero, but I can't see what minute benefit there might be being worth even a small amount of hassle/expense to use nitrogen over air.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
It's not that there is no difference between air and nitrogen in terms of pressure change or loss, just that the difference is too small to be of any practical advantage to a typical RV. If your hot/cold pressure changes 4 psi with air and 3 psi with nitrogen, why do you care? If your pressure loss is 1 psi per month with 78% nitrogen and 0.75 psi per month with 100% nitrogen, why do you care? Again, it's not that the advantage is zero, but I can't see what minute benefit there might be being worth even a small amount of hassle/expense to use nitrogen over air.
I agree 100%, but if the place with the best prices for tires wants to give me nitrogen. I can't be bothered to go back every time I want to change pressure in the truck so I use air ...... until they rotate and rebalance and refill with nitrogen for free. ... Gimmick, maybe, but the price is right.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I agree 100%, but if the place with the best prices for tires wants to give me nitrogen. I can't be bothered to go back every time I want to change pressure in the truck so I use air ...... until they rotate and rebalance and refill with nitrogen for free. ... Gimmick, maybe, but the price is right.
Fair enough, I was mostly referring to the general question of 'is nitrogen worth it? And the answer is... if it's free, it's worth it...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
poochy

tires with nit

my personal opinion is maybe my tires blow at 100lbs due to temp, and pressure and the nit keeps my china bombs at 98lbs and still in one piece then god bless the tire shop with nit a few degrees means alot butch
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

I am not a scientist. But if race teams /aircraft use it then the differance can't be that small. your tv does not put the same stress or loads on the tires as your trailer does so heat is a factor in the trailer for me i feel beter with the nitrogen. and like hank. the truck gets air as i too change thepressures from form around town use to towing.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
I am not a scientist. But if race teams /aircraft use it then the differance can't be that small.
The difference is what it is and how much it matters depends on the application, not the magnitude. An aircraft tire goes from zero to 150 mph in a fraction of a second and it's better to not have any oxygen around when that happens, but that's not such a huge concern for an RV last time I checked. A minute change in tire pressure matters during a NASCAR or Indy race but is utterly inconsequential at normal road speeds. The needs of aircraft or race cars has little to do with the needs of an RV.

Fill your tires with nitrogen if you want, I'm not telling you not to. Following the thread topic I'm only trying to quantify the actual benefits for the purpose of discussion.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

70 TO ZERO DOSN'T COUNT? OOPS sorry not yelling forgot to turn the caps off! it's what makes you feel safe that matters ha ha
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #16
smiller

It does if you can do it in 1/4 second.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
SAABDOCTOR

Seen that happen just before the omg holy poop saaamash crash!