Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
Well, I don't want to argue either, but he said three. I understand some people are unable to park in a single space. Of course I see sub-compact drivers can't manage to park in a single space.
I'm sorry you misunderstood my remark. It was in reference to your statement that you have "never" taken more than one spot with your F450, not the OP about 3 spaces.

That said, I agree with the previous poster about the design of parking lots; they are not designed for large trucks either in length, width or distance between the parking lanes. I have been stuck in a spot more than once because a long truck parked beside me preventing me from being able to turn the wheel soon enough while a long vehicle, or one that wasn't pulled all the way up, was behind me.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #22
notanlines

Matthelm, "The folding mirror part only got added in 2016" what kind of mirrors do you have?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #23
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
There are two types of spaces I park in with the F450 pickup. Either a space against a median of some sort where I can pick one further out and back in. In this I back in and take one space. That puts my fenders out of harms way and I fold the mirrors. That prevents people from walking into them. Since the bed overhangs the median, I don't stick out much farther than any other car.

Or, where cars are parked front to front, I pick two spots one in front of the other(not side to side) and pull all the way through. This does not leave space for someone to park behind me but it does put the dually fenders mostly out of harms way and I again fold the mirrors which does mean I take two spaces but don't require extra space on either side. The folding mirror part only got added in 2016 and I think is a big plus.
Ford super duties have had power folding and extending mirrors for almost ten years now. Came out in 2008. I had them on my 2010 F250. Unless you have something different?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #24
larry337

Oh and yes a dually fits in one spot but it will hang over front or back. So would a long bed single. I have parked in one and I have parked in the back forty depending on the situation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Not to harp on the parking issue with a dually but I went to the trouble of doing some measurements.

Went to our now non-existent Walmart to measure parking slots. This is what they are: width; 8'6" wide x 15' 3" long. There is approximately 21' between the ends of the stripes to make the rows. I then went to the Ford house and measured a new dually. 7'10" wide x 22' 5" long.

So for the reality of it; if there is a vehicle in each side of a single space it will be next to impossible to pull into it. If it is a longer truck it's a definite no go. If you WERE able to accomplish that you would extend over 7' past the end of the stripe for the space......into a separation of only 21' before the next stripe for the next row...what if a like truck is behind you - or anything else for that matter?

None of this is for argument. I just want to point out to a potential new DRW buyer that there ARE considerations to think about and you can't just wheel up and pull into any spot you want. You have to be selective and careful...but, I have to do that with my HD 2500. Just wanted to add some clarification.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not to harp on the parking issue with a dually but I went to the trouble of doing some measurements.

Went to our now non-existent Walmart to measure parking slots. This is what they are: width; 8'6" wide x 15' 3" long. There is approximately 21' between the ends of the stripes to make the rows. I then went to the Ford house and measured a new dually. 7'10" wide x 22' 5" long.

So for the reality of it; if there is a vehicle in each side of a single space it will be next to impossible to pull into it. If it is a longer truck it's a definite no go. If you WERE able to accomplish that you would extend over 7' past the end of the stripe for the space......into a separation of only 21' before the next stripe for the next row...what if a like truck is behind you - or anything else for that matter?

None of this is for argument. I just want to point out to a potential new DRW buyer that there ARE considerations to think about and you can't just wheel up and pull into any spot you want. You have to be selective and careful...but, I have to do that with my HD 2500. Just wanted to add some clarification.
As a note... a long-bed Crew cab F250 is the same length as a long-bed, crew cab dually... And the mirrors are the same width on either truck.. The rear fenders on a dually are no wider than the mirrors...

I drove a dually, daily for years and I've taken it through many a drive-thru, and even into some parking garages...

yes, I tend to park in two spaces because as pointed out many of today's parking lots are not "REAL" truck friendly and my truck is longer than a Yugo...

8' 6" is plenty wide to park a dually, I back in because it's easier for me and easier for the cars on either side of me...
Old 03-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
As a note... a long-bed Crew cab F250 is the same length as a long-bed, crew cab dually... And the mirrors are the same width on either truck.. The rear fenders on a dually are no wider than the mirrors...

