Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Twisties

I knew this RVing thing was going to be trouble...

Got 30-days timeout on Facebook for discussing the cost of a full hookup at a campground. You can't make this up. I appealed and got back on, but really. SMH.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
jsb5717

So, Facebook will tolerate bullying, radical political nonsense, and a host of general stupidity but they draw the line at the cost of a campground hookup?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
notanlines

Twisties, do you think that maybe you might have been better off WITHOUT Facebook? I could write for 15 minutes belittling users and the whole concept of Facebook, but I would then feel the heavy wrath of those who believe that the masses actually are interested in what time their reservations are at La Posh Bistro and what they are going to order.
Yes, I know I'm just too old. I'm so old that I still make phone calls to people.
Okay, I can take it....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

I don't have a facebook account but my wife and all her kin and close friends are in one facebook gaggle (not sure of technical jargon) and she loves to keep track of aunts, uncles, siblings, cousins and gals she went to school with and friends from church. It allows them to send idiotic jibber back and forth and share pics and such. I would say if facebook is used intelligently it won't make you any dumber than not using it at all. I hang out on camper, bike, shooting forums and such and she thinks I waste my time. As the frenchies say, say la vee!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
As the frenchies say, say la vee!
It's actually c'est la vie.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
... As the frenchies say, say la vee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist
Says the guy, "not from Texas".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I am a member of facebook simply, initially, I thought it would be helpful to stay in contact with friends. Wrong. It is a place for you and yours to be tracked, filled with bs (for those without the wherewithal to know) and just in general junk. It's not a good thing for good people and good folks just don't understand that.

I used to be on the front edge of tech, now I'm here. What we all have to understand is that these "social" arenas have motives far beyond "helping" you. Seems neat but on the backside, they accumulate data about you and your family, filter what you can see/hear....manipulate you. If you say anything outside the boundaries of what the site wants to be seen or said....you're banned. So OP, I get it and thanks. Oh, and off my box.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
gearhead

Quote:

Sorry, couldn't resist
Naw, we spell fonetikly, like we talk.

say la vee
said the old folks, you know you never can tell.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
66joej

Quote:
So, Facebook will tolerate bullying, radical political nonsense, and a host of general stupidity but they draw the line at the cost of a campground hookup?
Hey Mark Z had to draw a line somewhere.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #10
gearhead

I signed on facebook when I was looking for hot rod parts for my GoDevil LOUISIANA mud boat. Seemed the small shops didn't have a website but used facebook instead. So now I'm following mudmotortalk, calcaseiu lake fishing, sabine lake fishing, arkansas tiller outboards, reavis family info, Shell employees, & high school alumni.
Quitting herion has to be easier.
say la vee
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Never been, never will be on Fake book!!
DW is on it, and that’s close enough for me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
Twisties

To each their own. I fully get the concept that we are the product, and all the tracking, etc. I also get frustrated with the stupidity and political bs. But, I do also keep track of my friends and relatives, see their pics, and regularly "talk" with them. So that's important.

As well, I used to run a local newsgroup which at it's peak had more influence than our local paper did. That's not opinion, but rather metrics. I did original reporting on local government entities and events. I encouraged others to provide citizen reporting, and they did. Together we were covering more meetings and entities than the paper, we were getting our pieces out faster, and with far greater accuracy.

During the Chetco Bar Fire, which was a major event in our community, my FB group became THE source for accurate up to date info, requests for help, discussion, etc.

Unfortunately, I got sued for a piece I wrote covering a county commission meeting. I won, in fact the judge literally laughed the plaintiff out of court, but the experience was enough for me to give the group away. It was getting too big anyway, too many trolls. Too hard to balance my desire to provide for discussion which was representative of the community such that all points of view were free to speak, and to control civility.

I don't miss it, but it is a good example of the best that FB can and should be.

I also use the buy/sell groups. Especially as we were cleaning up to sell the house and move into the RV. We sold a ton of stuff on FB, and also gave a ton away. As well, saved about $400 on motorcycle tire disposal when I found someone who could use them.

It's one of those things I hate, but can't get away from. It's simply too useful.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
Twisties

Quote:
Yep.

They said it was sexually explicit.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Jan, read this and think about it, your post:

"It's one of those things I hate, but can't get away from. It's simply too useful."

I've been around for a while and dealt with a lot of folks dealing with other, more harmful things, that said "they can't get away from it"...… These days I can't go into a cardiologist's office and not see everyone locked onto a device trying to do "something" - probably "useful"...in their mind. Do we think that is a good thing? Not being judgmental, just trying to provoke thought.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #15
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
Yep.

They said it was sexually explicit.
That explains it. Their language algorithms picked up on "hookup" and "cost" and incorrectly flagged it as solicitation, then after appeal and review the humans realized you were talking about campgrounds. That explains a lot. Cause your initial post had me scratching my head. Ha.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jan, read this and think about it, your post:

"It's one of those things I hate, but can't get away from. It's simply too useful."

