Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #101
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Yes coverage is good for stupid and dumb people. If not they would pay hardly any claims.
I think that's an over generalization. There are far to many variables including what state regulatory laws state. If anyone really want's to know then I'd suggest sending your insurance agent/carrier an email and ask "If I knowingly tow above the stated maximum weight weight as displayed on the placard and have an accident am I still covered?" I'd be interested in seeing the replies.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #102
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think that's an over generalization. There are far to many variables including what state regulatory laws state. If anyone really want's to know then I'd suggest sending your insurance agent/carrier an email and ask "If I knowingly tow above the stated maximum weight weight as displayed on the placard and have an accident am I still covered?" I'd be interested in seeing the replies.

In a little twist on that theory I'll tell you about my neighbor;

A farmer heading to the fields. The fog was almost impenetrable and it was raining. He was heading down the highway at approx. 45mph (speed limit then 70mph). An oilfield tanker truck had pulled completely across the highway and was just sitting there. The neighbor saw it at the last minute and hit the brakes trying to steer to hit the tire/wheel combo vs going under the tanker. Almost killed him and busted much of him up. He still can barely walk to this day.

At trial they were looking at an 8M settlement. The defense lawyer asked if he thought ANY part of it could be his fault; ANY. He's a straight up country boy so he said he didn't think so given the circumstances but he wasn't sure. That 8M tentative settlement came out to less than 2 after that statement. I was not there so don't know the exact sequence of events but he is the one that told me with a wry grin.

Given that, can one imagine what a jury is going to do if an individual admits, or is found to have admitted, being overweight in a deadly crash? Acknowledged publicly that they don't/didn't abide by any weight limitations - they mean nothing?? And this guy didn't die. Something to think about.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #103
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Every truck I've owned/driven had the door jamb stickers with this information,
-GVWR
-Front/rear axle weights
-Tire weights
-And a paragraph, usually on the same stickers as tire load weight, that states "load & occupants MUST NOT EXCEED XXXX", this number is the payload of that truck.
None of which should be exceeded!!!
NOWHERE on that sticker, or anywhere other than advertising, is it printed the max tow weight of the truck.
Apparently that one particular CHP officer is choosing to also ignore some of the "must not exceed" weights as others are.
Almost all the time, the max tow rating is a moot point for trucks that tow 5th Wheel Camping type trailers. You will almost 100% of the time exceed the truck's payload capacity long before you reach the towing capacity. Flatbed/utility trailers.....now that's a different story.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #104
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Almost all the time, the max tow rating is a moot point for trucks that tow 5th Wheel Camping type trailers. You will almost 100% of the time exceed the truck's payload capacity long before you reach the towing capacity. Flatbed/utility trailers.....now that's a different story.
And that's why all the manufacturers use "flatbed trailers with bricks/blocks stacked over the axles to maximize the trailer weight while minimizing the tongue weight when doing their "maximum trailer capacity and GCWR specs"...

They all know most users don't differentiate "trailer types with max towing" so they can "use the sleight of hand" (paper magic) to one up the competition by carefully balancing the trailer and hooking it behind a truck....

See, our truck tows more than the others, and we've got J2808 to prove it....

As for insurance covering an overloaded vehihcle.... Most insurance policies have an exclusion that allows them to void the policy if the loss occurred while violating the law... I think that exclusion was intended to allow them to not pay claims if the insured was "running from the police" or "using the vehicle in the commission of armed robbery, etc."

But, then it comes down to the question of "Is a driver violating a law or a regulation when towing overweight?" I hope I'm never in a position of arguing with Allstate or State Farm over such questions I don't think it would be "fun" to have to sue your insurance company to get them to cover your civil suits in a Personal Injury of Felonious death" lawsuit......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #105
notanlines

"Most insurance policies have an exclusion that allows them to void the policy if the loss occurred while violating the law."
That would actually read WTTE 'in the commission of a felony.'
Where would we be if insurance didn't cover if one was DWI, speeding, improper passing, reckless driving or towing overweight?
The insurance company certainly won't be happy, but they are paying nonetheless.
On edit: I forgot to add my source. A little long, but somewhat interesting:
https://www.insure.com/car-insurance...0your%20policy.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #106
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

A farmer heading to the fields. The fog was almost impenetrable and it was raining. He was heading down the highway at approx. 45mph (speed limit then 70mph). An oilfield tanker truck had pulled completely across the highway and was just sitting there. The neighbor saw it at the last minute and hit the brakes trying to steer to hit the tire/wheel combo vs going under the tanker. Almost killed him and busted much of him up. He still can barely walk to this day.

