Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
B&T_NF-NY

theft concern

OK So far we really love our new RV (2017 Summerland 2200mb) It's now in storage for winter (western NY) how much should I worry about theft of the unit - it's in an enclosed storage locale with gate security / cameras lighted. With insurance already on it, how much precautions should I invest in ? Any ideas - experience is very appreciated. (ounce of prevention = etc..) Thanks
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

There's not much you can do to prevent a motivated, intent someone from taking your RV or breaking in in an enclosed "storage" area. I am assuming that means a fenced area that's somehow guarded.

No matter where I am or what I do I always keep hitch and coupler locks on my trailer. I have my propane tanks locked down. I also have a myriad of other things "hooked" up at a campsite to make theft pretty lengthy. In storage, I would put as many deterrents as possible on the rig. In my case, I put mine in a sealed, steel storage building with tall fencing, electric gates with combination access, combo access to the steel door to the building, sodium lights....and cameras. Even then I have the hitch and coupler locks on and everything locked up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
notanlines

B&T, keep in mind you have insurance. If the entire rig is stolen that's the best bet. You don't want it back. The door will be ripped open and all your good "stuff" will be torn off the walls and the rest strewn about. Settle with Prudential/Geico and go shopping. It is impossible to keep a thief out of the inside of your rig. Slam door locks? Uh huh....This isn't brick and stick they are light aluminum. Don't sweat it. Put it in storage, go by on occasion and see sweet-thing all wrapped nice and cozy waiting for you and Momma and the kids in the spring. It is why you have insurance.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 AM   #4
earlzach

I'm sure your uncomfortable about it being away out of site. I know I would. I feel your pain!! I know its not always easy but look around or think of a family or friend who might be able to let you park it there. I know I would like that much better that a public storage lot. Its great you have insurance. But if it gets ruined it wont be fixed in time for the next camping season by the time you find the damage and losses it could be weeks after the event.
Good luck, lets just hope the people in your area have more respect.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:12 AM   #5
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
B&T, keep in mind you have insurance. If the entire rig is stolen that's the best bet. You don't want it back. The door will be ripped open and all your good "stuff" will be torn off the walls and the rest strewn about. Settle with Prudential/Geico and go shopping. It is impossible to keep a thief out of the inside of your rig. Slam door locks? Uh huh....This isn't brick and stick they are light aluminum. Don't sweat it. Put it in storage, go by on occasion and see sweet-thing all wrapped nice and cozy waiting for you and Momma and the kids in the spring. It is why you have insurance.
Yep, I would have to agree, there's only so much you can do other than having insurance. I use a lock on my pin, and in the garage I run a cable through the big stuff, other than that, I keep my insurance paid up! I would make sure you lock deadbolts on your doors because we had some breakins where I store my RV. They got in all that didn't have deads locked, ones that had them locked only needed to replace door latch/lock. As mentioned though, if someone is determined to get in they will no matter what you do.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
OK So far we really love our new RV (2017 Summerland 2200mb) It's now in storage for winter (western NY) how much should I worry about theft of the unit - it's in an enclosed storage locale with gate security / cameras lighted. With insurance already on it, how much precautions should I invest in ? Any ideas - experience is very appreciated. (ounce of prevention = etc..) Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
I'm sure your uncomfortable about it being away out of site. I know I would. I feel your pain!! I know its not always easy but look around or think of a family or friend who might be able to let you park it there. I know I would like that much better that a public storage lot. Its great you have insurance. But if it gets ruined it wont be fixed in time for the next camping season by the time you find the damage and losses it could be weeks after the event.
Good luck, lets just hope the people in your area have more respect.
I am sorry, I stored our 32' 5er in a Private storage lot for four years without issue. I state Private as opposed to Public, as it was gated, security cameras covered the whole yard, security code required for entry and exit, and on site watch person.

I never worried about the unit in this facility!

Storing at home is far less secure, do you have a locked fence around it?
Do you have a security camera system running 24/7/366?
Do you have a full time watch person 24/7/366?
The other part of storing at home, when it leaves, it alerts thieves that have been watching the area that you are gone!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
travelin texans

From experience they don't want your rv just the tv's, stereos, or anything else that's easily removed & quickly sold/pawned for drug money. They will break a window to crawl in & unlock the door which is quicker than prying the door open. If your in a gated, fenced, secured & patrolled storage facility then you are much less likely to have problems unless the guard is asleep or part of the plot. If you've ever noticed new rv lots there's no tv's in most of the new ones.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Coming from a 6 year full time auto theft Det. Rvs are real low on the radar of the thieves as far as the towable type. Yes it has happened but, nationwide the numbers are very low. As far as the standard go and steal the unit theft. For many reasons. The few I dealt or read reports about were the type that where a private sale gone bad or salesman that were crooks at used dealerships. Those are more of a fraud although they get reported as a theft.
There has been one reported on this forum from a RV park. I still think that was likely a repo not stolen. People report repo's as stolen all the time, I once took a report of a truck camper stolen that was repo'ed. Someone on here reported their TT was stolen and it likely was.
Motor homes get stolen a lot more than any other RV. Even those numbers are small compared with boats, utility trailers etc.
Break ins while the TT is in storage at home or at a lot does happen and in some areas that is a big problem.
Want to prevent the theft of your unit. Park it some where that is safe. You should know areas that have high crime and those that do not.
Invest it a real good tongue lock. None or 100% like all things in life but death and taxes but, they help, why? If your trailer is harder to steal then the others in the lot or take to much time. Most crooks will go to the easier ones.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

One of the problems with trailer theft is no "sure way" to lock the wheels. Some members have resorted to chains through the wheels, tire locks, cables through adjoining wheels and some other solutions. One of the drawbacks was price of the tire locks, some are well over $100 each. A problem with them is that if you only use one, a thief can remove that wheel/tire and still tow your trailer on 3 tires.

Grip-on tools just introduced a "relatively inexpensive" (about $10 each) wheel/tire lock that secures the wheel to the spring behind it. This makes stealing the wheel/tire much more difficult and eliminates the possibility of removing one wheel and still towing the trailer on the remaining 3.

While I haven't seen these in action, it does look like a relatively inexpensive method of securing wheels to the trailer so they can't be stolen and also preventing the trailer from being towed.

The "new lock" is shown here in the first picture and the older type wheel/tire lock is shown in the following two pictures.

I have no interest in the company and have not yet used the product. Just posting about a possible "new alternative".... http://www.gripontools.net/store/product.php?id=16167
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel lock 16167.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	14641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Lock.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	14642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Lock 1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	14643  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

In addition to what has already been suggested, you might want to consider:

1) removing the batteries from the unit;
2) go through your exterior storage compartments and remove any items which might be "attractive" to thieves;
3) remove TV set(s) or other such valuables from the interior;
4) remove both tires/wheels and place unit on suitable supports;
5) remove tongue/hitch as opposed to installing a lock.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
notanlines

Festus, Festus; you missed "remove the pin box."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
B&T_NF-NY

Theft worries . . Thanks

Hi All, Thanks so much for all of your help. I've already removed the battery, spare tire and anything of value from the unit. I'ts in an enclosed lighted RV storage lot with a key code entry (not manned). I haven't secured the propane tanks though that's not a bad idea. I doubt that I will remove the wheels and place it on blocks, but I plan on getting a hitch lock. Other than that, I will rely on my insurance if I am misfortunate enough to need it. Thank you all for your help. Bruce & Tina
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Just for information, you may apply this to RV or may not. A simple lock on the auto steering wheel at around 25 bucks, remember the club. Crooks could see the lock on the car. Yes, I know how to defeat that system but, here bad guys just passed them up. Why? somewhere in the parking lot or on the same road was a car they wanted without one of those simple locks. That lock nearly ended auto theft when used.
I and my unit recovered about 5030 stolen vehicles while working auto theft full time. We got many other theft reports from nearby PDs. We and I seen thousands of reports. I know of 2 cases that a car was stolen with the steering wheel lock on it. 1st case the car and theft got to the first turn in the road and the stolen car was abandon there. The other, the theft removed the steering wheel with the lock still on it. It was lying in the cargo area. I seen it. He replaced the steering wheel. That was a older vehicle without a air bag.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
B&T_NF-NY

visual deterent

Thanks so much for your advice. It's true that you won't stop a determined thief, but visual preventive measures might be all the difference. Point taken, we will definitely look into this . . Thanks again