Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
morrie419

New--checking in from MI

New to the forum and Keystone, not to camping. Just upgraded from my 2003 Dutchmen Lite 28BH (original owner) and bought a Passport GT 2704rk. Towing with a 2019 Silverado 1500LD Z71 3.42 axle. ( I miss my old 2500HD)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	35768  
morrie419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Welcome! Quite and upgrade and a nice looking trailer...

I can see why you miss your 3/4 ton. 32' and over 1000 lbs tongue weight will make for uneasy and possibly unsafe towing with the 1/2 ton you have now. 13 percent of your new trailer's gross weight is north of 1000 lbs tongue weight and add passengers, hitch, stuff in truck and given the length of your bumper pull, might not be pleasant going down the road.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
morrie419

Trailer is 6400# dry. I travel light. No mountain of wood in the bed,etc. First trip out was during a windy storm. I felt it for sure. 65mph max in the right lane. No mountain trips planned.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrie419 View Post
... 65mph max in the right lane. ....
Check the rating of your tires. Most factory installed tires are not a higher quality tire, and, unless yours is the exception, most likely, has a speed rating of 65 mph. Exceeding the speed limit on your tires is a blow-out waiting to happen. Just an FYI. So, even if (and when) you get a heftier tow vehicle that will be capable of towing at faster speeds, you are still limited to the speed of your trailer tires. Yes, a word of caution, and a word of warning is given here.

Good luck and congrats on your new camper!
Old 09-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
morrie419

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Check the rating of your tires. Most factory installed tires are not a higher quality tire, and, unless yours is the exception, most likely, has a speed rating of 65 mph. Exceeding the speed limit on your tires is a blow-out waiting to happen. Just an FYI. So, even if (and when) you get a heftier tow vehicle that will be capable of towing at faster speeds, you are still limited to the speed of your trailer tires. Yes, a word of caution, and a word of warning is given here.

Good luck and congrats on your new camper!

I don't really see the need to exceed 65mph while towing. Even with a bigger truck.

The factory tires on the truck are horrible. Already looking at better tires. Trailer tires are D rated Trailer King I believe, have to double check the numbers.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrie419 View Post
Trailer is 6400# dry. I travel light. No mountain of wood in the bed,etc. First trip out was during a windy storm. I felt it for sure. 65mph max in the right lane. No mountain trips planned.
Just FYI! The dry weight of any RV is a meaningless number!
Also with the "I travel light", "no mountain trips" & "only 65 mph in the right lane" comments you're only kidding yourself in an attempt to convince yourself you have plenty of truck!
From my experiences, & probably a good many others on this forum will confirm, you will be at or very near the GVWR of your rv within the 1st half dozen trips. There's stuff you feel you just absolutely need this trip that will never get taken out afterwards.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:14 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from Northern MN.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
Camping family

Welcome from a transplanted Michigan gander originally from the small town of Hamtramck now in Nc.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote