Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
edgarg

Exclamation Wheel Failure Problem- Danger!

Inspect your wheels frequently! I have a 2010 Raptor 300 toy hauler. In November 2018 we were traveling east from Texas to Georgia on I-10 which had lots of rough asphalt due to construction. Reached Jackson MS late in the day. Observed left front trailer tire was a little low on air pressure. However, the bigger issue was that 7 of the 10 spokes on the OEM aluminum wheel were broken thru! Checked the other wheels and found that 3 of the 4 wheels had at least one broken spoke. This could have resulted in a highway catastrophe. Camping World in Jackson stayed open late, found replacement steel wheels, and arranged for a late evening installation. I sent photos and info to Keystone. They called for more information but offered no explanation or assistance, I suppose because the RV was out of warranty. I insisted they inform NHSTA and offered to provide the broken wheels for lab testing but never got any contact. I replaced the 4 wheels with higher rated wheels. So far no problems and I will now dispose of the old broken wheels unless someone reading this thread has a suggestion for how to better close this matter.
edgarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Contact the WHEEL MANUFACTURER, not Keystone.....

Many wheels have a lifetime warranty from the WHEEL MANUFACTURER. They (all that I've had any dealings with) are extremely interested in failure of their product and they would prefer to "handle it internally rather than through the federal government"... It's cheaper for them, doesn't create nearly the explosive reactions that a report to NHTSA can cause....

Keystone, in their owner's manual, states that any warranty issues/product issues that occur after the "Keystone 1 year warranty" are the responsibility of the owner/service center to address with the component manufacturer... Essentially, what they told you is that they aren't responsible and won't step in to fix it after 1 year.... That might not be "exactly what they said, or what you heard, but if you contact the wheel manufacturer, I'd almost bet you'll get 4 new wheels and a request to send the old ones back for inspection....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I hope this hasn't/ doesn't happen to anyone else.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Hblick48

I was in the wheel repair business and have successfully welded thousands of cracked wheels, HOWEVER, there is one crack that we would NEVER repair, and that is a cracked spoke.

You are VERY LUCKY that you didn't have a catastrophic failure with 7 out of 10 spokes cracked.

I'm sure wheel manufacturer would want to hear from you as JRTJH has stated.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
captcolour

You might want to check out my cracked wheel problem here:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...=HiSpec&page=2

I reported to NHTSA and found out that the wheels had actually been recalled a few years earlier for the same issue from faulty manufacturing. HiSpec refunded me the cost of the wheels plus I charged them the $150 it cost me for unmounting and remounting the tires onto new wheels.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
Customer1

Don't expect Keystone to file with the NHTSA, you need to do it immediately. Your experience is exactly the kind of thing they want to know about.

A picture of the wheel might help someone identify the manufacturer and help all of us in checking ours.

Do NOT dispose of the wheels.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
edgarg

I have been unable to determine the manufacturer of the wheels as there does not seem to be any clues cast into the wheels. When I raised the issue in a call with the Keystone Customer Service representative I was told that Keystone was not able to provide that information. Any ideas on identifying the manufacturer? I have good photos.
edgarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
Carl n Susan

Most likely the wheels came from Tredit and are guaranteed for life to the oriignal owner. Give them a call and check it for yourself. I know three Rvers who have had their wheels replaced after a crack was detected.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarg View Post
I have been unable to determine the manufacturer of the wheels as there does not seem to be any clues cast into the wheels. When I raised the issue in a call with the Keystone Customer Service representative I was told that Keystone was not able to provide that information. Any ideas on identifying the manufacturer? I have good photos.
I believe your wheels are these:
https://www.trekwood.com/products/19...m-Split-Spk-To

If so, they are Tredit wheels, https://www.tredittire.com/wheels/ You can find the model of your wheel, contact information for Tredit and some information about their warranty at that site. Tredit aluminum wheels carry a lifetime warranty, but there are some exclusions. You can view the warrant at the Tredit site in the support links.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Yea, check the wheels. Just a part of the RV you should be looking at on a routine inspection. I am guessing that the posters wheels did not all crack at the same time or on the same trip. I have never had a cracked rv, pickup, car wheel, but I look at them. I have found bent and chipped wheels. On comm. trucks during inspection I have found some. I also hand wash my vehicles, all 5 just doing that is a general inspection. I found an oil leak last week on the Trail Blazer during the wash. It ended up being the oil pressure sending unit.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
CWtheMan

