Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > New Keystone Classifieds | For Sale and Wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 04:57 AM   #1
KenJFerguson

New Surge Guard 50A Surge Protector Model 44270

Made a newbie mistake this summer while outfitting our new to us 2014 22RBPR with 30A electrical system and didn't check the model number when I bought this.

Thought I was buying the 30A model and didn't pay attention. Took it out of the box, stowed it in the garage and off we went only to discover my mistake at our first camping stop. Lived without a surge protector for a month of traveling until finally finding the 30A version and paying 140 for it.. ugh at an RV store in Boise.

Back home and time to sell this 50A model never used but not in the box.

Currently on Amazon for 100. Asking 85 and will ship free to you via FedEx or you can pick up from Cumming GA.

View this ad at Keystone Classifieds - New Surge Guard 50A Surge Protector Model 44270

KenJFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
Texas Steve

Ken, Why don't you use it with a 50amp to 30amp dogbone adapter? If you upgrade to a 50 amp model, then you will still have the protection. Just a thought.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Ken, sorry for the misfortune. Also, be aware that what you have is just a "surge protector". I does not protect you from the most common faults you will come across while camping. Here is a link to the Southwire unit that is a true EMS and protects your trailer;

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Agree with Danny. The $140 surge guard is more or less useless for catching power issues very very common to a lot of RV park pedestal supplies. Get an EMS.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
KenJFerguson

Smile

First off, thank you all for the input and education, some of which I considered, some not.

- a 30/50 dogbone came with the unit and my original thought was to use that combination until someone (don't remember who/where) pointed out some reason why this didn't protect as I thought it would.

- a long-time RV friend recommended a real EMS rather than just the surge protector but after spending $2k outfitting the trailer on top of purchase I wasn't willing to swallow the $250+ price tag (ironic since I spent $140 for something you all have pointed out is useless, I think they call that "false economy")

- love the trailer (beyond the soft floors, failing jack, 14" tires, bolt heads coming up through the floor, etc) so don't see moving to 50A unit. Interesting that in 30 parks in 9k miles always had 30A plugin and never had a power issue although often didn't see a 50A option.

Based on all the advice I agree that I need to sell the 30A too to a cheapskate like myself and buy the EMS with the proceeds.
KenJFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJFerguson View Post
First off, thank you all for the input and education, some of which I considered, some not.

- a 30/50 dogbone came with the unit and my original thought was to use that combination until someone (don't remember who/where) pointed out some reason why this didn't protect as I thought it would.

- a long-time RV friend recommended a real EMS rather than just the surge protector but after spending $2k outfitting the trailer on top of purchase I wasn't willing to swallow the $250+ price tag (ironic since I spent $140 for something you all have pointed out is useless, I think they call that "false economy")

- love the trailer (beyond the soft floors, failing jack, 14" tires, bolt heads coming up through the floor, etc) so don't see moving to 50A unit. Interesting that in 30 parks in 9k miles always had 30A plugin and never had a power issue although often didn't see a 50A option.

Based on all the advice I agree that I need to sell the 30A too to a cheapskate like myself and buy the EMS with the proceeds.

I think your analysis is good. The bad thing is you will eventually run into "that park" or "that place" and when you do....it's done. There's no "wait a minute I'll be right back with an EMS" or "I'll turn it off"....it just happens right then. Ask the guys in an RV park I was in that plugged into 2 newly installed 50A receptacles wired for 240 without an EMS - expensive. Going with the EMS is just a very smart decision.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote