Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
fireidiot

Digital TV question

In my old TT we had the converter boxes to align the antenna for the best reception. In my new Cougar, it came with a TV so I no longer need a box. But now, I can't see the signal level. Any ideas?
fireidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can't see the signal level with the factory installed Winegard signal booster. It's either off or on. turning the antenna won't give you any change in "reading" since there's only a green LED.

Winegard does make a replacement signal booster that has a digital signal strength meter in it. This booster is a direct replacement for the original one. Unscrew the two screws, remove the old one, disconnect the coax leads and the 12 VDC wires, reconnect them to the new one and slip it in the existing space, reinstall the 2 screws and you're done. You an see this new one at the following CW site:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...al-meter/55642

I have not purchased one of these (yet) so I can't offer any suggestions on whether or not it helps. Just giving you an answer to how you can measure your signal strength. Hope it helps.

Our current solution is, if in a campground to check where most of the other antennas on campers are pointing and start there. If we're in the "boonies" I aim the antenna toward the nearest big town and adjust from there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

If you have a smart phone download the app called TV Antenna Helper. Its a great tool that will map TV signals at your exact location.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
jbsmith

I added the upgraded the factory amp with the Sensar Pro with signal meter. I noticed a significant improvement in picture quality and reduction in pixelation and drop outs. The new panel does NOT have connectors on the front and will require you to run the cabling through the cabinet or rewire the satellite tv bypass loop if your trailer is pre-configured.

The audible peaking capability is very handy since our antenna is well away from the TV. Keep in mind that the virtual numbering is not always the same as the real or analog equivalent number on your set. I suggest using http://tvfool.com for a very comprehensive list of stations and pointing angles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339197244.811986.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1409

I also added the Sensar wing which increased received signal level by 2-3 dB.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote