Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
Dallasrules

Va to new Orleans

I will be traveling from Shenandoah Valley VA to New Orleans in February towing a 37' 5th wheel. It is a 15 hour trip and I haven't towed this far before. I am looking for advise on the route and campgrounds around 1/2 way.

Google maps has
81S 350 miles
40W 53 miles
I75 83 miles
I24W 18 miles
I59S 420 miles

Any suggestions, recommendations, or just advice is welcome.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
travelin texans

Can't help with the routes you've posted, but 925 miles in 15 hours is very optimistic. From my personal experiences if you can average 50 mph that's doing pretty good factoring fuel, potty & food stops. Figuring 18+ hours would be more realistic.
Unless you have an auxiliary fuel tank in your truck that trip will use approximately 100 gallons of fuel (925 miles @ 9 mpg), unless your right foot is heavy &/or relatively flat terrain = at least 3-4 fuel stops.
Figure 2 food stops, either fast food or in the rv.
If you're anything like us, meaning old with small bladders, you'll need a potty stop about every hour to hour & half, if not to potty but just to stretch out a bit.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
Dallasrules

I plan to make it a 2 day trip each way and plan on 8 - 10 hours each day. Hope to have 3 drivers, but maybe only 2. It will be a big step for me because I don't usually let anyone drive my rig.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
I plan to make it a 2 day trip each way and plan on 8 - 10 hours each day. Hope to have 3 drivers, but maybe only 2. It will be a big step for me because I don't usually let anyone drive my rig.

You still might want to rethink the travel. 8-10hrs is a LONG time for an experienced driver pulling an RV in one stretch much less letting someone else help; what is their experience towing an RV or with your truck/trailer combo?

Figuring 1000 miles and avg. 50mph = 20 hrs. You shouldn't drive over 65 and probably less. You need to take potty/food breaks someway, even if you have 2-3 drivers, and, no matter who those drivers need to take a break from time to time. I don't stop for "meals" nor do I cook them on the road. I eat something from a gas stop place along with snacks/sandwiches etc. DW puts in for us. I do however need to stop and stretch...or wake up.

I along with many others on the forum make long trips quite often. It's not a big deal but trying to rush or compress the required timeframe will only make everyone either miserable, uncomfortable or unhappy. Take the time to enjoy the trip and the drive. And no, I've never let anyone drive any of my rigs and won't unless I'm in a coma.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:55 AM   #5
gearhead

Like others, I think you may want to re-think the time required.
I recommend campgroundreviews.com
There are some decent campgrounds around Tuscaloosa not too far off I59. Jennings Ferry COE and Tannehill Ironworks come to mind. But, you might want to focus on commercial parks for a quick easy to park & hookup drive through.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:31 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I would agree with the previous comments on avg speed over a long distance. It's been my experience that to AVERAGE 50 mph may require driving 70+ mph and driving "hard". Every stop requires a slow down, the actual stop, then time to resume the speed. Don't think it's that much? Then try this experiment: Next trip use your phone as a stop watch. When you lift off the accelerator to hit a rest stop or fuel station start the timer. The don’t stop the timer until you are back on the highway and back up to your cruising speed. You'll be amazed at the amount of time spent not moving at your desired speed.

The other consideration when towing is the time spent behind the wheel. For the typical driver towing is more stressful than not towing. You will fatigue faster and you may not realize that your response times and thinking is compromised. Now every time this subject comes about there will be some excess testosterone around the campfire and you will hear the "super human" tales of "I drive 1,200 miles straight thru all the time." Well for most of us mortals that just doesn't work, especially with the longer we age. There's a reason that commercial drivers have a limit on the hours allowes driving during a 24 hr time period.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
K_N_L

If you have a Good Sam membership they have a pretty decent trip planner that you can use. It shows 'driving time' between waypoints, allowing to add things like campgrounds, fuel stops or other POI's . You can save your trips and print out directions if so needed. If the driving time is about 5-6 hours between points, we figure thats is typically enough for us in one day with rest stops, etc.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote