Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
Nuckledragger

Passport 2650- need sway bars and weight distro?

Hi all, new to he forum and soon to be new travel trailer owner. The dealer is pitching us on buying the weight distribution kit and sway bars along with the passport 2650. We will be towing with 2012 Tahoe. Are the sway bars and weight distro absolutely necessary? Nice to have? Or just give piece of mind when towing? I don't have a problem with the investment if there is a benefit. Thanks.
Nuckledragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
jtludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckledragger View Post
Hi all, new to he forum and soon to be new travel trailer owner. The dealer is pitching us on buying the weight distribution kit and sway bars along with the passport 2650. We will be towing with 2012 Tahoe. Are the sway bars and weight distro absolutely necessary? Nice to have? Or just give piece of mind when towing? I don't have a problem with the investment if there is a benefit. Thanks.

Yes you absolutely do. If you look closely I bet your Tahoe's manual requires a weight distro hitch to tow near its max..which you will be doing with this combo. Also sway will be a concern with this combination and you'll need some sort of sway control.

You don't have to buy the hitch from the dealer..there are a lot of different kinds on the market. What kind of hitch does the dealer want to sell you?
jtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. The Passport 2650BHWE is essentially a 30' long trailer with an empty weight of 5000 lbs with a hitch weight of about 500 lbs. It can weigh up to 7200 lbs (loaded) and the hitch weight will then be somewhere between 720 and 1080 lbs.

I believe the receiver on the Tahoe is rated at 500 lbs MAX with conventional trailer hitches and can go up to 1100 lbs MAX with weight distribution hitches. So, if you plan to tow this trailer with the factory receiver, then yes, you'll need a weight distribution hitch (you'd want it anyway to keep the headlights pointed toward the ground). Sway control is almost always a good idea on any trailer of that length when coupled with a relatively short wheelbase like the Tahoe.

I'd say your dealer's suggestion to get a WD hitch with sway control is an appropriate suggestion. However, do some research on this forum (and other places if you wish) to determine if his pricing and type of hitch are what you want.

Remember, not all WD hitches are the same quality, nor do they all function the same. Some have "built in" sway control and some don't. Those that don't will require "add on" sway control which sometimes doesn't perform as well as a quality hitch with all the "bells and whistles".

Do some research before you discount his suggestion as "not needed". You do want a WD hitch and sway control not only for functionality, but also for the safety of your family.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Nuckledragger

They carry 3 brands, Reese, Husky and 1 other. Thanks for the feedback.
Nuckledragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
GaryWT

Congrats and good luck. I was always told anything bigger than a pop up should have WD and yes, at 30 feet sway control. I have an equil-i-zer which is combined WD and sway, lover it and easy to use. No chains or anything. Connects and no time. There are better ones on the market and some not as good. Search and read here and you will find lots of info. Enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
{tpc}

Pay the extra bucks for a quality hitch. It's worth it. Mine isn't terrible but if I had to do it again, I'd add it into the entire package I financed anyways. The Tahoe is a shorter wheelbase, than say a suburban, so the additional cost of a nice hitch will be money well spent.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
larry337

Agreed you definitely need a good WD hitch with sway control. Reese dual cam, Husky, Equalizer, Blue OX are all good. I towed a similar size trailer to yours with an F250 without one and it was okay but the soft rear end and short wheel base of a Tahoe would demand one IMHO. You'll amazed how much bigger the trailer looks in your driveway attached to your truck then it looks on the dealer's lot or in the showroom. Its a big load and you'll definitely know its there with a Tahoe.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
86GT2r

I use an equalizer to tow my 2650BH & have no complaints. Go with a quality WD hitch & you will be happy.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Tbos

I have an Equalizer brand hitch that I used to tow my 238ML. Works well and is easy to use. Your dealer is right this time.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote