Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
Bechard

New Bullet Crossfire owner in Ontario Canada!

Hi everyone, I'll be picking up my 2018 2200BH Bullet Crossfire this Friday!

My wife and I have been camping together for twenty years (from high school), and continued when we had our kids. We normally camp once or twice a year with our full tent kit (renting a Uhaul closed trailer to haul it all), and this year we decided it was time to move to a trailer! We're excited to extend our season with the A/C and heat, and will be going for a break-in trip next weekend at a full service campground.

I've not found many complaints around the Bullet line here, so hopefully we're in for a good and easy time. I'm pretty handy for maintenance (checking seals, gaskets, electrical, gas, etc) and the trailer seems like the perfect fit for my family.

My only concern so far is leveling the trailer in my driveway, which has a ten inch drop over the 25' length of the trailer. So far I have four wheel chocks, and will be cutting up some 2x8 boards for the front jack, and as needed for the stabilizer jacks.

Any advice on making this work the safest way possible?
Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Congrads on the new RV. I'm sure you'll love it...there's lots to discover. This forum/YouTube/Goggle are great resources for info.

I used a 6"x6"x15" long block of wood with a 2x8 screwed on the bottom for my jack pad. The 6x6's could work for your jacks as well to take up some of that 10" slope. Also handy to have some 2x6 boards for under both tires to level up side to side. I have 2 pcs of the 2x6 and one pc of 3/4 ply approx. 5 ft. long cut to fit on top of each other with a 45 angle cut on the ends...stackable for different side levels at sites. Works great!
Happy camping
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Retired Copper

Welcome and congrads on the new rv. My last camping trip my tongue was waist high, used everything I had because site was off left and right; up and down. I had one 6x6 block for the tongue and now I have added another.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
travelin texans

Wow! I remember those days having a lumberyard of long/short scrap lumber filling the bed of the truck & 3-4 tries adding more pieces under either side tires trying to level up side to side, worn out by the time I get unhooked.
Now I have 2 sets of Lynx Levelers, if needed & push the "auto level" button & hook up the water/cable tv while it's leveling, done, grab an adult beverage & chill.
Sorry! Don't mean to rub it in, but will NEVER own another rv that doesn't have the auto leveling system!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Bechard

My leveling issue isn't side to side, it's hitch to rear when it's parked in my sloped driveway for the camping season when we're home. It's going to a nice level gravel driveway for the winter at a friend's place fortunately.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Yes I got that...the 6x6 will help on your 10" drop. Of course you can always stack 10 of those Lynx Levellers You will probably need something for levelling side to side when you're on a site unless you have one of those auto levelling buttons
Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Retired Copper

I had 14 camco blocks and used them. 10 on just the right side. Very pretty older campground. I prefer to not extend the tongue jack as it seems to sway a little more. I could have used 2more 10 packs lol.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #8
Bechard

I have a stack of 2x10 pressure treated boards, and some thinner left over decking that I can use to add some height.

When I'm camping, I'll have some extra boards for leveling, plus a board for each stabilizer jack. At home I'm on a level side to side driveway, just dealing with the 10-12" drop over 25'.

I watched a YouTube video where a guy did the following:
  1. Chocks on the trailer wheels
  2. Raise Hitch lift all the way up (to make room for boards under it)
  3. Lower Hitch lift all the way down (while hitched), with as many stacked boards under it as you can fit.
  4. Once the Hitch Lift is at the full height (and off the hitch ball), lower FRONT stabilizer jacks onto 6 2x4 blocks on each side.
  5. Raise the Hitch lift as high as possible (putting weight on the front stabilizers).
  6. Fit as many wood blocks under Hitch Lift as possible.
  7. Lower Hitch Lift until level.
  8. Lower rear stabilizer jacks.

A couple questions here;
  1. Is it safe to leave the weight of the trailer on the front stabilizers while the front hitch lift is up for a few minutes assuming most of the weight should still be on the axles?
  2. Should I be using regular plastic and rubber chocks (rubber for the lower wheels facing down to prevent slipping?) or should I invest in X-Chocks to firmly fit between the wheels?
  3. Is this guy crazy, or can this work?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

No you can't put weight on stabilizer jacks, not designed for that. The only way I see doing it is raising the jack as high as it will go then fit some solid blocking under it (concrete block may work) and unhitch with wheels chocked of course. I think the X-chocks work best just remember to tight them after your tires have cooled down.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Bechard

Thanks for the confirmation. If my hitch jack isn't quite high enough to be level, should I use an automotive jack on other blocks (after wheel chocks) to lift the fully extended hitch jack higher?

The idea is that this could give me some additional height to throw another board or two under the hitch jack, which can then be lowered back onto the wood, and then remove the automotive jack.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I was thinking the same after watching the video. I would jack it up evenly by using a steel cross member under both rails.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
Bechard

Good call on the steel cross member. I'll give that a shot on Friday when I excitedly pick up this new trailer.

I'm not 100% sure I need the X chocks though, as my grade isn't absurdly steep, and I do have big rubber chocks for the front wheels, and the standard chocks for the back.

Are X-chocks required for the grade I've described, or should I be fine? I've been spending a small fortune on all these one time expenses to get started.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Good heavy chocks are fine. I find the X type fit more tight.

Fridays are usually pretty good anyway but this one will be better for sure
Old 09-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
Bechard

Well as an update, PDI found only two small issues (brake light bulb popped out, negative battery cable needed tightening), and I ran every system before o signed off on delivery. We had an amazing torrential downpour the night before the inspection, and no signs of any issues at all.

Currently parked in my driveway with my daughter hanging out in her bunk, with the heat on, and shore power connected.

We're extremely happy with this trailer as we load our usual tenting gear into it's new permenant home, with tons of storage for everything.

We're taking the bullet out next weekend for its maiden voyage, can't wait!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180928_172955.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	18738Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180928_150043.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	18739Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180928_172100.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	18740
Old 09-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Looking good Bechard, and nice parking job!
Enjoy next weekend...we're heading out also for our last trip of our first RV season. Looking forward to 4 nights over the Thanksgiving long weekend. Camping @ Rideau Acres near Kingston Ontario...it's been a great season of first time RVing!

Tags
bullet