At trial they were looking at an 8M settlement. The defense lawyer asked if he thought ANY part of it could be his fault; ANY. He's a straight up country boy so he said he didn't think so given the circumstances but he wasn't sure. That 8M tentative settlement came out to less than 2 after that statement. I was not there so don't know the exact sequence of events but he is the one that told me with a wry grin.

Given that, can one imagine what a jury is going to do if an individual admits, or is found to have admitted, being overweight in a deadly crash? Acknowledged publicly that they don't/didn't abide by any weight limitations - they mean nothing?? And this guy didn't die. Something to think about.

Reference the red highlight above from my post yesterday;

In one of life's twists and ironies, my good neighbor's wife called early this morning (she and DW are best friends) to tell us this gentleman died this morning. Coming out of bedroom to go to breakfast, made a little gasp, said "just a minute" grabbing the door frame, then fell forward on his face dead from an apparent heart attack. One of his favorite sayings when speaking of someone he respected was "he's a goodun".....and he was.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #107
webrider32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcholt7379 View Post
We are pulling a 2019 Cougar 315RLS with Anderson Hitch.

Does anyone recommend adding airbags or airlift to smooth out the ride? We upgrade from a 27 ft bumper pull.

I am waiting for hip surgery, so; I have some downtime.
I think they do. I have a 17’ F-350 CC DRW with AirLift 5000 Bags and there compressor system. I don’t need them but like the ride better with and without the load, and with the compressor I can change the pressure on the fly. Just remember they don’t increase payload.
webrider32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #108
Haoleman

I also have a 2016 F250 S/B pulling a 2014 Alpine. Not sure what kind of weight you have with the Cougar, but I added the bags which made my ride a lot better, then later I took it a step further and decided to put a shock system on the trailer. Living in California the hiways here are the worst, but we have taken several 500+ mile trips and it pulls great.
Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #109
jsb5717

For us the air bags definitely smooth out the ride. The Andersen Hitch is smooth and quiet so there's no chucking, or bumping, or noise (assuming it's installed/torqued correctly). What's left is some porpoising as both truck and trailer arm-wrestle for equilibrium after a bump or swale. About 35 psi in our air bags makes that feel much better and keeps the whole assembly from any lurching through those common transitions. You will need to experiment for the best result for you.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #110
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Juries can NEVER be predicted. The first trucking company I worked for had a policy that stated any driver parking their rig on the side of an interstate highway would be fired immediately if caught. This was in response to a jury verdict handed down when one of their drivers BROKE DOWN ONE NIGHT, PULLED THE RIG INTO THE EMERGENCY LANE, TURNED ON HIS FLASHERS, SET OUT TRIANGLES (as required by DOT/FMCSA) AND CALLED THE COMPANY FOR A WRECKER. A family of four being driven by the father (who they believe fell asleep at the wheel) drifted off the road into the emergency lane and struck the semi trailer, killing all four occupants. The jury awarded the families estate $189 MILLION! The driver did everything he was supposed to do, by the book, yet a jury found negligence somehow. You can never dismiss the human factor in these trials. Obviously this verdict is being appealed.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #111
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Juries can NEVER be predicted. The first trucking company I worked for had a policy that stated any driver parking their rig on the side of an interstate highway would be fired immediately if caught. This was in response to a jury verdict handed down when one of their drivers BROKE DOWN ONE NIGHT, PULLED THE RIG INTO THE EMERGENCY LANE, TURNED ON HIS FLASHERS, SET OUT TRIANGLES (as required by DOT/FMCSA) AND CALLED THE COMPANY FOR A WRECKER. A family of four being driven by the father (who they believe fell asleep at the wheel) drifted off the road into the emergency lane and struck the semi trailer, killing all four occupants. The jury awarded the families estate $189 MILLION! The driver did everything he was supposed to do, by the book, yet a jury found negligence somehow. You can never dismiss the human factor in these trials. Obviously this verdict is being appealed.
And the current human factor has lost their friggin' minds. And I don't think it will get any better. We just don't live in our momma and daddy's world anymore.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed