Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
BPugs

Insurance

Just bought a Keystone Retreat that we have on a permeant campground seasonal site. Trying to explore insurance for these type of units for comprehensive damage and liability. Anyone have one how do you insure?
BPugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't keep mine at a permanent campsite but I insured mine with Geico. They have a specialized RV department and I just added it on with my other vehicles.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
BPugs

Thanks I was a 25 yr veteran in insurance adjusting. There are a ton of problems with RV insurance once they are not being towed. While towed plenty of coverage, and same is true when at campgrounds. But the picture changes once they are no longer towed and on a permeant seasonal site. My agent is searching the industry for the best possible coverage. The new destination trailers aren't really designed for over the road travel. They have running gears and a hitch with lights, but no bumper. They are designed to be towed once and parked. So coverages change.
BPugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I can see that. I worry about on the road. When it's parked it's on my adjacent property covered and locked. I guess the only insurance I have to worry about then is comp which it has, or, some kind of liability if I find someone trying to steal it and use my .45 on them
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Over here in on west coast, I have had 2 beach properties in Washington state, I use Oregon as my home state. 1st was a park trailer, 2nd is a Manufactured Home. I phoned CW for their ins information, they did not have any that fit. I went on the web asking for ins co.s in SW Wa to give me quotes, none did. I found Foremost ins would and have them since about 2001. It is under a part time lived in home ie, vacation home ins. Good Luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
arwenmark

I have Foremost, used to have it on my mobile home as well. I think they are the best bet.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
GaryWT

When I was seasonal my agent had me with Foremost. It was similar to a house policy, covered our shed and liability for the golf cart.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
roadglide

I have had farmers for 27 years . My agent set me up with formost replacement cost and said my rv is kinda of expensive. Where on the road sight seeing a lot. Tonight where at the lake no traffic few people.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #9
Road Dawg

Originally had coverage with State Farm but their coverage form was not designed for RVs and they tended to have premium creep on renewals. Moved to the Good Sam coverage due their form being specific for RVs, their reputatation/history with RVrs, and their pricing being competitive except for the 1st year "acquisition fee" added to the premium. On renewal, they again included the "acquisition fee" which I questioned based on documentation notes where their agent specifically advised that the fee was applicable only the first year. When I questioned them about charging it again, they were initially uncertain but finally came back and said the charge was continuous. Not impressed with their expertise, and certainly not what I would expect from Good Sam. Their form is good but the bottom line is that unfortunately I need to shop again.
Road Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
gtsum2

I had Erie but they wouldn't do replacement cost on the hauler (should it get totaled) so I have progressive now. Seems pretty pricy to me, but must be because of the full replacement value clause (or what I paid for the rig..no depreciation)