Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Frisbeekev

Has anyone- Switched out steps

I am considering switching my metal steps into the RV to aluminum ones. Has anyone done this? What is the process, and is it worth it?
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
goducks

FWIW the DW and I were doing the rounds a couple weeks ago at the local RV show. Many of the new aluminum steps were noisy and didn't offer any more support than metal. My 5 year old metal steps are not noisy and open and close very easy. I keep them lubed up.
IMO the new solid steps regardless of which MFG are the way to go. The ones we stepped on going in and out were very solid and obviously quiet. Cost wise there's not much difference and the benefits are way better for the solid steps.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
busterbrown

Many of the new coaches I've seen recently at a local RV show were equipped with MORryde's StepAbove entry steps.

If I were to upgrade, I would definitely consider these as the stability is virtually night and day from the traditional pull-out chassis steps. And they're a bolt on application.

Here's the link to the product line and application guide.

http://www.morryde.com/product-category/12-steps
http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downl...ifier_v15c.pdf
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Only real issues with the solid steps:
You need 36” clearance to deploy.
You need to clean off the treads BEFORE you stow it.

They are becoming a popular feature, but not “all that” IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
MerlinB

I replaced my OEM steps with these:

These are the Torklift Glowsteps. They have three adjustment positions at the top and five at the bottom. They are not cheap. I am very happy with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170519_154638.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	15386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170519_154441.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	15387  
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
I replaced my OEM steps with these:

These are the Torklift Glowsteps. They have three adjustment positions at the top and five at the bottom. They are not cheap. I am very happy with them.
We have installed them a few times...I like them too!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
goducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

The clearance part could be an issue but only in a parking lot. As far as them being dirty, thats what brooms are for. I bet it only takes 20 secs to sweep all 3 steps. The upside is you have a solid quiet steps for the whole camping trip.
We put a 16" wide rug down on our fold up steps and that keeps them clean.
Rain would likely be the biggest issue.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
The clearance part could be an issue but only in a parking lot.
Or storage facility
Rain and mud would be an issue, but it sounds like you have that handled. I will admit they are getting popular, much like outside kitchens.

Those that have them seem very happy with them and more power to them. I was just trying to make sure that anybody considering them knew about the issues I have run into on a daily basis.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

My solid steps (Torklift Glowsteps) don't have those issues. I don't need any more clearance than I needed with the OEM pullout steps.

I looked at the Lippert and MorRyde steps and I just simply could not come to grips with the idea of folding the steps up inside of the trailer. I know, they cost a LOT less than the Torklift Glowsteps but, I just couldn't deal with that issue. YMMV.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 02-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Like ice cream, some prefer vanilla, some chocolate and yes, some only want butter pecan.... Anyway, PPL motorhomes is having a sale on MorRyde Step Above systems. They offer a $9.99 shipping for most of their products, so if anyone is "interested in the mod" take a look at PPL's sale: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/search...above-02-24-18

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
texas-traveler

on my other brand we had switched the standard steps to a lippert quad radius step. worked good. then we traded the other rv in and kept the lippert steps.
now have the morryde steps in the new rv. Like them so far
Old 02-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
busterbrown

Deployment length could/may be an issue in 5th wheel and toy hauler coaches where ground height requires a 4-5 step run. With many of the traditional travel trailers on the market, you'd only be replacing with 3 steps, a considerable less radius of travel from the entry door's threshold. The RV show I went to a few weeks ago showcased more travel trailers than ever before with 3 solid step units. IMO, at around $300, it's a worthy upgrade.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I am interested in replacing our steps with something more stable, less wobbly. I do not want anything that folds into the door. I have looked quite a bit and I have a few questions for those that may have experience with this;

Is the Torklift the only solid step system that just folds up like the OEM?

Does it, or any other like it, bolt into the existing mounts on the trailer or does everything have to come out requiring new holes to be drilled etc.?

Ours are 22" steps and I have them covered with fabric attachments that help a lot with FL sand. Do those same type of accessories work on the aftermarket steps?

Just a few questions that come to mind so we don't get a rude surprise. I don't want to spend more than I have to but I do want what fits my criteria. Thoughts and experiences welcomed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #14
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Is the Torklift the only solid step system that just folds up like the OEM?

Does it, or any other like it, bolt into the existing mounts on the trailer or does everything have to come out requiring new holes to be drilled etc.?

Ours are 22" steps and I have them covered with fabric attachments that help a lot with FL sand. Do those same type of accessories work on the aftermarket steps?
There may be others but the Torklift is the only one I am aware of. And, yes, it attaches to your existing step mounting plates. You can verify this by measuring between the plates your steps are attached to. It should be around 27-1/2 inches. When I removed the original steps I found there were three pairs of holes in the attachment plates. The original steps were bolted into the middle pair but I had to get the Torklift steps up higher and bolt them into the top pair.

The steps themselves are 22-1/2" wide and 8" deep. When they are folded up there is about 1" of space between the steps so I suppose you could attach the standard wrap around step rugs to them. I had them on my old steps but they were the curved style so they wouldn't work on the new steps. Anyway, I haven't really felt the need to put them on the new steps because I like the texture that is molded into the surface of the steps.

If you go to the Torklift web site it has instructions for measuring to determine exactly which steps you need to fit your rig. Hope this helps.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution

Disclaimer: I have no connection or interests in Torklift, just a satisfied customer.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you. I just don't want to tear out all the existing mounting brackets and start from scratch drilling new holes, cutting here and there etc. The OEMs bounce a lot and grounded steps would help IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
Frank G

For those of you in a more permanent situation you may want to consider a step that greatly enhances the safety of entering and exiting the unit. I am in a situation where we lease a yearly lot although we only live on it 5 or 6 months a year. In the resort where we are at over 70% of the unites have similar steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_094655.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	15413  
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote