Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
russellkids6
Permanent User Ban

Move Queen Bed

Has anyone ever moved the queen bed? I saw on another site that they moved the queen bed in a Passport..so that the headboard was at the side wall...and the base of the bed is facing the front door. They were then able to add a crib to the room and had more walking space. Just curious what is under the bed platform and how hard wpuld it be to move the bed frame?
russellkids6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
f6bits

Dang, I had a long response then lost it. Long story short:

*Most* of what’s under the bed is taken for other use, but that doesn’t matter much, as it’s just a platform. To fit a queen bed sideways, you’ll have to remove/restructure your closets, as they take up two feet of space at bed level. Half of the foot end of the bed is unavailable for who knows why. I need to open mine up and find out what they’re hiding in there.

Personally, I wouldn’t do such a major remodel just to fit a crib in there that you’ll only be using for about a year…probably less. One option is to put two kids in the queen bed and you and hubby can sleep in the lower bunks and put the crib back there.

Your username implies six kids, but I only count five. Is it just you two parents plus five kids?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
russellkids6
Permanent User Ban

Smile

lol We had 4 kids plus the two of us, so I made it russellkids then 6 for all of us. But then we snuck in another baby and now my username is a mess. I'm done having kids so...oh well to this username lol.
I mostly am just dying to know what is under the bed, lol. Curiosity killed the cat! I thought about just replacing the queen mattress with a full to gain some extra space for a portable crib...guess I will have to wait to see it in person. I have never seen the model we won, in person. It wont be ready for a few more weeks! So excited and full of stupid questions lol thanks for answering!
Would be nice to put the baby down for naps out of the way of the older kids...who knows. This is all so new to me. I have only been in an RV once LOL I decided I will spend the entire summer at the campground with 5 kids...this will be quite an adventure, for sure!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
KanTC

Hi Russell'mom', and a belated congratulations & welcome,

I don't know the design specs for Keystone trailers (obviously) but... in looking at
your floorplan, the weight appears evenly distributed side to side. That said, I'd be
concerned that moving the entire bed might change the (weight) balance on the trailer,
which could cause problems in the long-run. Also be aware that *remodeling* a brand
new trailer will probably void your warranty.

Not trying to ruin your idea, just offering some food for thought...

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
f6bits

Here’s another approach: Build a crib shelf between the queen bed closets. If you sleep with your feed at the headboard (closet end), you won’t bonk your head. Granted, the baby won’t be at your eye level, but that’s a good chunk of unused space. As I said, at bed level, it’s about 2 feet deep. At the top, it’s at least as deep as a clothes hanger, which may get a bit tight.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

we just used a pack and play, would fit nice rigt outside our door. during the day just folded it up and layed it next to our bed. took about 5 min to tear down and set up. for naps we just put her on the floor or set the pack and play up. the older ones will most likely be at the pool or out playing while the baby is sleeping anyway. don't go thru the agravation of remolding anything, not usually worth it in the long run.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
volvosweetie

I agree with the pack and play, there in front of the tv is a good place and gives you acess to baby but still room to get by at night. I used one with my son they are wonderful.

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
cumminsdad08

they sure are. i don't know how my parents did it with out it. i thought they were silly, till i got a kid anyway.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
russellkids6
Permanent User Ban

Thank you guys! I am modifying a portable crib. Will post pics when I get it done
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
f6bits

I finally went through and opened up all “hidden” compartments. That closed off half of the foot of the bed is the fresh water tank. The pump is in the nightstand on the street side of the queen bed. Now I wonder what’s under the belly of the trailer since the freshwater tank isn’t down there.

2011 Passport 2590BH