I drove a dually, daily for years and I've taken it through many a drive-thru, and even into some parking garages...

yes, I tend to park in two spaces because as pointed out many of today's parking lots are not "REAL" truck friendly and my truck is longer than a Yugo...

8' 6" is plenty wide to park a dually, I back in because it's easier for me and easier for the cars on either side of me...

I agree with everything you say. I measured the rear fenders and I believe they were 10" further out (or it may have been 9" for the fender but the mudflap at the bottom made it 10" - each side). I couldn't measure mirrors because they were folded in.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with everything you say. I measured the rear fenders and I believe they were 10" further out (or it may have been 9" for the fender but the mudflap at the bottom made it 10" - each side). I couldn't measure mirrors because they were folded in.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ps_-_Specs.pdf

Here are the 2017 measurements
Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Thanks Javi. I didn't use the website because a: I was out and about at the old Walmart measuring spaces and b: I wanted to actually get an up close feel of the new Ford dually - they are nice. High side is even with tri focals (which don't work so good), cataracts and a thin tape measure I was almost on the money!!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #30
pawpaw

Luckily for me I drove tank trucks for Texaco hauling fuel in the New Orleans area years ago. Think a dually is bad try a conventional KW pulling a 45' tanker through the narrow streets of New Orleans. My advice is find an empty parking lot on the weekend and practice...take the trailer also if possible. I'm already teaching my 16 yr old grandson to be my co-driver...he handles the truck pretty good right now and next will be with the trailer hooked up. Lots of dually's out here in the country being used for daily drivers.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #31
trucker LOU

PawPaw, X-2 on the long nose & 45' tank from another ex " Tanker Yanker"---Lou---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #32
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
PawPaw, X-2 on the long nose & 45' tank from another ex " Tanker Yanker"---Lou---
Drove from '72 to '84 and that was enough for me!!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #33
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post
Thank you all for the info. I pulled the trigger and purchased a 2017 F350 DRW today. Now the fun begins. I traded In my 2015 F250. I really liked the truck but we purchased a Carbon 357 last fall and the 250 was underclassed to safely and legally tow this trailer. I had put airbags on the 250 so you hardly new the trailer was there but I think I was just counting the days until something bad happened. Much more piece of mind now.

The only thing I'm not fond of is the ugly steel rims. Have to upgrade down the road when new tires are needed.
Congrats on the '17...hope it has the factory prep kit for the puck system. Mine didn't and I've got to go aftermarket and use the mounting rails inside the bed. Sounds like the same reason I went with the dually before breaking something on the F-250. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new truck!!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #34
evanhix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Congrats on the '17...hope it has the factory prep kit for the puck system. Mine didn't and I've got to go aftermarket and use the mounting rails inside the bed. Sounds like the same reason I went with the dually before breaking something on the F-250. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new truck!!
May I recommend you go with the B&W Campanion hitch and their turnover ball mounting system? It is one of the best hitches you can buy but only slightly pricier then the competition. When you are not towing, there is no rail system in the bed of your truck. My new one came with the puck system and I am still going with the B&W hitch. Check out their website and reviews online. Pretty slick setup. http://www.turnoverball.com/
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #35
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post
May I recommend you go with the B&W Campanion hitch and their turnover ball mounting system? It is one of the best hitches you can buy but only slightly pricier then the competition. When you are not towing, there is no rail system in the bed of your truck. My new one came with the puck system and I am still going with the B&W hitch. Check out their website and reviews online. Pretty slick setup. http://www.turnoverball.com/
Some of the Curt and B&W hitches with the legs fit into the Ford/Reese factory puck system. Too avoid having to cut holes in addition to holes for the mounting system I decided to go with the Curt Q20 hitch in my truck...it takes the old school rails but the hitch can be removed when not towing. We've been using my son in laws F-250 with the 18k Reese Elite fifth wheel and have been fairly happy with it. Curt makes the factory system for Ram trucks and my Ram truck buddies really like their Curt hitches. I'm having it mounted and the bed sprayed next Tuesday. Only 350 miles on the truck so I've got a bit to go before towing the trailer. Nothing wrong with the B&W hitch either!