Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
donnadabb

Leave slide in or out?

Is there a reason not to leave your slide out when it is not in use? I have a 2010 Cougar X-lite
donnadabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you are frequently going in and out of your unit to get things or put things away that are inaccessible because the slide is "IN", then it might be worthwhile to leave it out. Lippert, the company that probably makes your slide components, does not recommend leaving it out for prolonged periods when not in use. Some people leave their slide out during their camping season and retract it when it won't be used for an extended period of time.
It is also recommended that you do not walk on the slide floor when it is retracted as it puts unnecessary stress on the floor which is raised slightly when retracted. If you have noticed, it does not sit flush/flat with with main floor of the RV when the slide is "IN".
Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
donnadabb

Thanks for your answer. I'm sorry I haven't responded quicker. We were actually camping this past weekend. I appreciate the info that you provided.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
therink

Personally, I would leave it in. The less exposure that the slide sidewalls, roof and underside get to the elements, the better. Rain water that runs down the slide end walls tends to wick inward onto the underside membrane (darco material) making it vulnerable to leaks over time.
There are numerous posts regarding water intrusion and subsequent water damage to slide out floors.
I was leaving my slides out on my 2010 fiver and discovered a small leak on the lower drip edge on one of the slide ends. Fortunately, I caught and repaired it quickly and no damage. I now leave them closed when not in use.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
mikell

On the other hand we're full timers but try to work the slides every couple of months. Thinking every month might be better. No problems so far but keep em lubed and exercised.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
donnadabb

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably bring the slide in after I clean it after this weekend. It's just so tempting to want to go in and play like you're camping while waiting for the next trip. Plus we work out of our home and it's a nice getaway!!!