File a safety complaint with NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/thankyou

Keystone RV does not administer the warranty for tires/wheels. Please contact the tire/wheel manufacturer direct at:

1. Americana (Kenda) - 800-225-4714 www.americanatire.com

2. Goodyear - US 800–321-2136/CA 800-387-3288 www.goodyear.com

3. HiSpec Wheel & Tire, Inc (Provider, Grand Ride, Good Ride) – 574-807-8588 www.hispecwheel.com

4. Lionshead Specialty Tire (Westlake, Sterling, Ridgeway, Constancy) - 574-533-6169 www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com

5. TBC (Towmax, Trailer King, Sailun) - 800-238-6469 www.tbccorp.com

6. Tireco (Mudstar) - 800-937-9433 www.tireco.com

7. Tredit Tire and Wheel (Rainier, Arisun) - 855-8-Tredit www.tredittire.com
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #12
Tireman9

Quote:
Inspect your wheels frequently! I have a 2010 Raptor 300 toy hauler. In November 2018 we were traveling east from Texas to Georgia on I-10 which had lots of rough asphalt due to construction. Reached Jackson MS late in the day. Observed left front trailer tire was a little low on air pressure. However, the bigger issue was that 7 of the 10 spokes on the OEM aluminum wheel were broken thru! Checked the other wheels and found that 3 of the 4 wheels had at least one broken spoke. This could have resulted in a highway catastrophe. Camping World in Jackson stayed open late, found replacement steel wheels, and arranged for a late evening installation. I sent photos and info to Keystone. They called for more information but offered no explanation or assistance, I suppose because the RV was out of warranty. I insisted they inform NHSTA and offered to provide the broken wheels for lab testing but never got any contact. I replaced the 4 wheels with higher rated wheels. So far no problems and I will now dispose of the old broken wheels unless someone reading this thread has a suggestion for how to better close this matter.

You need to and can file complaint with NHTSA. The vehicle manufacturer is responsible for providing failure information to DOT even when the part is out of warranty but many do not. If possible keep the failed wheels and definitely keep pictures. The wheels should be replaced AT NO COST TO YOU.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #13
rs1718

Nice of keystone to let us know they were recalled.��
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1718 View Post
Can you provide the link?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #15
Tireman9

Quote:

Yes they were suppose to register the sale of the RV with your name. That would have meant you would receive the recall notice. But that takes effort on the part of the dealers and the company.

Keystone would know which wheels and tires and other major components went on which vehicle based on the VIN. At the time and point of sale the consumer would become the "registered owner" and Keystone was suppose to keep that information and they can provide it to an agency that notifies owners of recalls.

I covered Recalls in a number of my posts on my RVTireSafety blog.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #16
Ken / Claudia

Some what way too late for the poster since his problem was Nov 2018, but others may now have resources if they have wheel cracking problems.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
Ccrew

Another cause of wheel failures are folks going to higher load rated/pressure tires, then running them at an inflation pressure higher than the wheels are rated. I saw that with mine when I went to replace my China bombs with Endurance and neither the wheel pressure rating nor the max load anywhere near matched the tire. Spec's are cast into the back side of the rims. I replaced wheels and tires.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It doesn't appear (from the Keystone website) that the wheels were recalled by Keystone. You can check the complete recall history on any Keystone RV at this link: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/recalls/ Just select the brand and all recalls issued by Keystone will appear.

Unless there is an administrative error on the Keystone website, they have not issued any "wheel recall" on any year Raptor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #19
RickReichert

Quote:
A wheel failed on my travel trailer a few years ago. It broke where the spokes were welded to the rim. I should have known something was wrong, since there were rust stains in the area of those welds. Yes, inspect those wheels often!!!
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #20
Wil&Kath

Wheel Failure

We were not so lucky as you, our steel spoke wheel completely failed all the spokes broke at 65 MPH and the rim and tire took off and was never seen again. Made a report to the National Highway Safety Board, the wheel manufacturer contacted me. They replaced all four wheels. Also one other wheel had one spoke broke and another part way cracked. So contact the wheel manufacturer, maybe they will stand by their wheels.
Wil&Kath is offline   Reply With Quote