Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2022, 11:03 AM   #1
jasin1

roof membrane split

getting ready to cover the fiver and looked up and found a split along the edge …
it looks like the outside wall is protruding up where the plywood roof meets the wall …there is a gap where the roof plywood does not meet the sidewall and the membrane is creasing on that sharp edge. i could just put a piece of eternabond tape along that spot but want opinions on warranty and if i need to leave it open for them to see it.
really would love to avoid warranty but doesn’t look possible for this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0E8E8B5-B88C-421A-8BB7-5D334F064C7B.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	42361   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB807166-F759-4022-B3AE-1A800991BB87.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	42362   Click image for larger version

Name:	0ACEB00D-2C2B-4E4F-B0F8-A37E1471B7EB.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	42363   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF04B3D7-873F-4DB8-80F7-68ADAA411B43.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	42364  
Old 11-22-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Doesn't the manufacturer of the roof put a 12 year warranty on it? It is likely to do the same crack/split along that seem on other parts of that side of the camper. Guess a call to your dealer is in order and protect that split from moisture in the mean time. I am sure most all of this has already occurred to you Brian... good luck. wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
jasin1

thanks George …i called and sent pics just now to my dealer and the service lady didn’t seem to think it would be covered because my 1 year total warranty was expired ..i said what about the roof warranty? and she said you would think it would be covered but probably not and she said “your structural warranty is expired because it’s been two years” … i said “ it’s supposed to be 3 years”.. she said well ok we can check…she said she will submit them to her warranty person at the dealer who will contact keystone…. not getting a good feeling about this one.
she said don’t bother repairing if i’m putting a cover on because they may want to look at it..but i’m gonna seal it with something before the next rain
Old 11-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
jlc

You have a 3 year structure warranty. Your dealer should submit to Keystone with the request.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
jasin1

update ….they told me to repair with tape and they will submit to keystone to see how they want to handle it…hopefully hear something soon and can get this resolved before my florida trip
Old 11-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
update ….they told me to repair with tape and they will submit to keystone to see how they want to handle it…hopefully hear something soon and can get this resolved before my florida trip
You are running into slow as molasses season (Thanksgiving to mid-January) as far as getting stuff done from a service standpoint. Your dealer's response probably didn't inspire warm, wet feelings. Keep us posted.

That structural issue that seems to have caused the split; is it evident in other directions on your roof? Well, Eternabond it is?
Old 11-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You are running into slow as molasses season (Thanksgiving to mid-January) as far as getting stuff done from a service standpoint. Your dealer's response probably didn't inspire warm, wet feelings. Keep us posted.

That structural issue that seems to have caused the split; is it evident in other directions on your roof? Well, Eternabond it is?
you can see some of it from the picture …it’s a line that follows the split all the way front to back on the door side mostly ..it’s like when they cut the sidewall at the top they didn’t cut all the way through the material and they left a burr all the way across that is sharp….the roof deck doesn’t meet up with the wall so it’s a sharp edge right under the membrane…when the sun heats it up it gets as tight as a snare drum and has been slowly cutting into it

the second picture you can actually see the sharp edge

the lady from the service dept actually made me feel a little better when she called me back..she promptly emailed me confirmation of pictures and then called and said i could seal it after her manager looked at the pics.
i used eternabond after cleaning it with eternabond cleaner first ..they said that was fine
Old 11-23-2022, 04:40 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

This thread will likely drop off the radar because there will be a span of time while the dealer works through the warranty issue with Keystone so be sure to post back on developments. I did see the line on the membrane extending beyond the split and that is why I asked about it. The Eternabond pretty much ensures a proper repair of the roof membrane can't be done as it will probably pull the split all the way along the length if you try to remove it. That stuff doesn't like to let go. Do follow up and have a blessed and peaceful Thanksgiving (don't talk politics with those you spend the meal with)....
Old 11-23-2022, 05:07 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
This thread will likely drop off the radar because there will be a span of time while the dealer works through the warranty issue with Keystone so be sure to post back on developments. I did see the line on the membrane extending beyond the split and that is why I asked about it. The Eternabond pretty much ensures a proper repair of the roof membrane can't be done as it will probably pull the split all the way along the length if you try to remove it. That stuff doesn't like to let go. Do follow up and have a blessed and peaceful Thanksgiving (don't talk politics with those you spend the meal with)....
thanks again George and guess i screwed up using eternabond ? the dealer said to use rv repair tape and i asked them “eternabond?” and they said yeah that’s good…ughhhh

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!
Old 11-23-2022, 05:24 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
You have a 3 year structure warranty. Your dealer should submit to Keystone with the request.
thanks yeah they submitted it
Old 11-23-2022, 05:58 AM   #11
ChuckS

I would have used the eternabond tape for that myself.. Its Nov and I will be surprised if you get any response back from Keystone anytime soon.. And sadly I will venture they "deny the claim".... but I could be surprised.

I have had excellent success removing eternabond tape by using the wifes hair dryer and warming it up a bit and then gently working the tape off the TPO covering..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:09 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I would have used the eternabond tape for that myself.. Its Nov and I will be surprised if you get any response back from Keystone anytime soon.. And sadly I will venture they "deny the claim".... but I could be surprised.

I have had excellent success removing eternabond tape by using the wifes hair dryer and warming it up a bit and then gently working the tape off the TPO covering..
yeah i’m hopeful they accept responsibility as that will factor into any future purchases

other then this it’s been a great rv
Old 11-23-2022, 06:19 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I think you said you took some good pics; hopefully that will negate the need for removing the Eternabond. I've never tried to remove the stuff but it always seemed to be stuck for "eternity"....but I never actually tried to remove it nor ChuckS's method so sounds like it should be doable if the need arises.

Hopefully Keystone/the dealer will find a way to get that approved for repair. Keep us apprised.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:23 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think you said you took some good pics; hopefully that will negate the need for removing the Eternabond. I've never tried to remove the stuff but it always seemed to be stuck for "eternity"....but I never actually tried to remove it nor ChuckS's method so sounds like it should be doable if the need arises.

Hopefully Keystone/the dealer will find a way to get that approved for repair. Keep us apprised.
thanks…will update
Old 11-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Heat gun will help removing eternabond, it’s messy though.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #16
CedarCreekWoody

If a sharp edge cut it that sounds like a manufacturing issue, not a failure of the roof membrane. I wish you well in Keystone covering it.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #17
DBax

I had the exact same issue with my 2020 Cougar 366RDS. Several splits along the sharp edge of the roof sheathing where it meets the sidewall. I took it to Camping World where I bought the RV and they inspected it and took pictures to process a claim with Keystone. The claim was denied. They said I must have rubbed a tree or something. I spoke to them directly and they wouldn't budge. I'll refrain from negativities about Keystones customer service. I ended up removing the rain gutters and applying Eternabond tape along the entire edge of the roof front to back and then re-intalling the gutters over the Eternabond. This worked well and hasn't been an issue. The Eternabond does bubble a little and doesn't stay completely flat though. This summer I plan to replace the roof membrane and when I do I will install a radius on that edge to get rid of that sharp corner. In my opinion this should have been done when they manufactured the RV.
DBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBax View Post
... This summer I plan to replace the roof membrane and when I do I will install a radius on that edge to get rid of that sharp corner. In my opinion this should have been done when they manufactured the RV.
Years ago, when trailers had metal roofs, first was galvanized tin, then later aluminum sheeting, all of the "upper level trailers" had radius edges on the roof and even several of the entry level and mid level trailers, depending on the manufacturer. Then along came EPDM (rubber) roofing and all trailers had radius roof edging. That lasted about 2 or 3 years, and in their "bean counter mentality" most of the trailer manufacturers eliminated the radius molding and just cut the 1/2" or 3/8" plywood roof sheeting at a 45 degree angle. Then came even "cheaper materials and cheaper builds" and the plywood was reduced to 5/16" or 1/4" and cutting a "smoothing angle" on the edge of that thin OSB just didn't help, but they never went back to the radius molding, just started using TPO and to hell with sharp edges....

Now, some roofs are 1/8" luan bonded to 2" of styrofoam, and that roof construction is even more unreliable at the edges.

You'll do good for your reliability if you add a radius aluminum extrusion to the trailer roof/sidewall union. While "they tell us" that TPO is reliable and "they tell us" that it's warrantied for 15 years, truth of the matter is that unless you can get Keystone to provide warranty repairs in the first year, the chances are slim to none that Keystone will provide any help at all during the remainder of that "structural warranty"... They list the roof and the membrane installation, but not damage or "failure due to installation" and trying to "prove to them that it's their fault" is almost impossible.....

If you replace the membrane and add an extrusion radius, you should have a much more reliable roof. You might consider some of the aftermarket "permanent roof installations". Some are guaranteed for the life of the original owner and a few even will transfer the guarantee to a second buyer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:52 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Years ago, when trailers had metal roofs, first was galvanized tin, then later aluminum sheeting, all of the "upper level trailers" had radius edges on the roof and even several of the entry level and mid level trailers, depending on the manufacturer. Then along came EPDM (rubber) roofing and all trailers had radius roof edging. That lasted about 2 or 3 years, and in their "bean counter mentality" most of the trailer manufacturers eliminated the radius molding and just cut the 1/2" or 3/8" plywood roof sheeting at a 45 degree angle. Then came even "cheaper materials and cheaper builds" and the plywood was reduced to 5/16" or 1/4" and cutting a "smoothing angle" on the edge of that thin OSB just didn't help, but they never went back to the radius molding, just started using TPO and to hell with sharp edges....

Now, some roofs are 1/8" luan bonded to 2" of styrofoam, and that roof construction is even more unreliable at the edges.

You'll do good for your reliability if you add a radius aluminum extrusion to the trailer roof/sidewall union. While "they tell us" that TPO is reliable and "they tell us" that it's warrantied for 15 years, truth of the matter is that unless you can get Keystone to provide warranty repairs in the first year, the chances are slim to none that Keystone will provide any help at all during the remainder of that "structural warranty"... They list the roof and the membrane installation, but not damage or "failure due to installation" and trying to "prove to them that it's their fault" is almost impossible.....

If you replace the membrane and add an extrusion radius, you should have a much more reliable roof. You might consider some of the aftermarket "permanent roof installations". Some are guaranteed for the life of the original owner and a few even will transfer the guarantee to a second buyer.
RV-Armor (rv-armor.com) warranties for the life of the RV and is fully transferable. FlexArmor has updated their warranty to match. Both are good solutions as they both give you a permanent roof which doesn't need period service. The penetrations are sealed with their product.

I went with RV-Armor as they come to your location where I would have had to haul my 5th wheel up to Bertram TX and leave it for a few weeks as they do all their work at a service location. Neither are cheap but the price really isn't terrirble considering the price of a new TPO roof and the difference in roof quality.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #20
jasin1

UPDATE..
roof repair denied…after my dealer agreed that they could see the sharp edge from the pictures of the wall probably caused the split, Keystone denied when sent to them..disappointing

Tags
roof