I've been around for a while and dealt with a lot of folks dealing with other, more harmful things, that said "they can't get away from it"...… These days I can't go into a cardiologist's office and not see everyone locked onto a device trying to do "something" - probably "useful"...in their mind. Do we think that is a good thing? Not being judgmental, just trying to provoke thought.
Speaking of being at the cardiologist's office, one of the most prevalent causes of cardiac disease/hypertension is stress. Sitting in the waiting room, unable to "stop texting, stop reaching out to others, stop expecting a response, stop waiting for that immediate return answer, stop focusing on what to do next, stop being "in the moment and on top of it all"..... Hyper-stressful....

I'd wager that 50% of those sitting in the waiting room, unable to "sit without staying connected" or better put, unable to unwind, are, for that 50%, the major factor as to why they are at the cardiologist's office rather than somewhere else.

Many studies have concluded that "constant connection", social media, cell phones and inability to let go are just as addictive as cocaine, alcohol or even "prescription drugs indiscriminately prescribed"....

When someone can't make it the 15 miles to town and walk into WalMart without picking up their phone to "check to see if someone might have sent them something".... (it doesn't matter who, or what they might send, but when someone can't walk away, that's my point)…..

There's not a hill of beans difference between Facebook, Smart Phone, Twitter or now, going camping with In-command as an excuse to keep the phone in my pocket so I can close the awning...… ADDICTIVE LIFESTYLE !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Speaking of being at the cardiologist's office, one of the most prevalent causes of cardiac disease/hypertension is stress. Sitting in the waiting room, unable to "stop texting, stop reaching out to others, stop expecting a response, stop waiting for that immediate return answer, stop focusing on what to do next, stop being "in the moment and on top of it all"..... Hyper-stressful....

I'd wager that 50% of those sitting in the waiting room, unable to "sit without staying connected" or better put, unable to unwind, are, for that 50%, the major factor as to why they are at the cardiologist's office rather than somewhere else.

Many studies have concluded that "constant connection", social media, cell phones and inability to let go are just as addictive as cocaine, alcohol or even "prescription drugs indiscriminately prescribed"....

When someone can't make it the 15 miles to town and walk into WalMart without picking up their phone to "check to see if someone might have sent them something".... (it doesn't matter who, or what they might send, but when someone can't walk away, that's my point)…..

There's not a hill of beans difference between Facebook, Smart Phone, Twitter or now, going camping with In-command as an excuse to keep the phone in my pocket so I can close the awning...… ADDICTIVE LIFESTYLE !!!!!
"Back in the day"...I had a Blackberry phone when it first came out (company phone" Everyone that got one called it a "Crackberry" because it was so addicting.

Speaking of doctors (must be the day), I was returning from my pain management doctor's today and took the "back roads" home. I stopped at a stop sign, no one in site. I turned on the turn signal and thought "if there's no one there to see it do the turn signal lights still flash?" And that was without pain meds on board!]
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #18
CWtheMan

Because of my age I’m considered “old school”. However, when it comes to wireless communications I’m “present school”.

Back when cell phone communications was established throughout our FL community, my wife got me a cell phone. She just said that I was always using computers and I needed a cell phone. It was a huge analog unit. I was doing a lot of backwoods fishing by myself and she thought of it as just another safety devise. Now days we have Wi-Fi hotspots in our car/truck; Bluetooth phone connections that allows me to watch Netflix on my cell phone and voice dial any number in our files. I’ve been a member of Face Book since it was established. I just use it to communicate with my family and friends which I designate as being able to enter my pages. It’s a great place to store picture files in albums so you can immediately share them with your friends list. I have one album that has over 150 pictures of RV Parks/CGs where we have parked.

For me, FB is a personal communications system and that’s the way I use it. If I want to know something factual I use my computer. It’s proven to be much more accurate than personal opinions found on places like FB or Twitter.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:52 AM   #19
gearhead

Agree with John about stressing over being connected. I don't have facebook or any other social media on my cell phone. I just use it for calls and a few travel apps. Now I get so many robo calls I keep the ringer volume muted.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-31-2020, 05:07 AM   #20
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I’ve been a member of Face Book since it was established. I just use it to communicate with my family and friends which I designate as being able to enter my pages. It’s a great place to store picture files in albums so you can immediately share them with your friends list. I have one album that has over 150 pictures of RV Parks/CGs where we have parked.

For me, FB is a personal communications system and that’s the way I use it. If I want to know something factual I use my computer. It’s proven to be much more accurate than personal opinions found on places like FB or Twitter.
Ditto. I have created picture albums for all our camping trips over the past 7 years or so.