Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
bigbendq

converter noise

Just took delivery on a 2012 High Country 291RLS. We are very satisfied to date with the overall quality, fit and finish of the this unit. One concern however is the converter noise. Granted, the literature for the converter explains that the higher the 12V demand, the more cooling required for the converter. However, the converter has a very noticeable hum, almost resembles failing bearings, noticeably loud to the point that even with the TV on the converter is heard over the sound of the TV, and this is just with 3 of the ceiling lights on. Is this normal? Is this a bad converter? Are any of your units any better? Thanks for any feedback!
bigbendq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Is it possible what you are hearing is just a loud cooling fan. My old converter had a very loud fan and was really annoying.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
bigbendq

It is no doubt the fan, but is that the normal sound level for these units. Seems a little anoying. I have had many campers over the years with converters, and maybe those bygone units didn't have fans, but this seems a little excessive.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

If the fan noise is excessive you should be able to get your dealer to just replace the fan under warranty. (Hopefully) If you are handy it may be easier to replace the fan yourself. It is just a 12v cabinet fan.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
f6bits

My fan runs when a) lots of 12V stuff, including lights, are turned on, and/or b) when the battery is charging from a near-dead state.

Under no circumstances does mine make a loud hum. It’s a pleasant whir of a quiet fan. When the furnace is running, I need to put my ear near the converter to hear the fan. As soon as the urge overcomes me, I’ll be upgrading mine to a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power 4600 series.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbendq View Post
Just took delivery on a 2012 High Country 291RLS. We are very satisfied to date with the overall quality, fit and finish of the this unit. One concern however is the converter noise. Granted, the literature for the converter explains that the higher the 12V demand, the more cooling required for the converter. However, the converter has a very noticeable hum, almost resembles failing bearings, noticeably loud to the point that even with the TV on the converter is heard over the sound of the TV, and this is just with 3 of the ceiling lights on. Is this normal? Is this a bad converter? Are any of your units any better? Thanks for any feedback!
We took delivery of a new Montana 3800RE in January and just returned form a 7 week trip and the whole time we were in the trailer, even with alot of lights on etc. you couldn't even here the converter at all. In our 2011 Cougar 327 when we brought it home when new, I plugged it into the shop and blew the diode out of the converter and smoked up the inside of the trailer so it is possible you do have a defective converter. Also on the 327 the dealearship told me keystone didn't have it grounded to the frame, so they did that installing a new converter. As mentioned, possible just fan noise but if you have nothing on and is still noisy, I would encourage the dealear to replace it. Happy Campin...........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
charltons

I barely hear our fan running. Only really hear it at night when everything else is quiet.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
bearandjake

converter noise

Hello there,
My fifth wheel has no coverter noise at. But you should have 2-12 volt batteries
or 4-6 volts. this will eliminate the drain on the batteries. Also check you battery
water levels,friends of ours were given dry batteries in there unit. the dealer said they PDI the unit. But they didn't,there converter was frying the batteries.

They smelt the burning converter and we saved it. They bought new batteries
now and will fight later with the dealer.

hope this helps,Blair.
2005 3500 DODGE RAM 5.9 CUMMINS DIESEL,
6 SPEED MAN TRANS,CUMMINS JAKE BRAKE.
REESE 16K SLIDER HITCH,DOUBLE PIVOT,
INSTALLED IN 6FT BOX 4X4.

1-CHOCOLATE LAB/RETRIEVER & 1 GOLDEN LAB/
RETRIEVER/LOVING DOGS.
bearandjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
bigbendq

I will look into having the converter or possibly just the fan replaced. It sounds as if this units converter noise is exceptionally loud.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbendq View Post
When our converter went bad it would make a terrible squealing sound. I was assuming it was the cooling fan bearing but never got a chance to replace the fan before the converter stopped working all together. Had to run off of the battery for over a week before I could get it replaced. Not fun!! Was charging it with the truck usually once or twice a day depending on what we had running.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote