Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
MontanaMike

Cable Slide Motor Question

My 2015 Carbon 357 has 3 cable slides in it. The wardrobe in the bedroom, the couch slide and the kitchen (with stove, microwave and fridge) slide. Recently the kitchen slide motor sounds like it's bogging down when it's pulling the slide in and sometimes will just quit about 80% in. If I let off the switch for 10 seconds and then it will retract the rest of the way. None of the other slides do it and even it doesn't sound that way when pushing the slide out. Just pulling it it in. Doesn't seems to matter on the state of the batteries either. It does it plugged into shore power as well just in batteries. I thought initially it might be due to heat but the motor itself doesn't feel hot when it does it.

Any thoughts? Am I going to need a new motor soon? Is it possibly too much tension on the cables? I've emptied out some weight from the slide and it still seems to do it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550X2
MontanaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
dcg9381

How are your cables adjusted? Look at the seals all the way around to make sure that it's not binding in the opening...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Scarem

Don't worry. The windings could be getting weak and heating up. If it fails, take the wardrobe motor off after you retract it and stick it on the kitchen slide. That will get you home. Match mark the chains to the gear
Scarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
MontanaMike

I never thought of that. Good idea!

As far as the guides go, they seem to be OK but I can't see the ones inside on the left due to the corner of the island peninsula the slide is in. From the outside it seems fine. Funny it would strain coming in but not going out.

Stock photo
Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You could try putting some baby powder on the seals. It wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
MontanaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
You could try putting some baby powder on the seals. It wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
The rubber seals around the slide?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
theallde

Had the same symptoms on one of my 2 cable slides, had the motor replaced and now works fine. I now carry spare cable kit and motor since they are not usually in stock.

My next trailer will NOT have cable slides, they are a PITA in my opinion.

Suggestion: Place cardboard under the motor during and after the motor repair to catch any oil etc. that may drip onto the slide out roof.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMike View Post
The rubber seals around the slide?
Yes, the powder acts as a lubricant and does not cause stickiness between the rubber and the contact surfaces from partial wetness. That sometimes leads to dragging and excess noise. Good luck with your issue.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
MontanaMike

Thanks all. I'll look at the motors tonight to check the model #s (seems there a few different ones out there) and get a replacement ordered up to have as a hot spare and I'll try the baby powder trick as well.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
B-O-B'03

Hiya Mike,

Not to change the subject or anything but what kind of fire pit is that in your avatar?

It looks like the one we have, made out of a washing machine tub... We call it the "Maytag"

-Brian
Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
MontanaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Hiya Mike,

Not to change the subject or anything but what kind of fire pit is that in your avatar?

It looks like the one we have, made out of a washing machine tub... We call it the "Maytag"

-Brian
It's just an old rusty steel ring that the Forest Service has at a public campground I frequent.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I've had multiple issues with the exact problem you are having.

Inspect all your seals; particularly the bottom one. Make sure it has not broken/torn and been pulled under the slide causing a problem with sliding on the wear bar.

Look on the inside corners of the slide with it pulled in about a foot. Look for any debris/carpeting/junk caught under it.

Pull down the bottom seal and hold it open with a ruler or something and look across the entire bottom of the slide where it slides on the wear bar and make sure there is nothing there.

If all that fails, wash the entire underside of the slide with Dawn and warm water, rinse and dry (might do this anyway). Then use the baby powder on the seals if it's still bogging.

After the above procedure I sprayed the underside of my slides with a product called Zep 45 (recommended by AccuSlide/Norco/Bal?). I extended and retracted the slide a number of times then wiped off the excess. It didn't seem to help until the next day when they started operating correctly.

What kind of bottom do you have on the slide? If you are unfortunate like me and have a Darco bottom they may be wearing where it slides on the wear bar. To prevent further issues with mine I had a Teflon like material, 1' wide, 1/8" thick and the depth of the slides installed on each end and in the middle of the large slides (the bedroom runs on rollers). This has rectified the bogging, snagging, wearing of the wear bars and wear on the Darco fabric. I've been very pleased with the performance since I did it last year but it did cost to the tune of $2200. I said a "Teflon like material". I did not use Teflon because the products to make it are in short supply currently and it cost $800 per ft........yes, that wasn't a misprint.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
MontanaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've had multiple issues with the exact problem you are having.

Inspect all your seals; particularly the bottom one. Make sure it has not broken/torn and been pulled under the slide causing a problem with sliding on the wear bar.

Look on the inside corners of the slide with it pulled in about a foot. Look for any debris/carpeting/junk caught under it.

Pull down the bottom seal and hold it open with a ruler or something and look across the entire bottom of the slide where it slides on the wear bar and make sure there is nothing there.

If all that fails, wash the entire underside of the slide with Dawn and warm water, rinse and dry (might do this anyway). Then use the baby powder on the seals if it's still bogging.

After the above procedure I sprayed the underside of my slides with a product called Zep 45 (recommended by AccuSlide/Norco/Bal?). I extended and retracted the slide a number of times then wiped off the excess. It didn't seem to help until the next day when they started operating correctly.

What kind of bottom do you have on the slide? If you are unfortunate like me and have a Darco bottom they may be wearing where it slides on the wear bar. To prevent further issues with mine I had a Teflon like material, 1' wide, 1/8" thick and the depth of the slides installed on each end and in the middle of the large slides (the bedroom runs on rollers). This has rectified the bogging, snagging, wearing of the wear bars and wear on the Darco fabric. I've been very pleased with the performance since I did it last year but it did cost to the tune of $2200. I said a "Teflon like material". I did not use Teflon because the products to make it are in short supply currently and it cost $800 per ft........yes, that wasn't a misprint.

whoa! I'll take a look at all the slides tonight to see if the bottoms show anything weird on them and clean/baby powder them like you recommended. I've got no idea what type of bottom is on it. I'll get some pictures and inspect it thoroughly.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
MontanaMike

This is the underside of the slide in question. I didn't have any baby powder but I'll pick up some this weekend and attempt to dust the seals. btw, to me, all the seals looked good and I tried to get a view inside this seal using a ruler and really couldn't see anything. the gap is pretty narrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170823_162441.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	13855

on a related note...anyone know which model of motor this is?

Name:	20170823_164909.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	13856

these are the different motors from the service manual.

Name:	slide motors.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	13857
Old 08-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMike View Post
This is the underside of the slide in question. I didn't have any baby powder but I'll pick up some this weekend and attempt to dust the seals. btw, to me, all the seals looked good and I tried to get a view inside this seal using a ruler and really couldn't see anything. the gap is pretty narrow.

on a related note...anyone know which model of motor this is?

these are the different motors from the service manual.

Don't know if it's just me but I didn't get any of the pics.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #16
MontanaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Don't know if it's just me but I didn't get any of the pics.

Well..crap. Doesn't like like Google Photos will share those pics and the forums doesn't appear to support Photobucket. Know of a photo sharing service the forum does support?

edit...never mind. the forum supports attachments directly so no need for a photo sharing service.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

The underside of the slide appears to be Darco fabric. In my experience it can and will accumulate "stuff" on the underside keeping it from being as slick as it needs to be - especially on the coast with salty air where we stay in the winter (at least that's what I attribute it to). We wash the undersides at least twice a year and I now wax the Teflon like material I had installed. Keep an eye on the Darco and the bottom seals. The Darco can begin to fray from contact with the wear bar and the bottom seal (or any of them) can get caught and tear.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #18
Sandi587

Another thing to check would be the circuit breaker for the motor. I had the same issue as you have, slide would move about 80% of the travel and then just quit. After about 20 seconds it would move again, and finish. While under warranty took it in, they replaced motor. Started acting up again within weeks.

In troubleshooting the system I found that I had a bad circuit breaker for that slide motor. Each motor should have its own circuit breaker, mine were in the battery compartment. I don't think it was rated to take the load the motor required. They're thermal breakers, heat up too much under heavy load. Was a small metal box with two posts on it.

I replaced the old circuit breakers with upgraded ones, like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Asdomo-12V-24...ircuit+breaker

Slide motor works flawlessly now.

2013 Dodge Ram Dually
2014 Fuzion 404 Chrome
Sandi587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
MontanaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi587 View Post
Another thing to check would be the circuit breaker for the motor. I had the same issue as you have, slide would move about 80% of the travel and then just quit. After about 20 seconds it would move again, and finish. While under warranty took it in, they replaced motor. Started acting up again within weeks.

In troubleshooting the system I found that I had a bad circuit breaker for that slide motor. Each motor should have its own circuit breaker, mine were in the battery compartment. I don't think it was rated to take the load the motor required. They're thermal breakers, heat up too much under heavy load. Was a small metal box with two posts on it.

I'm sure there is a fuse in the fuse center but not sure if mine has a circuit breaker on that line but I'll look around for it.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
MontanaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi587 View Post

So this might be the culprit. Any suggestions on where to find this circuit breaker? When pulling in the slide today it went about a foot and stopped. The switch did nothing...not even a click. Waited about seconds and heard a click from up near the slide motor. Pushed the button and it came in about another foot and stopped dead. Wash/repeat 3 or 4 times and the slide was all the ways in but each time, the switch was dead and then I heard a click and then the slide would come in again. I don't see any fuse or breaker (see picture attached) anywhere near it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tags
cable, slide