Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Folding Rear Seat Mod for Ram

Many of the folks on here travel with their pup(s) as do we. I'm sort of finicky about how the interior looks so we have the seats, console, dash, floors etc. covered with various materials to attract and hold puppy's hair. I've not found a way to make her little body (52 lbs.) not shed so we just cover the inside of the Ram.

I ordered a set of Covercraft? Carhartt seat covers for the truck to try to minimize all the stuff we put in it. Sort of expensive; $200 for the front buckets and $250 for the rear 60/40 seat. The front went on great; really pretty easy. Then we started on the rear.......

We found it was almost impossible to install the rear covers because we could not get around/behind the backs of the rear seat. They moved up and down to access the storage bins and fold flat floor but we could not contort enough to manipulate the straps for the covers. Then...

I found a post on the web that showed modifying the rear seats so they would fold forward. It required removing the rear seats which we did this afternoon. Made the modification to the retaining bars on the seats and we now have fold forward back seats for the truck. Installing the seat covers was then a breeze and it will make removal for washing a snap.

Never thought about trying to do it until the seat covers came in. Now, DW is VERY pleased with me for finding a way that we can conveniently put the covers on and off to clean them.

Just wanted to pass that along in case someone had thought about it, might think about it or was doing what we did with all kinds of sewn together materials to cover the seats.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Desert185

Our leather was showing signs of age and we have a 13# pup. When in Houston visiting the #1 son, he hooked me up with an outfit that does Katzkin leather on a dealer option level. We cut a deal that included freshening the fabric headliner and visors. The leather is incredible and surprisingly affordable for the quality and is easy to maintain.

What you did sounds like a good option, but Katzkin leather is another viable option if leather is a priority. I find it to be relatively low maintenance.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
66joej

Hey sourdough do you have a link to that video about the Ram rear seats. Sounds like something that would come in handy for our dog Junior. Can the seats stay up in that position when driving down the road? Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Hey sourdough do you have a link to that video about the Ram rear seats. Sounds like something that would come in handy for our dog Junior. Can the seats stay up in that position when driving down the road? Thanks
For us it's a super deal. Nothing changes in the operation of the seat except when you pull the bottom up, at the top of the apex of the "push", you just pull the back of the seat forward and it drops right down.

I checked the mod before I made it and after to make sure we weren't causing a safety issue and I don't see how that could be. The link I found also included the person's bit about storing his AR...I wasn't interested but the mod on the seat meant a lot to us. I'll post the link below, just ignore his comments about his gun storage; the fold forward part is really nice.

There are other posts about raising the bottom of the seats etc. but this is the safest and easiest mod that I found.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
nellie1289

whatever happened to dogs in the bed of your pickup!
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Mwoods321

With this mod are you able to go either way with the seat? Another words can you still fold up the rear seat bottoms as originally intended , and/or fold the seat back down if you wanted to store some gear back there?
Mwoods321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Nothing changes in the operation of the seat with the exception you can pull the back down if needed. We needed that so that we could put the seat covers on.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
the sodfather

Nice. I want to do that to my Chevy...
Old 05-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
whatever happened to dogs in the bed of your pickup!
They became family members and they behave better than most kids.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
They became family members and they behave better than most kids.

^^^^x2 LOL! Puppy does everything she can to do what we say, or do what she thinks we want. She is devastated if I raise my voice - even in conversation not related to her.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
BuxCamper

My cat has never been in the pickup yet the seat fabric Chevy choose picks up every bit of his hair from our clothes.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
My cat has never been in the pickup yet the seat fabric Chevy choose picks up every bit of his hair from our clothes.

You might look into the seat covers I mentioned above. So far it seems like I can just brush the puppy hair off. Time will tell I'm sure.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
BuxCamper

I can also hit it with a pint roller.

Now that we have a full hard side we are thinking of seeing how the cat handles a camping trip. Something not far from home and somewhere where we can spend the weekend at the campsite with him. He is 10 years old but still has plenty of energy. Once he settles into his new territory I think he'll be fine.

I've taken him out to the camper while getting it ready but he knows he is 20 feet from the house.

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post

I will never have another fabric seat in a vehicle.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod