Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
TimSal

Cougar proper operation of landing gear???

Can anyone explain to me the proper operation of the electric operated landing gear. If used it twice now and both time when I try to raise the trailer off the 5th wheel to disconnect the 30 amp inline minifuse is blown. Kind of a pain to learn the hard way when we checked into our site a few weeks ago down south and the landing gear didn't work after 14 hours on the road. thanks.
TimSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Jim W

The function of the landing gear and legs are to raise the kin pin off of the receiver of the hitch and level the front of the 5er.

The way I was instructed to level the trailer was to inspect site check for high or low spots. Level side to side first with long boards under tires as required once level then lower front legs. Install wheel chocks to prevent roll back or rolling forward when hitch is release. You may need to add blocking under one or both of your legs before truck is driven away to level front to back. Place truck gear shift in neutral take strain off of hitch and pin. Once 5er has been raised off of receiver and truck has been driven away return to the position that the 5er was level front to back. You can then lower rear stabilizers to stabilize the trailer, place blocking under the stabilizer as required. You can then proceed to finish set-up of 5er.

Now if the above instructions are close to what you do then I would look at the operation of the landing gears. Are they legs free to move in the camper body? Are the legs plump to begin with? Does the motor get extremely hot when raising the legs? If any of these symptoms are present I would take back to the dealer to have them fix the system to prevent the fuses from failing.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
rjsurfer

Sounds like your trying to lift the camper AND the truck, just lift the front end enough to raise the truck on its springs.

And follow Jim W.'s write up...perfect.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
injoying life

Hi TimSal--I was having the same issue with my 2009 318 SAB Cougar. I found when I was lowering landing gear if I accidently reversed direction of switch I would blow inline fuse. Now I make sure the switch is held in one direction and if changing direction I pause before reversing. Through research I have read others have been told by manufacturer's of landing gear to increase fuse size to a 40. I have found I have not needed to do this. Hope this helps.
injoying life is offline   Reply With Quote